It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK parrot 'had deadly bird flu'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
The bird that died in quarantine, in the UK, has been confirmed to have the deadly H5N1 strain that has resulted in death of human life. 2,000 birds being held in eight quarantine facilities in the UK are being checked.

news.bbc.co.uk
A parrot that died from bird flu in UK quarantine did have the H5N1 strain that has killed at least 60 people in Asia, tests have confirmed.

The bird came from Surinam in South America - a region free from bird flu.

The UK's chief vet, Debby Reynolds, said the parrot probably contracted the virus from other birds in quarantine - perhaps a group from Taiwan.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Its been stated that is hard for H5N1 to pass from birds to humans and the risk of it doing so is very low. But experts are still trying not to create a fear state and stating there no threat of a pandemic yet.

[edit on 10/26/05 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Quarantine doesn't sound like it's doing much good, does it??......If they lump all the birds from all over the globe in together, letting them contract the disease from other birds that are already sick, or exposed..........how will they ever figure out where the flu is coming from???!!

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   
Something's wrong with the source link.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
working fine for me..

i dont see the problem

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
I'm getting a BBC News Page Not found from that link also -- but I have seen the article here also.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Oh my word! 2000 birds in quarantine? This many possibly exposed to the one from a suppossedly bird flu free country?

Look, we can't stop the migrating ones from migrating, but must we help it along by importing birds too? This is absolute stupidity! All we have is time, and it is short enough on the ineveitable spread of this disease as the non-domestic animals migrate. GEEZ!

It needs to end here.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   
Oh no.

The bird flu is coming to get us...

Jews...
Blacks...
Nazi's...
Commies...
SARS...
AIDS...
H5N1...

I'm so busy avoiding them all, it is shocking I am able to get any work done at all...

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 06:50 PM
link   
I am getting the very same here No Page found thus no Story

Page Not Found.
This might be because you typed the web address incorrectly. Please check the address and spelling ensuring that it does not contain capital letters or spaces.

It is possible that the page you were looking for may have been moved, updated or deleted.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   
it working fine for me

i dont know whats up

MOD HELP ME!

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Infinite.... Looks like BBC has pulled the page. I have tried numerous ways to get to the page from various feeds....no luck

type "bird flu bbc" or "bird flu england" into google news for a new link.

BBC may return the original link though, they may be editing story.

[edit on 23-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Here is a skynews link to the story,

www.sky.com...

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:39 PM
link   
LOL asala even sky has pulled the story

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Looks like eveyone pulled the story for one reason or another.

Edit I stand corrected on refresh the link did work

DEADLY H5N1 CONFIRMED

The lethal H5N1 strain of bird flu has been confirmed in the parrot, imported from South America, which died in quarantine in the UK.

The Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs made the announcement after Surinam denied sending an parrot infected with the virus to Britain.

Chief Vet Debby Reynolds said: "We are now closer to reaching a conclusion on this investigation.

"We have established that the strain of the virus is H5N1. This does not affect the UK's official Avian Influenza disease-free status."

Use asalas link it is the same

[edit on 10/23/2005 by shots]

top topics

join