It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

was atlantis destroyed around the same time as noah?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio

Originally posted by merka

Considering Atlantis was in the advanced ancient civilisations class (ie Athens eqvivalent) according to the only known source,

I doubt they would start scribbling nonsense in caves even after a disaster.
On pottery perhaps, but not on cave walls.

? scribbling ? nonsense on walls of caves?
men are known or reknown for acts they feel will show their prowess
and men are also known to devise attempts to leave a legacy of their presence...

let's say a group of 'survivors' from a Atlantis cataclysm squatted in an available sanctuary from the elements , a cave, which provided a safe haven & security for that band of refugees...wouldn't the residents try to 'spruce the place up'??

the few, rare, preserved cave-art paintings, which are an anomaly in the neo-lithic era of human interaction...were, by my reckoning, created by someones with more than a 'grunt' mentality and view of the world...persons with an evolved sense of the world.
Also, people with a technological advance to be able to create this art on the cave walls without the benefit of sunlight or torches. Which only adds to the 'mystery' and was an imputus for doing the 'art work' in the first place...they hoped their endeavor would help explain their plight, condition, position, to future sleuths that have an open mind.

It is easier for me to believe that a cultured survivor(s) created a historical record & legacy in their attempt to gain that elusive 'immortality', through the cave art...
Than any other model you might present.

~peace~

[edit on 4-5-2006 by St Udio]

I see your argument except for one thing:

The cave art isnt about a sunken city. Its about animals mostly. Why animals? Why on earth would the Atlanteans leave a legacy of animals paintings when they could make schematics of their city, the lands and most of all, their language?

No, I dont buy it. A "legacy" left by the Atlanteans would most likely look more like the wall/structure carvings of ancient Egypt.

posted on May, 5 2006 @ 12:26 PM
link   
That leads me to a question......

What happened to the pillars in egypt on which this story was originally inscribed?

Solon was said to have talked to a priest, who somewhat rebuked him for not knowing the history of his own people, that athens had helped fight off invaders from the atlantic. (I imagine these are the seapeople, I dont know their actual name) they appeared in the mediteranean 1,200 bc.

So where are these pillars?

Do the egyptians mention atlantis in any other writings? (I dont think they do)

There is also an old legend, that before the deluge, seth either intructed his sons or he did this himself, cant remember which (yes the biblical seth) to build two pillars one of brick, and one of stone and to inscribe the history of the ante-diluvian world onto them.

I think these are sometimes linked with the pillars which solon saw.

I this is a myth though.

So where are the pillars?

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 12:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by XphilesPhan
Do the egyptians mention atlantis in any other writings? (I dont think they do)

The only known ancient reference to Atlantis is from Plato. Just as easily as the story could have been made up, the egyptian connection can too.

Sidenote: I think Solon supposedly talked to an old egyptian priest which told the story to him about some ancient lands, and then he told Plato. I havent seen any mention of any pillars.

[edit on 6-5-2006 by merka]

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Sidenote: I think Solon supposedly talked to an old egyptian priest which told the story to him about some ancient lands, and then he told Plato. I havent seen any mention of any pillars.

Merka,

I think that the "pillar story" comes from a Greek named Crantor, who wrote comments about Plato's work several years after Plato died.

As I recall, Crantor was the one that claimed to have seen these pillars, and thus he claimed to verify what Plato wrote about the story told to Solon by the Priest in Sais.

But I don't believe Crantor either.

Harte

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Harte

Merka,

I think that the "pillar story" comes from a Greek named Crantor, who wrote comments about Plato's work several years after Plato died.

As I recall, Crantor was the one that claimed to have seen these pillars, and thus he claimed to verify what Plato wrote about the story told to Solon by the Priest in Sais.

But I don't believe Crantor either.

Harte

Well a quick search seems to indicate that some dude named Proclus wrote that Crantor had seen it. So its not first hand information.

posted on May, 6 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well my point of view is that IF these pillars existed, that they surely must of been held as some importance so copies made of the knowledge elsewhere.....and even then, Im not an egyptologist so I couldnt tell you if these supposed pillars are still in existance or not.

I find it hard to believe that only the egyptians supposeldy knew of atalntis and perhaps that is part of the intrique of atlantis.

that some great ante-diluvian civilizations knowledge surivied in some form and has been lost to most of history.

posted on May, 7 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
A Chaldean Flood Legend gives this detail about specific instructions given to Xisuthrus- The Chaldean Noah.

"The god ordered him to write a history and bury it in Sippara."
www.talkorigins.org...

Here is a link to wikipedia on the city of Sippara (Sippar)
en.wikipedia.org...

A couple of legends come to mind, one is the pillars of Seth to survive the flood, by way of Flood waters or fire. The other reminds me of the Hall of Records buried beneith the right paw of the Sphinx. I wonder if Edgar Cayce somehow had the Chaldean legend in mind when he prophecied that there were records hidden in Egypt.

Makes me wonder if there are hidden mysteries behind the ancient city of Saqqara.
Cayce could have got Sippara mixed with Saqqara or there might be a connection.

Wikipedia says this about Saqqara:
"The step pyramid at Saqqara was designed by Imhotep for King Zoser (c.2667-2648 BC). It is the oldest complete building hewn stone complex known in history."
en.wikipedia.org...

<< 1   >>

join