It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sniper "Ranking"

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I have actaully met and talked with a former Marine sniper. Now I know he is not the norm, but this guy thought he was a God and could divine anyones intent by observing them for a few minutes.

In fact he used his "Sniper experiance" to convince a bunch of people that I yelled at a few people from watching me almost 200 feet away with the mark I eyeball. Even tho I was mock yelling and had a big grin on my face that HE COULD NOT SEE since my back was to him.

Regardless the type of person it takes to observe someone and learn about their target intimatly, and like God, smite them with thier rifle without retaliation messes up quite a people mentally

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Figher Master FIN
But when it comes to accuracy I think that the M-82 comes very close to the 1st place. With it's range of 1800 meters i think that it makes any opponent scared...

[edit on 21-10-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

Actually, the M-82 isn't really that accurate. It uses the same ammunition as the .50 Machine Guns do, and those aren't meant for accuracy, but for firepower[obviously] and range.

As for the most accurate snipers, I would have to say a lot of Russians from WW2. Both men and women. Look at examples like Stalingrad. Here's an example of 1 such sniper:

www.vor.ru...

dang..........

[edit on 22-10-2005 by SEAL Trident]

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   
One thing I looked for was British snipers...theres not a lot about "Famous" british snipers and I'm interested into why not..
BTW mate, Your right about the RM sniper test, its the same with army snipers I believe as well.
You see a video of it on some discovery programs and by god those guys sersioly can hide....the instructors sometimes hide in an area which has a diffrent colour flora to the local flora causing the sniper to change his camo while in the field.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   

Ivan Mikhailovich Sidorenko

(Russian: Иван Михайлович Сидоренко) was the arguably the greatest Soviet sniper during World War II, considered to have shot 526 enemies.

en.wikipedia.org...

526 kills

More than the population of a school i went to

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:02 AM
link   
Seal Trident wrote

Actually, the M-82 isn't really that accurate. It uses the same ammunition as the .50 Machine Guns do, and those aren't meant for accuracy, but for firepower[obviously] and range.

So is the GPMG and the M60. They are the same cal as most modern sniper rifles (7.62X51 NATO). The accuracy of any round is greatly improved by the choice of ammunition. The round used in the M82 is not the same spec as that used in the M2. If you stuck a standard 7.62 round into a sniper rifle, then it's accuracy is greatly reduced. Same goes fo the .50 BMG.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Let's take these into account:

The .50 was made to take out things from Infrantry to Light Armored Vehicles. Now, look at the shape of the round. It works well for range obviously, but it was not meant accuracy as the .30 NATO Rounds are better at. Those rounds came out for Battle Rifles like the G3 or M14, while the .50 was made for BMGs.

Enter the M82s Design. A lot more able to take out enemies from vehicles, buildings, anit-material work, and others, but with the .50 mainly used for destroying targets with great firepower for the trade of accuracy, it's not the best choice for ranged targets.

If u want something with some pinpoint accuracy:

world.guns.ru...

here you go!!! My #1 choice for a Sniper Rifle!!!

[edit on 23-10-2005 by SEAL Trident]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Accuracy isn't about caliber, it's the round used... A standard 7.62Nato FMJ isn't going to hit sub 1 MOA groups no matter what rifle used, but specialize sniping/hunting/competition rounds will, same goes to .50 BMG or any caliber.

But 7.62 Nato isn't a good sniper caliber anyway, it lacks range for military uses, it's good for squad marksman or police sniper.. .50 cal or .408 cheytac have a heavy recoil and are heavo carry along.. best solution is a compromise like .300 Win Mag or my personal choise .380 Lapua Magnum... and prefered rifle to go with it Sako TRG 42..Sako TRG 42

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 02:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 10:35 AM
link   
7.62mm is used by the majority of western armies for sniping due to commonality, i.e. ammo availability. Granted, standard ball rounds are not much cop when used in sniper rifles, but they are alot better than no rounds at all! This is what can happen when your supply line goes down and you can't get sniper-sepcific ammo resupplied to you. Your gucci go faster .416 wonder blaster suddenly turns into a very expensive and sub-standard club. Much more useful if you can nip over to the nearest GPMG gunner and nick half a metre of gimpy link. Then you can at least provide some sort of role, albeit in a reduced capacity.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
By far the Best Female sniper....
[/url]

Was that the story that was the basis for the movie Enemy at the Gates?

