It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Re-entrance to Masonry.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:53 PM
link   
In another thread it came up that to remove oneself from Masonry all one had to do is:

ANY Mason can cease being a Mason. There are two ways. You may "demit" That means "I quit" You request a demit and you're issued an official document that removes you from membership. Or you may simply stop paying dues. You'll be suspended, then ultimately expelled. You will NO LONGER BE a Mason. It's quite easy.

For whatever reason a Mason decides to "demit", other commitments, whatever, is there a means in which said person can regain his place in the Brotherhood? I know that a Mason becomes an "apprentice", becomes a member of the "Fellow Craft", then are raised to "Master Mason". Does this have to be redone? Or further, can an ex-Mason rejoin?

Please, serious discussion only. If you aren't a Mason and have something to say, please back it up with credible sources.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:33 PM
link   
The purpose of "taking a demit" iss to leave masonry on a postive note, ie: to leave the door open should you wish to rejoin.

Under the rlues of the Grand Lodge of North Carolina, if someone were to change their mind and wish to re join all they would have to do is patition a lodge to be readmitted. Not necessarily their original lodge, any lodge. While I do not personally know anyone who has done so, that is the procedure here. Usually the men who "take a demit" do so for reasons importanet to them, and while they would be welcome back it is unusal for them to change their minds. But no they would not have go back through their degrees.

This is, as opposed to someone suspended or expeled for not paying dues, they would have to pay the dues ower before they were suspended and the current years dues. but all to and with the original lodge. I do know several men who have done this over the years, for various reasons.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   
In England, unless you are expelled or specifically write to the Grand Secretary asking otherwise, the rule is 'once a mason always a mason'. Consequently, assuming you are in 'good standing' (e.g. don't owe any money) you can become Unattached (not a member of any specific lodge). There are severe limitations on your visiting rights and the expectation is that this would be a temporary situation until you joined another lodge.

Of those people who 'leave' freemasonry in England, I would think the majority are in good standing.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Waiting for the warning..........3....2.....1......

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
In most Jurisdictions, if a member resigns, then wants to re-join at a later time, he fills out an application called "petition for reinstatement". The reinstatement application is read at the next meeting, and the members present will vote. If unanimously elected, his name goes back on the roll as a member in good standing.

The degrees do not have to be taken again.

[edit on 22-10-2005 by Masonic Light]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Has anyone noticed that the backward masking to demit is timed? Am I the only one who finds this curious?

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TgSoe
Has anyone noticed that the backward masking to demit is timed? Am I the only one who finds this curious?

I don't understand this comment. What do you mean by 'backward masking'?

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Trinityman

Originally posted by TgSoe

I don't understand this comment. What do you mean by 'backward masking'?

Trin, he's meaning demit spelled backwards is timed.....but I too don't see any relation.

TgSoe there are a number of words that when spelled backwards spell another word that sometimes doesn't have the same meaning....spot and tops for example.....

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Oh.

I guess that was a bit too obvious for me...

we don't use the word 'demit' in my jurisdiction anyway.

['Jurisdiction' being an anagram of Ricin Judoist - clearly a plot by the Martial Arts industry to poison everyone
]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
In some states that I have lived a demit is thought of in the same way as a letter of good standing. If you have a demit from your old lodge, you left in good graces and are fit to apply for membership in a differant state.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
It was really just a little joke, you know how everything does seem to be timed to work out on certain dates, I think even in the lower levels of Masonry. Especially the highest levels of Masonry. Masons just love those numbers don't they?

posted on Nov, 15 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Ok here goes.
You can only demit if you are in good standing with the lodge. That means all of your dues must be current. You simply tell the Lodge secretary that you’re no longer interested in participating. You want to come back call the lodge secretary and let him know. You would always be welcome if you’re in good standing.

If your dues are not current than more than likely you will be expelled anyway and not considered in good standing and not considered a mason of good report anyway.
You can also not be a criminal with any felony convictions.

