It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Scientists Find What Gives Marijuana Smokers "The Munchies"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Scientists have made a startling breakthough in the effort to combat anorexia and obesity by finding the part of the brain that makes cannabis users "get the munchies" and crave chocolate and pizza. The discovery could pave the way for drugs to be developed that specifically target this section of the brain to control eating with minimal side affects. Scientists injected THC into rats, in a part of the brain's hypothalamus called the paraventricular hypothalamic nucleus (PVN), which is known to control feeding and they found that it stimulated the rats appetites.

www.abc.net.au

Australian researcher Dr Paul Mallet of the University of New England in Armidale and team will report their rat study in the journal Neuropharmacology.

"Because smoking cannabis increases appetite, it was believed that this was somehow related to the effects of cannabis on some brain centre but that was until now not identified," says Mallet, a biological psychologist.

"What we find is that these rats get the munchies," says Mallet.

The brain has long been known to have a cannabinoid system involving receptors that react with both THC and a naturally occurring substance called anandamide.

"It's very unlikely we evolved a brain cannabinoid system so that we can get stoned at parties," says Mallet.

So far the cannabinoid system has been found to play a role in perceiving pain, motor control, storing memories and feeling hungry.

The problem is that cannabinoid receptors exist throughout the brain and play different roles in different parts of the brain.

This means that many of the cannabinoid pharmaceuticals being developed have unwelcome side-effects.

"For some individuals they experience pleasure, about four out of five individuals. But for one out of five individuals cannabis is quite anxiety provoking," says Mallet.

"We've given the pharmaceutical industry ... a bit more evidence," he says.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Yet another good medicinal usage for Marijuana. It is great news that the scientists have just proved what every smoker has known for years, that its not psychosomatic and the urge for food does exist.

Hopefully this will lead to more discoveries and proper uses for the drug so the drug becomes used not abused.

[edit on 20-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:04 PM
link   
Whatever benefits may be found for the marijuana plant, those properties can be found in synthesized or extracted chemicals. They won't be legalizing marijuana in this lifetime.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   
Maybe not in your lifetime Grady. How old are you anyway? If the American public ever wises up to the rest of the garbage they have been passing off as information, perhaps they will realize that the silly things they tell us about cannabis are swill also.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
Trust me. There is no one on this board who will live to see legal marijuana in the United States.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
Gradyphil,

I just went to a Smokeshop on Sunset Blvd. La, Ca, and bought a gram of governmental issued pot. I had no liscense to smoke it, but they gave me one when I got there. That seems to be as legal as I need it!

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
Don't get caught. It's not legal even in California.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Gradyphil,

From my understanding California has been legalized for medicinal purposes for a while now. I know of the federal provision that trumps state laws for medicinal marijunanna, but I think the feds no better than to mess with California. These shops are not discreet by any means! Are you familiar with these shops?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
We eat a lot in B.C.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
These shops are not discreet by any means! Are you familiar with these shops?

I know of them and my advice to you is to not be fooled. Eventually, the feds will win.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
I know of them and my advice to you is to not be fooled. Eventually, the feds will win.

I don't really have much of an opinion on the issue, having graduated college several years ago. I will say, however, that it takes money to fight wars.

Zip

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Oh please don't take away the magic
I have had many a night filled with the munchies and the thought of why never crossed my mind but damn that brownie sure looks good

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Trust me. There is no one on this board who will live to see legal marijuana in the United States.

Go to Alaska. Legal possession and use of up to 4 ounces in your own house. While its still illegal under Federal Law, its legal under State Law (of course Federal law takes precedence), but the local fuzz dont enforce it, following State Law.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by dreamlandmafia
While its still illegal under Federal Law, its legal under State Law (of course Federal law takes precedence), but the local fuzz dont enforce it, following State Law.

