It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Annual Worldwide Press Freedom Index

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Every year the Institution Reporters Without Borders makes a Survey of Press Freedoms around the World.

Here are the Results:

1. Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Netherlands, Norway, Switzerland

8. Slovakia

9. Czech Republic, Slovenia (Thats ME!!!
)
24. United Kingdom
44. United States of America (American territory)
137. United States of America (in Iraq)
164. Iran
165. Turkmenistan
166. Eritrea
167. North Korea

Some Western democracies slipped down the Index. The United States (44th) fell more than 20 places, mainly because of the imprisonment of New York Times reporter Judith Miller and legal moves undermining the privacy of journalistic sources. Canada (21st) also dropped several places due to decisions that weakened the privacy of sources and sometimes turned journalists into “court auxiliaries.” France (30th) also slipped, largely because of searches of media offices, interrogations of journalists and introduction of new press offences.

Nine states that have had independence (or recovered it within the past 15 years) are among the top 60 countries - Slovenia (9th), Estonia (11th), Latvia (16th), Lithuania (21st), Namibia (25th), Bosnia-Herzegovina (33rd), Macedonia (43rd), Croatia (56th) and East Timor (58th).

North Korea once again comes bottom of the Reporters Without Borders fourth annual World Press Freedom Index, released today. It is closely followed in the 167-country list by Eritrea (166th) and Turkmenistan (165th), which are other “black holes” for news where the privately-owned media is not allowed and freedom of expression does not exist.

Source:
Reporters sans Frontieres

[edit on 20/10/05 by Souljah]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
As long as republicans and Fox News still exsist there will be a great amount of false information, cencorship and propaganda in US media. Wake up, people -or check foreign papers or TV-stations for a REAL view on many cases. Interesting to see i.e coverage from Iraq, Afghanistan or "similar" events in US media compared to Norwegian or danish. Even the 9/11 coverage was misleading in US media compared to many european news corps. Glad I live in Norway
)

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 06:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by phlake
As long as republicans and Fox News still exsist there will be a great amount of false information, cencorship and propaganda in US media. Wake up, people -or check foreign papers or TV-stations for a REAL view on many cases. Interesting to see i.e coverage from Iraq, Afghanistan or "similar" events in US media compared to Norwegian or danish. Even the 9/11 coverage was misleading in US media compared to many european news corps. Glad I live in Norway
)

Agreed.

The Same news gets a whole different spin, when seen on US or European news. For example - Reuters is very Famous in Europe and also very Apprechiated source for news. In the USA Reuters is known as a "terrorist supporter".

Anyway, I am glad I live in Slovenia!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 05:59 AM
link   

Nine states that have had independence (or recovered it within the past 15 years) are among the top 60 countries - Slovenia (9th), Estonia (11th), Latvia (16th), Lithuania (21st), Namibia (25th), Bosnia-Herzegovina (33rd), Macedonia (43rd), Croatia (56th) and East Timor (58th).

Now there's a rollcall of movers and shakers!

Originally posted by Souljah

So are we, Souljah, so are we.

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Now there's a rollcall of movers and shakers!

Care to Comment How any Why the United States fell down 20 places to Number 44?

I didn't think so...

Originally posted by Souljah

So are we, Souljah, so are we.

Was that supposed to be Funny?

I think you are just Jealous, that we ranked No.9, and your precious Goverment did such a splending Job, that if fell on number 44, between Macedonia and Bolivia.

[edit on 25/10/05 by Souljah]

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Yeah, it is funny to hear you crow about the company you keep:

Bosnia: Jihadist Incubator
www.abovetopsecret.com...

I'm jealous allright!

posted on Oct, 25 2005 @ 11:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
Yeah, it is funny to hear you crow about the company you keep:

Bosnia: Jihadist Incubator