It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American-Russian Aircraft Match-Up

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 01:40 PM
link   
I been around ATS for a while and constantly trawl through the aircraft section. I see quite a few threads pertaining to how Russian Aircraft (Mikoyan Gurevich, Sukhoi, Tupolev) match up to American Aircraft (Boeing, Sikorsky, McDonnall Douglas). So I have devised a thread where people can post the match-ups and state who they think the winner will be. Its all in the name of fun.

Rules: For each of the categories (MultiRole, Interceptor, Bomber, etc) you post the best American and Russian Aircraft for the category. Then you say which one's better. I just want to see the opinions that are going around.

Categories:

MultiRole Fighter: Aircraft that can adapt with their sortie in the middle of it.
Interceptor: Jets that are made to get to the enemy and take it out before it can succeed in its mission.
Destructive Bomber: A bomber that goes for sheer payload and destructive force.
Strategic Bomber: A bomber with a specific mission profile that it can serve with excellence.
Reconnaissance: An aircraft used to spy on enemy locations and track enemy movements.
Transport: An aircraft used to put troops in the combat area safely
Attack Helicopter: A helicopter that excels in taking out enemy aircraft and installations
Transport Helicopter: A helicopter that... well... y'know transports stuff.
Bonus: Match up two aircraft you'd like to see go at it!

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I think I can see where this is gonna go...

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:09 PM
link   
MultiRole Fighter:
F-15 vs MiG-29
F-15 due to superior missiles, better radar, and better BVR capacity, note, inferior maneuver characteristics, inferior tough airstrip capacity to the MiG-29.

Interceptor: F-14 vs MiG-31
MiG-31 because it is purely an intercepter, has excellent range, speed, long range capacity against bombers and aerial targets and a very good radar. Note, inferior in terms of flexiblity and lack of naval capacity.

Destructive Bomber:
B-52 vs Tu-95
B-52 due to superior speed, payload, range, and vastly longer service life.

Strategic Bomber:
B-1 vs Tu-160
Tie. Both are very capable aircraft with similiar range, payloads, electronics, and any comparision would come down to very minor details. Note the B-1 has superior electronics and radar systems, but the Tu-160 has a better speed.

Reconnaissance:
F-4 vs MiG-25
MiG-25, due to its superior speed, flight ceiling, and overall highspeed characteristics. However both are relatively outdated and the task has been passed to other varied aircraft and satellites.

Transport:
C-5 vs An-225
C-5 because the An-225 requires long airstrips, has higher production cost, and the C-5 has better electronics, however, the An-225 far exceeds the C-5's cargo capacity.

Attack Helicopter:
AH-64 vs Mi-24
AH-64 because it is specifically designed as an attack copter, while the Mi-24 is a transport copter with ground support weaponry.

I've done enough research for this thread. someone else type.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Might as well do my turn then.

MultiRole Fighter: F-16 vs. Su-35: F-16 wins but not by much. The Sukhoi was mainly an A2A fighter and as such is not as well suited to bombing, but it can do it. But that doesn't mean I like the F-16.

Interceptor: F22 vs. S-37 Berkut: Difficult to say. Depends on circumstances. If they are aware of each other at long range the F-22 definitely wins for its better sensors and BVR abilities. But up close and personal the S-37 takes the cake and eats it 3 times.

Destructive Bomber: B-2 vs. Tu-95: B-2 can get in and out, causing destruction as it goes. The Tu-95 is nice but its just not up to scratch here.

Strategic Bomber: B-1 vs. Tu-22: B-1 takes it but not by much. Both supersonic strategic bombers and both icnredibly cool. But the B-1 has just a teensy bit of stealth put into it which is what gives it the glavin.

Reconnaissance: SR-71 vs. MiG 3x Foxhound: Sr-71 takes the cake here without a problem. Both of these high speed, but the Blackbird was made for recon and the Foxhound was made as a high-speed interceptor. It does work with recon though. But the SR-71's ceiling and cruising speed... yeah. Blew away any competition.

Transport: lol don't know any of these but I think the Americans take it

Attack Helicopter: RAH-66 Comanche vs. Mi-24 "Hind": The RAH-66 was the leading edge in helicopters. Beautiful thing. Excellent attack chopper in all respects. not a Heavy Lifter but it takes the cake here. And it looks cool! It was cancelled but the prototype made it so I'd say this is a valid entry.

posted on Sep, 13 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
America will be punish da!!

posted on Jun, 4 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Well, I would say that the match would be:

Long range land based fighter (4th generation)

F-15C Eagle vs Su-27 "Flanker-B" , Su-30P/PU "Flanker-C", Su-35 "Flanker-E", MiG-31 "Foxhound"

Long range land based fighter (5th generation)

F-22 Raptor, YF-23 Black Widow II vs Suhoi T-50

Long range naval fighter (4th generation)

F-14 Tomcat vs Su-33 "Flanker-D"

Tactical land based fighter (4th generation)

F-16 Fighting Falcon, F-20 Tigershark vs MiG-29 "Fulcrum"

Tactical land based fighter (5th generation)

F-35A Lightning II vs MiG 1.44 MFI "Flatpack"

Tactical naval fighter (4th generation)

F/A-18 Hornet vs MiG-29K "Fulcrum-D"

Supersonic strike aircraft (4th generation)

F-15E Strike Eagle vs Su-30M/MK/MKK/MKI "Flanker-C/G/H", Su-34 "Fullback"

Supersonic strike aircraft (3rd generation)

F-111 Fighting Aardvark vs Su-24 "Fencer"
F-105 Thunderchief vs Su-7 "Fitter", Su-17/20/22 "Fitter"

Modern supersonic bomber

B-1A Excalibur, B-1B Lancer vs Tu-160 "Blackjack"

Attack helicopter

AH-64 Apache vs Mi-28 "Havoc"

Attack & assault helicopter

S-67 Blackhawk vs Mi-24 "Hind"

Attack aircraft (Close Air Suport)

A-10 Thunderbolt II vs Su-25 "Frogfoot"

Long range multi-role fighter (3rd generation)

F-4 Phantom II vs MiG-23 "Flogger"

Long range fighter - interceptor (3rd generation)

F-106A Delta Dart, YF-12 "Blackbird" vs Su-9/11 "Fishpot", Su-15 "Flagon", MiG-25 "Foxbat"

Tactical fighter (3rd generation)

F-104 Starfighter, F-8 Crusader, F-5 Freedom Fighter / Tiger II vs MiG-21 "Fishbed"

top topics

join