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Now I understand why the Fins managed to inhibiate so many Russians during the WW2... But For me 500 kills seems a lot...

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by PaddyInf
Your gucci go faster .416 wonder blaster suddenly turns into a very expensive and sub-standard club.

Thats the funniest thing I have read on these boards in a very long time. Nice!

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
I myself am a former US Marine and know plenty of Snipers from many different services. I love the Marine Corps Snipers and used to love watching them train. It does take a certain individual to be a sniper.

Regarding the Royal Marine Snipers, IMHO with out a doubt hands down they are the best. one part of their training is that they have to sneak up on the instructors and get a "shot" off with out them being seen. To me that is almost impossible and those that pass that part, well, they are damn good.

Plus the Royal Marines (Same with the British Army) are nuts in a whole, but still a great group of men to train with and have as Allies.

Sorry, but I could not just abbreviate Royal Marine, I hold too much respect for them.

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 11:05 AM
link   

"Definitely need to include conflicts here too, it’s hugely relevant. I’m certain geography and other considerations need to be taken into account. Time in action should also be mentioned.

It’s easy to say some player hit 500 career homeruns, but if he played for 18 years is that really better than somebody who hit 300 in 8 years?"

Simo Häyhä did this in about three months !
www.snipercountry.com...

posted on Feb, 9 2006 @ 01:23 PM
link   
intresting statements by some about the accuracy of these rounds. Their basic positions are correct. Standard ball ammunition for these weapons is not target or sniper quality.
The rifles are around which make up alot of the difference in accuracy of these ball rounds..but within the trade...there are further techniques/technologies which make these rounds very accurate.
Technology from special bullet manufacturing techniques....to special gunpowders...special brass, primers...bullet seating techniques..brass case preparation...etc etc..all these techniques in addition to the construction of the rifles themselves make for substantial increases in accuracy.
IN the rifles ..just well designed triggers makes for alot better accuracy.
One of the keys to the 7.62x51 rifles popularity is among police teams... is merely affordability. While many teams have snipers they do not have subatantial budgets...unlike the militarys. They often must select from rifles they can afford. This tends to eliminate alot of the newer better performing very powerful long range calibers. While you can find 7.62x51 caliber in some very exotic and expensive rifles this is not what the bulk of police departments spend thier moneys on ....something more affordable is what they tend to do. This is what keeps this caliber..7.62x51 in the mainstream. Simple economics.
On this economic point.. I do not buy rifles in such exotic calibers that I cannot go into any hardware store or Wally world and buy ammunition for it. 7.62x51/.308 or 7.62x63/30.06 are available from coast to coast and in many places around the world.

Oh by the way..I have seen and observed the shooting of the Mosin Nagant rifles at my local shooting range. I am impressed with the ability of this rifle to shoot...decent groups. It is not particulary a visually pleasing rifle....but there is no doubt about its abilitys. I intend eventually to get one of them and add to my collection. The are also..economically quite affordable. Ammunition too as I am a reloader.

Thanks,
Orangetom

posted on Feb, 10 2006 @ 03:52 PM
link   
this sniper rifle is pretty awesome world.guns.ru...

However my fave is this one www.geocities.com...

More accurate than the M82 and the M6 version has 14.5 mm goodness with 0.7 Moa which is better than the M82 which hasa moa of more than 1

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:26 PM
link   

www.snipercentral.com...

Sniper rifles are only as accurate as the sniper that fires them but i would think that the M82, m-24 and m-40 are three of the best if not the best sniper rifles in the world. More about all of them on the site i linked.

Justin

posted on Feb, 17 2006 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The M82 isnt special. It isnt that accurate and the bullet it fires well you can get more powerfull ones. I dont know much about the competitors of the M24 and M40 though.

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 06:56 AM
link   
the m-24 and m-40 are great rifles and if u look on the link i posted then you will see that they are ranked with the best in the world.

Justin

posted on Feb, 18 2006 @ 08:04 AM
link   
m-21 and m-40 are decent and good enough to be used as squad/platoon marksmen... but they are nowhere accurate enough to be used in really accurate shooting... (you have to remember that M-40 is just modified remington hunting rifle, and m-21 is a match version of the M-14)

There is no way they could compete with the best rifles around... but at ranges

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join