It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran will launch their first Spy Satelite next Thursday.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 10:38 AM
link   
US should have stopped you guys. If i was President i would have sent a special ops team to destroy the sat. Or used some sort of ASAT weapon. The Russkies wouldve been pissed but so what. Cant have a bunch of terrorists with the ability to spy on American troops. Sad day in history

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 02:23 PM
link   
That Satellite in a time of war would be jammed and ineffective, so I don't know what it would be good for in peace time.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Smart would be to use a observation satellite to look at your own nation's agriculture, in order to improve the crops and the quality of life. And look for geo-resources, etc. But those photos can be bought, both cheaper and better, from existing satellites.

What can you do with your own satellite? What comes to mind, is to look and see how well your own camoflauge attempts are working. That's something you can't go asking for...

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Found photo of identical rocket in Aviation Week. It's an American Galaxy 14 satellite on an American PanAmSat upper stage vehicle, launched with a Soyez rocket. Here's another photo from a German website, with a Babbelfish translation:

www.onlinekosten.de...

After several starting shifts a Russian Soyuz rocket carried successfully a US satellite in the universe. The rocket main header this morning of the space station Baikonur in Kazakhstan off and dismissed the telecommunications satellite Galaxy-14 approximately one and a half hours later on its orbit. That approximately two tons heavy satellite is used by the US enterprise PanAmsat for television and video offers in the USA.

The Aviation Week photo Caption says:

PanAmSat has championed the use of small satellites such as Galaxy 14, built by Orbital Sciences Corp. and launched on Aug. 14 atop a Starsem Soyuz/Fregat rocket.

It's an American satellite, built by an American company, launched by an American company, on a Soyuz rocket.

www.satnews.com...
www.orbital.com...
www.panamsat.com...

Built by Orbital Satellites Corporation, Galaxy 14 is a next-generation high-performance cable satellite that is designed to deliver digital video programming, high-definition television (HDTV), VOD and IPTV services throughout the United States. Galaxy 14 will be co-located with Galaxy 12 at 125 degrees west longitude.

NR

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
The SATELITE has been launched, this is certainly good news. Were now 43rd country in the world to do such things.

Source

[edit on 27-10-2005 by NR]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by NR
The SATELITE has been launched, this is certainly good news. Were now 43rd country in the world to do such things.

Source

[edit on 27-10-2005 by NR]

I dont believe you, after all you said this:

"the rocket is awaiting blast off, heres the actuall picture" about that picture and that was a total lie.

How can we believe you and your sources if you are cought in blatent lies?

And of course, deliberatly posting incorrect information is agaisnt the TOS:

"1.) You will not post any material that is knowingly false, misleading, or inaccurate."

[edit on 27-10-2005 by skippytjc]

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 01:56 PM
link   
OH, I am so thrilled for Iran! I'm just wondering if they will be equally as excited when they "fall" out of orbit and land in the desert!?

What is it EXACTLY that Iran thinks it can accomplish from this futile, but cute, little exercise? I read where someone thought it would give them an "Advantage" over the U.S.??? Clearly that is the most laughable propspect that I have ever heard, but I believe it was stated with a straight face so I'll play along... The only "advantage" that this will afford Iran is a few seconds advanced warning that their game is about to come to a screeching halt, violently. But aside from that, I see no viable advantage for Iran... again, since these things won't hold orbit for more than a day or two.

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 02:38 PM
link   
The ignorance in this thread is freaking ridicules

posted on Oct, 27 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Well, from the start, it was an us vs them thread, if you read the tone...

What are your thoughts on this.....Also U.S troops will be monitered along with your supplys and navy near persian gulf so this can give us advantage just in case.

Good for you guys....but in the final analysis, it doesn't really mean all that much. Do you really think this would provide any advantage? It isn't like the US makes a big secret involving troop movements in the middle east. Watching CNN would probably provide the same level of intel.

However, it seems almost as if you are praying for a US/Iran showdown.

This seems ludicrous in the extreme...

