It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Free OpenOffice.org 2.0 Suite Launches

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:57 AM
link   
OpenOffice.org 2.0, an open source office suite, has been released providing serious competition to Microsoft Office and OpenOffice XML. Some governments have put a priority on open source software and Massachusetts has rejected Microsoft's OpenOffice XML, which has helped OpenOffice.org 2.0 gain footing in the battle to become the most popular office suite in the world. OpenOffice.org 2.0 is described as a mature program by expert Tim Bray, a creator of XML.

www.informationweek.com
An open-source group Thursday launched the final version of OpenOffice.org 2.0, a free application suite that's drawn attention from governments interested in breaking away from Microsoft's office application bundles.

OpenOffice.org 2.0, which has been in development for more than two years and recently delayed by some last-minute bugs, can now be downloaded from the Web in versions for Windows, Linux, and Solaris. A native Mac OS X edition is still being ported.

"OpenOffice.org is on a path toward being the most popular office suite the world has ever seen," claimed Jonathan Schwartz, the chief executive of Sun Microsystems, in a statement.

Sun and OpenOffice.org are linked by the code on which the suite is based. In 2000, Sun, which a year earlier had acquired a German company that developed StarOffice, released the code as the OpenOffice.org project. The two continue to share code, with Sun's StarOffice -- version 8 went final in late September -- sold commercially with bundled support.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

For my purposes, the Microsoft Works suite "works" for me, but when I needed more power to create documents, I was partial to Word Perfect, finding Microsoft Office to be a pale and annoying shadow. I was very disappointed when my employer adopted Office over Word Perfect. Now, however, with the availability of this free version, I might just be lured away from the lean but adequate Works. At any rate, it's good news for those who don't like Microsoft and those who prefer free anything to anything costing money.

[edit on 2005/10/21 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I downloaded it last night, and I am impressed. Microsoft should be worried - especially as Google is supporting the open office standard as part of their server-based application plan.

I wonder - is there a thread about Google taking over the digital world?

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Oh I love Open Office. I messed around with Fedora Core 4 running Gnome desktop. Its an incredible package when you consider the price... free. Then you load up something like Open Office and you are just in business. Its a great package and front I was able to see it is compatible with documents created in M$ Office. These desktop systems on Linux have come a LONG way since Red Hat 5.0. I think its getting to the point where it is more friendly for the average user. Better driver support. For office use it is a great thing. I'm not sure about normal household use just yet given the lack of game support still. If you have a spare computer around the house I'd recommend grabbing Fedora and installing Open Office on it. Try it out. If you don't like it then just reformat the drive.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by shantyman

Here ya go:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I donwloaded it yesterday I like the new addition, Open Base. It'll let you create a database using their engine or you can use ODBC to connect to existing connections such as MySQL or Access. It's embedded dbase engine (HSQLDB) uses an XML file to store the information.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 07:57 AM
link   
surprisingly office 2004 for mac's works far better than that the standard issue for windows. It is still an annoying piece of merde but it at least works better...still I only use it when I have to interact with those lost souls who think their discount dell is a better machine than any Mac but when i am doing work for myself it's either appleworks or pages....pages is much better than word, even word for macs ever dreamed of being.

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

Originally posted by shantyman

Here ya go:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Thanks Grady!

top topics

join