It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

outlook express users

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 07:44 AM
link   
hello,
I just needed a good forum to get help with this!
I use outlook express with my default name and password given by my isp. I would like to "add an identity" for another user in my house!!
when I go through the setup, or use the steps provided on microsofts website, I go through and type info in where needed, but i'm not sure what to type at certain areas! Like it asks for a name, then an email address, then the name and password given by my isp??
this seems confusing because I`m not sure if i use information from the exsisting(default) name and account or do you make up addresses and passwords for the new identity?
Either way I try, the setup completes, and i can switch under the two identities and there are files in one inbox and not the other so some things are correct, but sending mail for both identities now is all messed up and I get error messages?
I know this has somthing to do with me not typing the right information in somewhere, or by messing with the settings of the default and the new identity to try and get them working INDEPENDANTLY!
microsofts explanations on how to do things are greatly lacking in details, and are of no help!
I know this is a simple thing to do, I just never tried to do it before for outlook E....
if any of you understand exsactly what I might be doing wrong, or would like to try and help, I can describe in greater detail where I think I`m messing things up!
thanks for any thoughts in advance.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 07:48 AM
link   
First things first Qlone, you'll need to visit your ISP's website, login, and create a new mailbox on your account (providing they allow you more than one)

Once you've done this, and you have the following details to hand...

Incoming POP3 server
Outgoing SMTP server
Email address
Username
Password

...I'll be glad to assist further.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 08:00 AM
link   
Just had a thought, can't have you hanging around waiting for me once you've got the required info! Hopefully the following steps will help you get it up and running:

Logon to Outlook Express using the new identity.
Go to Tools > Accounts
Click on the Mail tab
Go to Add > Mail

During the wizard, the fields will require completion as follows:

Display Name: the name you want to appear in the 'From' field.

Click next.

Select the option "I already have an email address that I'd like to use" and enter the new email address you created on your ISP's webpage.

Click next.

Incoming/Outgoing mail servers: these will be the same as the ones your other email account uses.

Click next.

Account Name: this will be in the same format as your other email account, sometimes it's just the first part of the address (before the @ symbol), sometimes it's the full email address.

Password: self explanatory.

Click next, then finish, and all going well that should be you. You should then be able to switch identities when required (you can specify a password for them if reqd)

Good luck!

[edit] - have just re-read your post - the above could be complete nonsense if you're trying to use the same email address for both indentities! If this is the case, U2U me and I'll assist further if needed - cheers.

[Edited on 15-9-2003 by UniversalFiction]

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 08:12 AM
link   
hey thanks already, would have never thought to go through isp!
a sub account is now active now i will use the email setup tools like you say!!
thanks alot I think it should work now!!

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 08:38 AM
link   
sorry if i made people think theres a security issue!!!!!
~hey fiction
thanks again...everything works fine now mail can be sent with both accounts now!!! thank you very much.
the only thing is, is there a way to prompt who you want to log on as before it chooses for you? (like aol) so you would pick a name before any are logged on? thanks again......... this will be my last reply!

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Qlone
sorry if i made people think theres a security issue!!!!!
~hey fiction
thanks again...everything works fine now mail can be sent with both accounts now!!! thank you very much.
the only thing is, is there a way to prompt who you want to log on as before it chooses for you? (like aol) so you would pick a name before any are logged on? thanks again......... this will be my last reply!

No problem at all.

With regards to startup identity settings...

Log onto Outlook Express.
Go to File > Identities > Manage Identities

If I remember rightly, once this settings panel has opened, there should be a drop-down box at the bottom labelled "Start Up Using" - you should be able to set this to the option "Ask Me" which will generate a prompt when you open Outlook Express.

new topics

top topics

join