It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bird Flu - is a pandemic inevitable

page: 1

join
share:
la2

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:45 PM
link   
After watching various angles on the Avian flu outbreaks in Europe (Sky News, Fox, CNN, BBC, CCTV) I'd like to put it to this forum.

Have we now reached the point where the mutation of the virus is now almost inevitable, human Flu is rife at this time of year across Europe, and isnt it only a matter of time before someone infected with Avian Flu is also infected with human flu, thus giving the viral mutaion a huge helping hand.

What do you think the new strain will be like? will it be as deadly?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
The best defence, at this time, is the quarantine and killing of infected poultry stocks and avoiding touching surfaces where wild birds have cleaned their beaks, eaten or defecated.

It hasn't spread across the world yet, but the migrating flocks are on the move.

When and if it does mutate into a human flu, what potential it has to precipitate a pandemic can't be known until it that mutation occurs. It doesn't look good, by all that I've read so far.

Not many people seem to care about the effects on the birds themselves, though. Can you imagine a 50% reduction of birds worldwide and what effect that can have on the insect populations? Even if it doesn't mutate into a human virus, imo, we could still be facing a plague of insects.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:44 PM
link   
This is a big hype, phony "crisis" like SARS, BSE, swine flu -- on and on. Remember? Like the "terrorists ?" The phony BSE scare has allowed the Illuminati government to nearly destroy the cattle industry, and all they're doing is looking for an excuse to impose marshal law, to threaten and scare us.

Just like the phony Baltimore Tunnel terrorist scare of last week.

Now if you really want to be scared of something, be scared of the government. Now THAT'S scary.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Let's restate what's happening:

Bird flu has killed people in Southeast Asia -- but not a lot of them, comparatively speaking

news.xinhuanet.com...
Up to 91 Vietnamese people have been infected with bird flu since the disease started to break out in the country in late 2003. Of them 41 have died

91 cases in 2 years. Now, Vietnamese government may not be the most truthful one... so....

There are a few cases in Thailand:
www.bangkokpost.com...

Russia: Birds only ones affected - www.channel4.com...

Romania: Birds only ones affected (beware of popups on this page. Annoying!) www.forbes.com...

Turkey: Birds only ones affected - www.forbes.com...

Taiwan: in birds smuggled in by bird smuggler. Smuggler has no symptoms, but birds died of the avian flu - www.taipeitimes.com...

Scotland: in birds, not humans - news.scotsman.com...

The term "bird flu" is a high target set of words right now. I think people read the articles, see the name and reports of governments preparing for it and the Worry Factor sets in. Every new title begins to look like the beginning of an epidemic.

So far, there aren't any confirmed cases (at least as of last week) of the virus going from one human to another... just the occasional jump from birds to humans. Few humans coming in contact with infected birds catch te flu.

While I think we need to keep an eye on all zoonotic diseases (this one will affect our food supplies) I also think the media's gone completely hysterical over this one.

Just check the archives for SARS last year and you'll see the same worry and panic over a similar handfull of cases.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
Snip....Just check the archives for SARS last year and you'll see the same worry and panic over a similar handfull of cases.

Caution: you can not equate the SAR's outbreak with Influenza. Thats apples and oranges my friend.

Sars is a coronavirus which needs direct contact to spread as opposed to H5N1 which when it does aquire the needed human sequence to go H2H, will spread as easily as the regular flu.

As far as it's virulence, H5N1 will, when it recombines, be less deadly than the 50% fatility rate at present. How much? could be 5% or 49%. Mother nature will make that call.

top topics

join