Same in Cali, even though it's only legal if you have a prescription, it's a low priority even for those without prescriptions. There were a couple of pot clubs raided by feds recently, but that's because they were involved with other drug distribution. You're bound to get a few bad apples.
There are about 40 "pot clubs" in the Bay Area.

They bust people in the park for selling once in awhile but that's cause the kids/gangs selling it are into speed and heroin.

It's so easy to get pot; $250 will get you a prescription. Making it federally legal could actually hurt the smokers. At least now it's not in the hands of the pharmaceuticals. Cause we all know that's why it's not legal right?
I would hate to think what they would do to it to maximize their profits. Chemical additives to make it addictive?
They want to replace the plant with artificial THC, they are testing a spray right now. You just spray it into your mouth. Why? Because they can control it and its profit margin. Try making that spray at home.
Many many plants have medical properties but we are forced to except and buy the artificial stuff the pharmers "push" on the public. No diff than the street drug dealer. The pharmers reps even call it "pushing drugs" when they convince doctors with bribes and such to prescribe their product to their patients.
It's all about keeping the public ignorant, and keeping control of health products with the pharmers who have a monopoly on medication.
And the health industry is happy keeping us ignorant because we are not patients any more we are customers.

[edit on 21/10/2005 by ANOK]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnAbsoluteCreation
These shops are not discreet by any means! Are you familiar with these shops?

Would you care to elaborate? The feds will win what? Or did you just mean they'll eventually close the shops? Do you not think they'll reopen? Do you not think people are going to keep pushing and pushing the envelope over asinine laws that cage innocents with murderers?

Anyone who thinks the "war on drugs" (which as far as money/arrests go, has basically turned into a war on MJ in the 90's and on) will ever actually be "won". There is ALWAYS going to be demand and as long as human curiousity and knowledge of any substance exists, people are going to be using. Sorry if this went off topic.

Anyways, some things don't make sense in the article. How do you "inject THC"? It's not water soluble....

Plus, there are around 70 active chemicals in marijuana, besides THC, that effect the user. So it might just be THC that has an effect on hunger...or maybe THC needs to be with another chemical to produce the "munchies". There's not enough information/research on all the chemical properties found in marijuana to make any actually usable synthetic drugs. It doesn't help that research is illegal in the US.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 12:48 AM
link   
The feds can't close the pot clubs, they are legal by State law.
Prop 215 (med marijuana) was voted on and passed. If the feds close the pot clubs it would just prove how useless the vote is, and it would prove "their" democracy is nothing but a sham.

Grady, why are you so anti-pot. Do you know something we don't, or do you just believe the lies spread by the feds and pharmers?
Have you ever taken a medication prescribed to you by a doctor?
How would you like it if we decided we didn't want you taking that medication that helps you?
I'm sure you would say, "What right do you have telling me what medication I can take?"

Is it that you just blindly except the law because it's "the law"?
Laws are changed all the time, and just because the feds decide to make something unlawful doesn't mean it's not useful to us.
The feds aren't the experts on everything, and most laws are not there to protect us but to maintain control on resources and keep the profits rolling in. I won't go into the pot is better than blah blah blah, but it is.

So what if some people abuse it (not that you CAN abuse pot FGS), people abuse all kinds of stuff from cough medicine to glue, but I don't see the feds banning them.

Pot is not the evil you think it is. I think you're just scared of something you don't understand.

[edit on 21/10/2005 by ANOK]

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Illegal or not theres a grow op in every second house now anyways and ill never understand how booze is legal and Marijuana isnt.Id rather have people smokin a joint and playin video games and eating chips than all the drunken brawls and drinking and driving etc that alcohol causes.

I believe the problem for the government legalizing marijuana would be all the medications and other products derived from marijuana and hemp would no longer be needed thus costing the Government to much money.

With Street drugs being legal what the heck would the CIA sell to inject 500 million a year into the US economy

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Wow,these rats must be the luckiest victims of vivisection ever....thc injections and pizza....wonder if any of them had a whitey?

new topics

top topics

join