It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Bird Flu Reaches UK, Bird Dies In Quarantine

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Reports are coming in that a Parrot in Quarantine has died from Avian Flu, the diagnosis has been confirmed by the Department of Environment, Food, & Rural affairs. The location of the death has not been released.

BBC News
A parrot that died in quarantine in the UK has tested positive for avian flu, the government has said.

The Department for the Environment, Fisheries and Food (Defra) has not said if it is the lethal strain H5N1.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The BBC is reporting that the infected bird was a Parrot and was being held in quarantine. DEFRA has confirmed that the bird tested positive for Avian Flu but has not commented further.

SkyNews is reporting "H5 Strain of Virus in Bird Imported from South America"

At this moment Britains containment measures have not altered from the normal due to the Bird already being in Quarantine.

The offending Parrot was being shipped along with 138 Parrots in a Bio Secure cage, it was transported close to a shipment of Birds from Thailand. All the birds have been humanely culled and incinerated.

All those who have come into contact with the bird have been prescribed anti-viral medication.

[edit on 21-10-2005 by Nerdling]

[edit on 24-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Where are the flu jabs? Looks like we are going to need them. Or should we just kill ourselves?

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 02:56 PM
link   
This doesn't look good for the future

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 02:57 PM
link   
No, it doesn't. Is this the beginning of the end?

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   
WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!

remember, its in Quarantine, no need to panic (Yet)

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
According to some Government spokesperson this does not affect the UK's official "Disease free" status. No additional containment measures are being put in place.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 02:59 PM
link   
One point not to miss here. The parrot is reported to have been imported from South America. So this report could imply the presence of avian flu in both the U.K. as well as South America.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nerdling
According to some Government spokesperson this does not affect the UK's official "Disease free" status. No additional containment measures are being put in place.

Let the government bashing begin

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Thanks I feel better now, BUT.... It's the end of human life as we know it!!!

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Well, its a bird coming IN the UK, so dont panic yet

*edit*

BBC site:

..its not H5N1 strain

[edit on 21-10-2005 by infinite]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Before everyone freaks out....how many people in Europe have died from the disease? No really...I want to know. I'm guessing none?

[edit on 10/21/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
So DEFRA just so happened to have a Parrot in Quarantine with Avian Flu? How convenient is that.. My guess is DEFRA is trying to make Avian Flu more accessible too the UK, then to go on to report that it came from South America with the implication of a worldly plague?

I smell Scare Tactic , Red Tape, Double-Crossing

[edit on 21-10-2005 by XPhiles]

[edit on 21-10-2005 by Nerdling]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
Holy crap! If its in England it could quickly come to my beloved Ireland! Well we Irish will have to once again save the day! Ok, Turn on the mind-control spire, launch prometheus, go to def-con 1 and release the LBCU (Leprachaun Bio-hazard Containment Unit) To clean up the situation...

Come on, we'll protect you!

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Holy crap! If its in England it could quickly come to my beloved Ireland! Well we Irish will have to once again save the day! Ok, Turn on the mind-control spire, launch prometheus, go to def-con 1 and release the LBCU (Leprachaun Bio-hazard Containment Unit) To clean up the situation...

Come on, we'll protect you!

Again, you have clearly shown you can only post something immature in a thread about a serious subject.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:23 PM
link   
I feel quite fine. I had chicken for dinner too.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Again, you have clearly shown you can only post something immature in a thread about a serious subject.

Somebodys cranky..........

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Yes, people would be happier if we only talked gloom and doom. This is a news network after all.

Millions will probably die.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Seriously, some of you types are really the paranoid freaks aren't you? Theres been like 60 deaths in the whole world, the vast majority of which where the damn chicken farmers!

this is a bird that was INCOMING via quarantine. so it proves the system works.

You'd only moan if we let in the country without the checks and even with them you'll freak out too....

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dulcimer
Millions will probably die.

lol thats nice!

i know i shouldn't laugh, but i love the way Dulcimer gets straight to the point!

I'll give you a WATS vote for that

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Well the last outbreak did kill 20 million. According to Springer this one might kill 30-40% of the world. Do we still seem paranoid?

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join