It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will Wilma and Alpha merge in the Atlantic?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   
Does anyone remember the No Name Storm from October 29-31 in 1991. It started as Hurricane Grace on 10/27 and remained out to sea but then merged with another storm in the Atlantic.

This is the Storm that was written about as "The Perfect Storm"

I am watching where Wilma and Alpha are to be very close together and have some concerns about what will happen when they get that close or merge.

Here is a link to some info on this particular storm in 1991
No Name Storm or "The Perfect Storm"

Since I have a clear memory of that storm I will be watching these storms over the next week or so -- anyone else??

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Hi,

Here is a discussion about the possiblity of a merging of these storms on Accuweather

Worst Case Scenario Would Bring Wild Weather to the East Coast
Saturday, October 22, 2005 7:59 PM EDT

he atmosphere as of Saturday holds potential for the development of a powerful storm off the Atlantic Seaboard of the United States early next week. While this would be true to some extent without the existence of Hurricane Wilma and the newly-dubbed Tropical Storm Alpha, which represent a great reservoir of tropical warmth and moisture, it only ratchets up the potential. Two players here are key. First, a sharply dipping jet stream will be thrusting southward from central Canada and tapping a cold pool to spin up low pressure south of the Great Lakes Sunday and Monday. The other player, none other than Hurricane Wilma, will pull away from Mexico's Yucatan Peninsula in time for a crossing of the Florida Peninsula Monday. It is Monday night and Tuesday when things could get crazy in the meteorological sense. The strong northeast-trending jet stream will scoop up Wilma, with possible contribution from Alpha, as the low shifts from the Appalachians to the coast. If Wilma were to follow the western edges of its forecast window and begin to draw in the cool low from the west, an explosive deepening could result, culminating in a deep and fully merged storm raging south of Nova Scotia Wednesday. While this is not the most likely scenario, it is one that is in the realm of possibility.

This is what could happen Monday night and Tuesday if our Worst Case Scenario came to pass. Heavy, driving rains and gales would pound the Seaboard from North Carolina to southern New England. As the rains spread northwards and the storm tapped the cold pole from the west, rain would turn to heavy wet snow over the inland Northeast. Keep checking back with us at AccuWeather.com Weather Headlines to see what the latest is on this interesting, even serious, weather situation.

Interesting huh?

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Well I have to figure more than one word to put here -- but all I came up with when I saw your post was YIKES!

I'll be listening to the trawlers and boat traffic to hear what everyone is saying -- it should be interesting listening and I hope they all decide to come in instead of riding it out.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:59 AM
link   
Accuweather is the only site I can find talking about a possible heavy snow event for NH. Still too early to tell? Guess it's time to check n prep the snowthrower!!!

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by ufochaser
Accuweather is the only site I can find talking about a possible heavy snow event for NH. Still too early to tell? Guess it's time to check n prep the snowthrower!!!

Channel 7 (ABC) news and weather brought up the possiblity tonight -- not saying for sure how much -- giving the all depends speech right now
But they aren't ruling out the possibility of a major Nor'easter from this.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Local websites saying snow in the hills, 1-3 or 2-4 inches of rain between this afternoon and tomorrow night for NH...should be interesting to watch though!!

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Maine is a hearty state, the leaf season is already runied, lets get the snow started!

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Out here on the eastern end of LI -- the Trawlers and dredges are talking about how they are going to tie down their boats and equipment -- just talked to a friend who has a charter boat in Montauk and he was out moving his boat to a more secure location and securing it. Haven't heard a Coast Guard report yet today on what they expect the seas and winds to be.

But they are still talking about a superstorm but one weatherman was saying it would be a bit further out to sea than they earlier expected.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Alpha dissipated long before Wilma even had a chance to reach it. Also Wilma is dissipating as we speak and is drifting off to the Atlantic. Wilma will probably just brush the eastern part of Newfoundland as a tropical storm.

[edit on 10-25-2005 by CPYKOmega]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Well we had quite a bit of rain and winds about 30-40 mph with gusts of 60 -- so basically it was just a good nor'easter. Some power outages and flooding and the bays are high. But we lucked out I would say.

new topics

top topics

join