It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Bird Flu Reaches UK, Bird Dies In Quarantine

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Well the last outbreak did kill 20 million. According to Springer this one might kill 30-40% of the world. Do we still seem paranoid?

keyword

might

There is more chance of you getting hit by a car and killed tomorrow than dying of bird flu.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Just look at hurricane death toll estimates. Horrible "over kill" for lack of a better term.

Sure this situation could get bad (and it did in the past) but until then its hard to tell what will come of this. After all, there could be no major outbreak either.

I made a thread (news submission) Pigeons from Canada had bird flu antibodies

www.abovetopsecret.com...

If anything that is something to worry about.

Australian authorities said Friday they are banning import of birds from Canada after three pigeons tested positive for bird flu antibodies.

The birds were in a consignment of 102 pigeons that arrived in Australia on Sept. 3. They tested positive while being held in quarantine in the southern city Melbourne, Agriculture Minister Peter McGauran told Australian Broadcasting Corp. radio.

He said the birds were not carrying bird flu, only the antibodies, indicating they had at some time been exposed.

"That could at some stage have developed into something else in the future," he said.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Eh, we're all gonna die...so what was that thing about it being engineered by US in Hong Kong?

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I feel so sad about this. Now i am really confused. We might die, or we might not? I am going to do some serious reflecting this weekend!

CX

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Sky News are reporting that they still have'nt ruled out this case being the most lethal strain.

CX.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:50 PM
link   
A member of the forum staff, Nerdling, has sent you a warning regarding your activity on the thread titled,
ALERT! Bird Flu Reaches UK, Bird Dies In Quarantine. Your have been warned 1 times.
Warnings are recorded, and each individual warning expires in three days (72 hours) from the time it was applied.
If forum staff continue to warn you and you gain 5 or more warnings, a temporary posting ban will be enforced automatically.

Individual warnings carry a points penalty of 500 points which have been deducted from your ats board total.

[edit on 21-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
i really dont think i want to eat chicky chick chicken any more....what am i going to eat...i am a vegitarian apart from that

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Time to sell that Kentucky Fried Chicken Stock!

It is odd how it spreads so far. Maybe it just comes down through the atmosphere heh..

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

this is a bird that was INCOMING via quarantine. so it proves the system works.

You'd only moan if we let in the country without the checks and even with them you'll freak out too....

Actually, I think it's fantabulous the quarantine system caught the sick birds. And apparently the new details state this parrot from South America got the flu from some infected birds from Taiwan in a nearby cage while sitting in UK quarantine.

And I'm not freaking out, yet. But I hope to gawd you're not busting somebody's chops for wanting to stay aware of this situation.

Tell me isn't so.

[edit on 10-21-2005 by Valhall]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by XPhiles

Thats right..real subtle, Have you thought of apogizing? Remember mods are people too!

[edit on 21-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Xeven

It is odd how it spreads so far.

Migratory Routes

That should interest you. And others.

Wild birds are serving as carriers for bird flu and the disease can be expected to spread along their migration routes, Health and Human Services Secretary Michael Leavitt said Friday.

It only makes sense.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by stumason

this is a bird that was INCOMING via quarantine. so it proves the system works.

You'd only moan if we let in the country without the checks and even with them you'll freak out too....

Actually, I think it's fantabulous the quarantine system caught the sick birds. And apparently the new details state this parrot from South America got the flu from some infected birds from Taiwan in a nearby cage while sitting in UK quarantine.

And I'm not freaking out, yet. But I hope to gawd you're not busting somebody's chops for wanting to stay aware of this situation.

Tell me isn't so.

[edit on 10-21-2005 by Valhall]

Not at all, but in traditional British, stiff upper-lipped style I will not give into media hype about something that has been around for a while. They had it in Italy years ago, now they have top quality chicken!

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
I love Italian birds!

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by paranoia
I love Italian birds!

hehe, me too...looking for a foreign bird now, actually...

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Oh fascinating. But about the bird flu, How big a threat is it now?

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
One point not to miss here. The parrot is reported to have been imported from South America. So this report could imply the presence of avian flu in both the U.K. as well as South America.

Precisely! My immediate reaction when I heard the news!

It is my view that if it is already in South America, the risk to the United States is very grave!!!

Please see this thread:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then think very carefully about the fact that this was a legally imported parrot... It would be very rare for a trader in exotic birds not to be dealing in bulk numbers. Consider also how those birds are housed.

Note also that a trader with a stock of birds does not necessarily sell to only one buyer. An infected stock could have been divided and sent to a number of international locations...

This is serious folks!

EDIT: One other thing. These birds tend to get resold MANY times by many traders....

[edit on 21-10-2005 by loam]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:37 PM
link   
And watch as the money gets reaped in...

How far around the world has it gone?
How many people have died so far?

Still Odium [Peter] isn't worried.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:38 PM
link   
well i have normal flu currently, i still dont care about Bird Flu.

If i die, i die, if not, i will continue to live in peace

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:47 PM
link   
You have to also remember that its the mutation of the virus that makes it deadly. You can have birds dropping dead left and right but it may not create a pandemic until it mutates. That is why you are not seeing human deaths.

Yet !

Gloom.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Don't you remember SARS?

Same media hype, same level of drug company involvment...

I don't see 10% of the World dead like they said would from that...and that was the lowest guess at the time. :|

Look at the drug company make a mint...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join