It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Grey Fox The Most secret Unit in the world?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 05:24 PM
link   
""Grey Fox" isnt the most secret"

NO but the problem is that the others are so secret that we do not know about them. And this one is secret enough that its difficult to get info on them. The title is done to hopefully get peoples attention

"SBS, and SAS train all others"

Once again I must point out this is not a Special services free for all nor a my Special services are better than yours but is about one unit only.

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 05:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by cassini
""Grey Fox" isnt the most secret"

NO but the problem is that the others are so secret that we do not know about them. And this one is secret enough that its difficult to get info on them. The title is done to hopefully get peoples attention

"SBS, and SAS train all others"

Once again I must point out this is not a Special services free for all nor a my Special services are better than yours but is about one unit only.

I just pointed out a fact to these people, as they were fighting about that.. so where is beef?

And you copied my answer..
Just used other words..

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 05:45 PM
link   
"I just pointed out a fact to these people, as they were fighting about that.. so where is beef?"

The beef (as you put it) is that, its got nothing to do with the Grey Fox unit, and as I pointed out I wanted to stick to the subject. Theres no need to get involved in something off topic after I`d ask them to say on topic.

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 06:26 PM
link   
What branch of the military is Grey Fox from?
Could it be the navy?

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   
Aso known as Task Force 20.

Task Force 20, the highly secretive special unit reported to have been involved in the operation to take Saddam Hussein's sons, consists of selected members of Delta Force, who enjoy the same sort of reputation that the SAS does in Britain.

The task force, whose existence is officially classified, also contains intelligence officers from the CIA.

Within Task Force 20 is a further unit, codenamed Grey Fox.

As the Observer reported last month, members of this unit, which is officially named "Intelligence Support Activity", have been spearheading the search for Saddam.

The tools of the task force include spy satellites, photo-reconnaissance aircraft and unmanned drones.

Article from Banshee's link.

www.guardian.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 16 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:25 AM
link   
www.guardian.co.uk...

Within Task Force 20 is a further unit, codenamed Grey Fox. As the Observer reported last month, members of this unit, which is officially named "Intelligence Support Activity", have been spearheading the search for Saddam. Grey Fox was established by the Pentagon in 1981, with its members to work as "deep penetration agents".

This helps?

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Isn't Grey Fox the branch of the military that the FICTIONAL video game character Solid Snake belong to in the Metal Gear Games? I did not know that it was a real life unit.

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackJackal
I did not know that it was a real life unit.

Well,

Guardian seems to think that it is a part of Task force 20, or at least was for a while..

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 09:44 AM
link   
'The unit brings together small elite units from the uniformed military, the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) and the National Security Agency (NSA) eavesdropping organisation. The strike force of the unit is a highly trained group of commandos from the US army�s Delta Force.

Paramilitary operatives from the CIA�s special activities division are also attached to give Task Force 20 the ability to mount human intelligence or "HUMINT" gathering among the local Iraqi population.

They also have a team to match DNA samples from bodies of people killed in US targeted killings.

Technical intelligence is the job of the NSA personnel and they have brought hi-tech eavesdropping equipment to listen in on satellite communications used by remnants of the regime.

They were thought to have been behind the tip-off last week that Saddam was travelling in a convoy near the Syrian border.

A shadowy team of Pentagon undercover intelligence operatives, dubbed "Grey Fox", are also reputed to be part of the task force. It works closely with its British special forces counterparts in Task Force 7, which operates around the southern Iraqi city of Basra.

Some of Task Force 20�s operatives worked undercover as UN weapon inspectors during the 1990s and with Hans Blix�s more recent foray into Iraq.

They provide the local knowledge of the regime and its secretive ways.

Task Force 20 was created as a result of lessons learnt in the so far futile hunt of the al-Qaeda chief. It was hoped that by grouping all the elite covert units under a single command the bureaucratic rough edges between the CIA and the military would be smoothed out.

It was also hoped fleeting intelligence of America�s prey would be acted upon immediately.

The unit reports directly to General Tommy Franks, the US�s Middle East commander, and he has given it first call on manpower and resources.

A squadron of MH-53 Pave Low special forces helicopters are on call "24/7".

The unit also has access to the small number of US air force Predator unmanned drones in the Middle East.

These drones were used successfully to kill Qaed Senyan al-Harthi, a suspect in the bombing of the USS Cole, in the Yemen last November.

So far, Task Force 20 appears to have far more success in Iraq that its predecessors did in Afghanistan.

It has managed to net 32 of the 55 "Iraqi most wanted" in two months, including some of the regime�s big fish and seems to be closing in on the ace of spades. '

"Q: Still, five and a half days later, the U.S. is continuing to hold five Syrian nationals, only three of whom were wounded. Do you have � I�m still not clear why you haven't returned these people to their country. Do you have any reason, for example, to believe they are anything other than Syrian border guards? And you mentioned this mission was conducted by a military organization, you said, known at Task Force 20. Can you tell us what is Task Force 20, who makes it up, and what their mission is in Iraq?