If such a thing were to happen...I'd still be sitting in my chair watching tv, playing PlayStation, and sipping a Coke, while you are likely digging through rubble looking for survivors....so that hope is a bit lost on me...

That isn't a challenge, it's simply reality. The MOST I, as a US citizen would suffer from such a conflict is a spike in gas prices, more egg on our international face, and possibly a few more terrorist attacks on US soil. This is nothing in comparison to the horrors the people of Iran would have to suffer if EITHER side was so stupid as to escalate yet another armed conflict in the middle east.

And, if you think I have no idea of what things are like over there...you are wrong. I've lived in Saudi for almost 3 years and have travelled to Qatar, Bahrain, Yemen, and other such places.

I hope, for your people's sake, that both sides can come to more agreements on issues, and that childish battle lust is quickly outgrown....

It is my hope that you never have to learn the horrors of war first hand... Peace be upon you...

[edit on 27-10-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Oct 28, 2005 - A Soviet Kosmos-3M carrier rocket launched 8 satellites today, from the Plesetsk space center. The original announcement was that 9 satellites had been lofted to orbit. Total number of satellites, and whether all were successful, still is not yet clarified. One of them was the Iranian Sina-1 satellite. The eight satellites were university student payloads.

Photo at www.chinaview.cn
(Note: the Moscow Times website, for this launch, is showing the photo of the American cable tv satellite launched last week. Incorrect photo.)

Jane's describes the Sina-1 as a research satellite, having a camera and a transmitter.
www.janes.com...

The launch into space of Iran's first satellites - reconnaissance satellite Mesbah (Lantern) and research satellite Sina-1 - has been postponed from the scheduled date of 30 September due to a malfunction in the Sina-1 satellite.

The Mesbah reconnaissance satellite described by Jane's, was not listed as one of those launched today.

Photo at www.chinaview.cn

The Sina-1 is described here, at the BBC News
news.bbc.co.uk...

A joint project between Iran and Russia, the Sina-1 satellite will be used to take pictures of Iran and to monitor natural disasters...The satellite was built for Iran by Polyot, a Russian company based in the Siberian city of Omsk...

To add to the confusion...Chinese news sources describe the Sina-1 as a Chinese satellite, built for Iran.

One of the satellites failed to seperate from the third stage. It's not clear yet whether it was the Soviet military school's Mozhayets-5, or Iran's Sina-1.

posted on Oct, 28 2005 @ 05:34 PM
link   
For reasons largely having to do with pique and embarrassment over the 1979 terrorist takeover of the U.S. Embassy, we have largely ignored Iran even though documented proof continues to show that she is the principle money and organizational means behind most of the ME terror/political groups.

If you read _Why America Slept_ it becomes very obvious as to how this 'achievement' of space launch capability is not a good thing or even a /neutral/ thing that is happening.

For even if the satellite is strictly comms related, it provides them the ability to have worldwide discrete networking with whomever while effectively bypassing (1 point secure encrypts and directional signal or even 'held' orbital relays) our ability to monitor.

If it is recce, then any _unconventional_ attack (which is all that Iran has had the guts to instigate in 20+ years of terror in Lebanon and elsewhere) has mission planning an order of magnitude better than before, particularly as regards movement rates and dispositions of simple logistics systems which are the principle vulnerability of any enemy.

Including one encamped at various locations in Iraq.

On a darker note, it should be noted that when Russian orbited Sputnik, they did so on the basis of letting us hear the bleep-bleep noise of what an ICBM would be, screaming over the pole.

If you can LEO an object, you can put a 20kg (10KT) plutonium device onto any target below it's ground track. I don't believe Iran is a signatory on the Space Weapons act. And I don't believe it is wise to let them believe "We can't do anything about it..." because allowing such rebel psychology encourages the adolescent stupids to try and push a limit which should not be under question.

The real sadness here is that it simply reinforces the notion that as our presumed technical lead erodes because it is 'more profitable' to sell weapons around the world until we're all equally overarmed. We ALL become less secure, not more.