The reasons are very clear. Masonry is a philanthropic organization and no personal recognition is desired by most individuals, thus the secrecy. If you’re not interested don’t join. If you join and are not interested get out. It is very simple.
No man is asked to join! The man asks for permission to join. They do not recruit.
So the obligations are your and yours alone filling them or not will prove your character to even your self. If you join to say look at me look I am a mason and look who I hang out with or other personal motives than your in the wrong place. Some join for these reasons but as the saying goes we all bring our own baggage. No one is saying they are better or worse than anyone else.
They are just committed to the betterment of Society in the Lodge and out. Thus the charity.

Charity is the most visible Masonic activity. Freemasons in North America alone give over two million dollars every day to those in need, Masons and non-Masons alike. This translates into about three-quarters of a billion dollars a year. Every bit of which is raised by the Masonic Fraternity and freely contributed on a voluntary basis to the many worthwhile charities it supports.

posted on Jan, 31 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
If you aren't a Mason and have something to say, please back it up with credible sources.

Once you are a Freemason, you may leave the fraternity, but you aren't going to be rid of that special something. Pay the dues and your welcome to come right back unless you've been naughty or dishonest. I don't have a source for that, sorry, but it's interesting that you feel that a mason doesn't have to source what he says, but a non-mason does.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 12:55 AM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

I do note one oddity relating to moving between the various irregular/clandestine branches, especially whenever its a irregular branch that is viewed as regular by other lodges.

I have a friend that was a Prince Hall Mason in another state, and then moved to North Carolina - which does not recognize Prince Hall as regular. He wanted to join an AF&AM (Ancient Free and Accepted Masons) lodge instead of transferring to a prince hall. He was basically forced to demit from his Prince Hall lodge, and had to go through all degrees again even though according to him it was the exact same thing.

It would be interesting to see what would happen if someone tried to do this with a clandestine branch, like Memphis Misiriam. I am curious if a "regular" lodge would even allow it...

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by LightinDarkness

North Carolina does not recognize Prince Hall? .. Hmm.. odd.. We even have Princ Hall leadership at our yearly Communications here in Ohio. We have a pretty big Hall community at that. I would have thought North Carolina would as well.

But anyways.. I have been in lodge and someone demited from the lodge.. however they did it because they where angry about .. not getting a pin or something stupid like that.. and went to another lodge.

But, if you want to quit.. easiest way is to just stop paying.. and not come to lodge.. which most don't anyways.

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck

North Carolina does not recognize Prince Hall? .. Hmm.. odd.. We even have Princ Hall leadership at our yearly Communications here in Ohio. We have a pretty big Hall community at that. I would have thought North Carolina would as well.

At the moment, no southern Grand Lodge recognizes Prince Hall. The only exception is Texas, who sort of recognizes PHA, but does not allow intervisitation.

The Grand Lodge of North Carolina voted to recognize PHA last year. Although they had a simple majority in favor of recognition, they did not have the required 2/3 vote. The vote will probably come up again next year.

On a side note, a black man was just installed as Worshipful Master of a mainstream Lodge in NC. He made history by being the first (and currently, only) black man to be a member of a mainstream NC Lodge. You can read the story here.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by Masonic Light]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Would it be fair to say then that there is still a certain degree of racism or racial exclusion in the Southern Masonic Lodges? .. or are black men installed regularly yet do not often hold significant positions?

Also, is there a reason Prince Hall is not recognized?

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Would it be fair to say then that there is still a certain degree of racism or racial exclusion in the Southern Masonic Lodges?

Yes.

.. or are black men installed regularly yet do not often hold significant positions?

To the best of my knowledge and belief, there is not one single African-American member of a mainstream Lodge in Georgia, Mississippi, South Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas, Louisiana, or Texas. North Carolina has *one*.

Also, is there a reason Prince Hall is not recognized?

The official reason is that they are clandestine. Personally, I don't buy it.

[edit on 1-2-2008 by Masonic Light]

posted on Feb, 1 2008 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Masonic Light
The only exception is Texas, who sort of recognizes PHA, but does not allow intervisitation.

Actually the GL of Texas voted to fully recognize PH lodges at the GL communication in December.

Unless I'm sorely mistaken PH and A.F. & A.M. lodges in TX now enjoy full recognition and fraternal relations with one another.

<<   2 >>

join