It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS.S: Skeptic Overview 10: 550 Podcasts on ATS!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   

PODcast: Skeptic Overview 10: 550 Podcasts on ATS! (reply 5)
I agre the posts are slowing down....

length: 04:24
file: atscpodcast_650.mp3
size: 1032k
feed:

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
>>>I'm of the opinion that it doesn't matter where the story originates, as long as we debate the facts which apply to the story itself.

If someone starts a thread about the horrors of abortion and provides a source evidently from the far right...so what(?)...it's the topic which matters and becomes the real base for debate. For me to jump the originator for his/her source is a thread killer and readers interested in the topic will see the putting down of such a source as a 'turnoff', resulting in less opinions posted.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:29 PM
link   
Sorry this will be such a short post compared to all of you awesome other long posters. I can probably tell you the main ingredient as to why ATS posters arent posting as much... Points. I know it sounds rediculous, but you wont see me posting soo many topics just anywhere. I am not talking about everybody, but I feel like alot of members here at ATS, perhaps most, do not post topics anymore because of the lack of points they are getting for their posts. I am not one for points because I dont go around posting things that should be posted in "Below Top Secret"

I have taken a look around at the new posts and have seen alot of unworthy posts. I am not being sarcastic or mean, but alot of the posts at ATS, should be in BTS. You wont see me posting alot. I try to do quality over quantity. With an exception of the Writers, the Scholars, and the Fighters and a few Members. Alot of members make GREAT posts around here at ATS, dont get me wrong. But you also have to think, alot of the posts ive seen I do not believe should be in ATS. Once again I am not trying to be mean or sarcastic, but I am only expressing my feelings about how I feel about why members arent posting as much. Perhaps they do not feel that they are recieveing more points for their posts? Maybe it is creating a domino effect that basically tells them "Why am I not getting enough points for my post" type question. "I just wont post on here because all I get is 1 lousy point for one post." I feel that this could possibly be the thought that goes through members minds?

Once more, im not being mean or sarcasic but expressing my feelings about why the post count should be low. This whole time I wrote this I have been listening to Skeptic Overlords PODcast.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 09:44 PM
link   
I can understand the technological reasons why the automated censors need to be turned off and I appreciate that moderators will be keeping an eye on the use of profanity in posts, but what I don't understand is why we need profanity in podcasts. Surely, the same standards should apply to podcasts as applies to the boards.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
The reduction of posts can be attributed to many reasons, including the ones mentioned already. In my opinion I believe the reduction may have something to do with the restructuring of ATS points. Sure to anyone who has been here for a while, points don't matter, but for new members it is a different story.
I remember when I first joined ATS I would try really hard to start a new thread so I could gain enough points to buy that new color background or whatever.
Now new members don't have that particular motivation. Is this bad for the quality of ATS? No, not really.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
The token economy is a vital part of what makes ATS so appealing and, dare I say, addictive. I really thought that this was clearly understood by those who implemented what is in my experience the most complex model on the internet, if not the world. Points mean different things to each member, from the acquistion of privileges to a symbol of status. At the very least, they are a measure of what one is accomplishing on the board and, as any behaviorist knows, reinforcement is the key to influencing behavior.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Hmm, how can I explain my views on this without degrading a wonderful addition to ATS.. it may warrant its own thread.. i dunno.. :shrug:

When the podcasts first aired on ATS, I was excited. As it progressed though, I found myself pulling away from it. The notion of Podcast replies, podcast threads, and the whatnot seem to overwhelm me. I'm not a podcaster, but I still enjoy the topics discussed.

Right now as it stands, we have ATS, BTS, and PTS.. and PodTS

It's a whole new social avenue for ats'ers to take.. some people absolutly adore it, and others seem to approach it cautiously or not at all. But the topics and discussions are obviously ATS material (for the most part.)

I just wish the podcasts were more ingrained into the roots of ATS.. the message board.

Maybe I'm being old fashioned, relentless to submerge myself into this new form of internet communication.. I don't know..

I know some podcasters have submitted transcripts to thier podcasts, others dont.. this is what I look for on ATS.. plain ol fashioned text. I find reading is much easier then downloading a sometimes huge file (dial up) and spending 10 mins (or longer) listening.

I think it would be awesome if a new thread were to appear on the message board in the respected forum with the text of a podcast and ofcourse a link to the podcast for those of us at ATS to comment on via text. I've also noticed that some members are doing this.. they make a podcast, and then submit the same material on the message board for us non-podders to pour over.

Maybe due away with the podcast forum and insert podcasts into the everday forums?

Or make transcripts required and when the podcast (and replies) is submitted, the transcript is forwarded to the old-fashioned thread?

At the very least, I think the Podcast forum needs to be given its seperate venue and seperated into needed categories (sub forums)

As for the drop in post count and my take on it.. I honestly think I'm not the only one reeling from the podcast explosion on ATS.. alot of our very smart, motivated and good posters have taken to podcasting strongly.. leaving a large void on the old message board

Just my thoughts.. don't get me wrong.. I still like the podcasts.. they just arent my cup of tea and I wish they could be better ingrained into the source of ATS..

top topics

<< 1   >>

join