Myers: No. I don't want to go into any more operational detail on Task Force 20. That's -- that's the kind of details that we're just not going to go into. But --

Q: You cannot tell us what -- after you named it, you can't tell us what that U.S. military organization --

Myers: It's a U.S. military organization. And we have several task forces --

Rumsfeld: It's a good one.

Myers: It's a good one. (Laughter.)

Rumsfeld: You want some elaboration? It's a good one."

'The unit is called "Grey Fox" , according to press reports, "part of Task Force 20, who come under the political control of the Pentagon's new Under Secretary of State for Intelligence, Stephen Cambone, have one mission: to kill or capture Saddam. Cambone, a neo-conservartive was placed in the newly created post of Under Secretary of Defense for Intelligence � by Donald Rumsfeld,

The Observer reports�"the unit that has been criticized by senior US officials for its 'lawlessness' and 'lack of control' has hunted Serbian war criminals in the Balkans, fought in Somalia, and in counter-terror operations across the globe: it is a key part of what the Pentagon calls its 'black world' of undercover operations." '

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 10:19 AM
link   
this is all very interesting stuff, i think we should doing a research project to find out more about "Grey Fox".

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Hmm...General Tommy Franks was commander of USCENTCOM, and was in direct charge of task force 20...he recently retired and the new USCENTCOM commander is Gen. John Abizaid who is in charge of US military activity in 25 countries around the middle east. He answers only to rumsfeld who answers to bush.

"Organized as a headquarters element, USCENTCOM has no war fighting units permanently assigned to it. Instead, all four Armed Services provide USCENTCOM with component commands, which, along with our joint special operations component, make up USCENTCOM's primary war fighting and engagement organizations."

So, task force 20 appears to be under the direct command of Abizaid, and no one else. I doubt much more could be found considering they aren't supposed to exist. But there are many other units like this as well that we will probably never know about.

EDIT: OK, I finally found some up-to-date information about task force 20, and apparently they were disbanded by Abizaid along with task force 5 which was used in afghanistan...basically they turned them into ONE special operations unit known as task force 121 which is operated by an air-force brigadier general, and this new force is classified of course. So I believe "grey fox" no longer exists, they just changed the name of the team and the command structure...maybe because of all the bad press task force 20 was getting? So now the real question is, who is task force 121..I would guess they are now under command of Brigadier General Allen G. Peck, USCENTAF.

Hopefully answered some questions..

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by Shoktek]

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Isn't "Grey Fox" from Metal Gear Solid? I'm pretty sure it is. What about Fox/Hound?

[Edited on 12/31/03 by NotTooHappy]

posted on Dec, 31 2003 @ 06:54 PM
link   
"A new Special Forces group, designated Task Force 121, has been assembled from Army Delta Force members, Navy seals, and C.I.A. paramilitary operatives, with many additional personnel ordered to report by January. Its highest priority is the neutralization of the Baathist insurgents, by capture or assassination. "

It goes on to say that they are training at Fort Bragg, which means maybe they are a part of the 82nd airborne?

The CENTCOM website keeps talking about a "task force all-american" capturing people and weapons, which is operating as part of the 82nd airborne...maybe this is task force 121?

It mainly looks to me like this task force is sent out on assassination missions against key Iraqi "insurgents", leaders, relatives of saddam.

Here is a big article relating to task force 121.

[Edited on 31-12-2003 by Shoktek]

posted on Jan, 7 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
The real clandestine operators move from department to department to avoid both oversite and unwanted publicity. Most of the major Intel shops have their own operators that provide product for their constituency, Most are so far below the line that they are never heard of and if they are the name and reporting routes are changed. Do any of you remember "The Activity" also known as the "Intelligence Support Activity". This unit is probably at least a step child of it and it's predecessors

posted on Oct, 29 2004 @ 04:56 PM
link   
Some of you are close, but most are WAY OFF. Funny to see so many people posting things about "Grey Fox" like they were a part of it, or worked directly with them.

[edit on 29-10-2004 by SpecialOperator]

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 01:12 AM
link   
cant be that big of a secret if its on the internet, now can it. True things that are secretive remain that way for generations.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 03:23 AM
link   

The Observer

Officially members of a unit named 'Intelligence Support Activity', Grey Fox was established by the Pentagon in 1981 to work as manhunters, assassins and deep penetration agents.

The Observer refers to the ISA, which from what I understand is primarily concerned with intelligence. While they do supposedly employ a small number of shooters, I think their primary role is to provide real-time forward intelligence independent of other agencies (CIA) for Delta/Rangers.

More information: www.specwarnet.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   

It goes on to say that they are training at Fort Bragg, which means maybe they are a part of the 82nd airborne?

The CENTCOM website keeps talking about a "task force all-american" capturing people and weapons, which is operating as part of the 82nd airborne...maybe this is task force 121?

No offence to the 82nd Airborne, they are a very good soldiers, but they are completely unqualified to mount those types of missions. The reason that TF121 members train at Ft.Bragg is because the headquarters and training facilities of 1st SFOD-D (Delta Force) are located there.

posted on Oct, 30 2004 @ 05:18 PM
link   
The existence of Gray Fox wouldn't surprise me. There are tons of highly specialized covert military and government units for special operations. The C.I.A. Special Activites Staff, for example, is one such paramilitary unit capable of superior special operations.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join