This is particularly true of Iran which is a nation with a chip on it's shoulder TEN TIMES the size of our 9/11 one, thanks to the brainless idiocy of their own tactics in the first PG War.

Add to this the fact that they continue to expand extremist/fundamentalism throughout Iraq via their 'untouchable' intel contacts within the mosques.

And it becomes clear that they are not a player (for good) on the world scene in any but a self interested, paranoid and increasingly maniacally hypocritical manner. Just like U.S..

All the while, they continue to cover up their 'convention center' attitude on various meetings of known terror groups OFFICIALLY welcomed within their country (one, met less than 2 months before 9/11 and included representatives of UBL's inner circle including the man who planned it all.).

If it comes right down to it, we still have a minor edge. In that it is already acknowledged that YABL-1 will have to be able to see /behind/ rising TBM targets to make sure it isn't LOS'ing a satellite.

But even this is a transient and very limited option. Because optics have definite square-of-aperture-for-root-of-distance (arc minute) limits that tend to restrict HEO and GSO uses for our own 'monitoring' purposes and DEWs themselves are not such a stretch of high energy physics as to be unmatchable by the industrial powers we have created through sales of advanced warfare tech (and purchase of oil).

And we are /vastly/ more vulnerable to ASAT warfare than anyone else.

Taken together, the only way to keep Iran bottled up in their own stew of glowie-in-darky paranoia (come out of the closet when you feel like putting your bombs down) while maintaining our own High Frontier information dominance, is to destroy Iran's remote intel gathering options NOW.

Before they can indeed hostage the world to their "And we'll do it!" image of an extremist Islamic whim.

I frankly don't give a damn if they flash fry the entire ME into self lighting parking lot status. We'll just come in and inherit their worthless dirt after we do for them in turn. But satellite capability is effectively proto-intercontinentals and that is just something they don't deserve to have.

This is what is so terrible about IIAF's obvious troll posts. He doesn't say "There, there, honeybear, just because we can doesn't mean we will." He fans the flames deliberately to set the stage for "And we told you we would!"

The nice thing about living in a largely secular nation is that we tend to value real things to be had in THIS world. Even in our own nuclear attack upon the mad dog Japanese bushido concept of suicide warfare; we did so to save our own so that they could come home. And our occupation of Japan has been nothing if not lenient to the point of ludicrosity ever since.

I have never seen that kind of respect for their own self interests (beyond any perceived affront) in Iranian politics. Nor any restraint in their actions towards others.

And if they insist on acting out the image the world has of their being a bunch of raving fanatics, their possession of a nuclear+strategic delivery+targeting option cannot be met with the same equanimity as say Russia or China was.

Because Iran could lose everything to a reprisal and it wouldn't end the world.

Even as they 'ended' U.S. as an island-isolated nation.

But both the USSR and PRC, as 'member nations' of the Euro-Asian landmass _know_ that if we level them in SIOP retaliation (or even first strike) the likelihood is high that the entire planet will become a wasteland both economically and environmentally with the massive det-count required to finish the job properly.

And so, as suddenly-discovered capitalist pigs like ourselves, they won't do anything that could end their chance to snuffle at the acorn of profit. At least not directly. Which is where No-Dong/Taepo-Dong and Russian Whatever tech insertions becomes, again, an obvious source of corrupt profiteering gone too far in arming the barbarians via other barbarians without acknowledgement of the chain of responsibility back to Russian and Chinese base systems.

KPl.

LINK-
Iranian Shahab and Norkian Dong's
www.fas.org...

posted on Oct, 29 2005 @ 03:32 AM
link   
With all the info about the Satellite being built BY Russia launched IN Russia, on a russian vehicle, I don't see how this is a technological advancement for Iran..??!!

I wouldnn't be surprised if the transponders would be directed to Russia and russia would be just handing over satellite photos to Iran..
Where's the self-sufficiency in that?
Russia will show Iran whatever it wants Iran to see..
And that too for a price of 'patenting' the sat as 'iranian

Iran would've been better off buying sat photos from Russia..Which I'm sure it does..
I don't understand the objective of all this..

What is that sat res??

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join