It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: US Planning Invasion Of Venezuela, Says Chavez

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
In a recent interview for the BBC Venezuela's President Hugo Chavez claimed he had in his possesion, "intelligence showing that the United States plans to invade his country." Mr Chavez claims the US is after his countries oil. He stated, "any invasion would never be allowed to happen."

news.bbc.co.uk

Asked why he thought the US was trying to invade Venezuela, Mr Chavez said: "We have denounced intentions.

"A coup happened in Venezuela that was prepared by the US. What do they want? Our oil, as they did in Iraq.

"We have detected with intelligence reports plans of a supposed invasion, one that would never happen. But we have to denounce it," Mr Chavez said.

Mr Chavez went on to describe the US as a terrorist government.

"It is an imperialist government, one that says it fights against terrorism but protects it. The US throws stones to Latin America.

The country's vast oil reserves - the largest in the Americas - have given it a strategic importance, but the US state department denies trying to overthrow the president.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Has he really got intelligence warning of a US invasion, or is he just a tad paranoid?

The US would be mad to invade Venezuela, if it happens Bush will be condemned by every nation on Earth...except little Britain of course!

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:00 PM
link   
Well, as a few people have pointed out, it depends on what you consider a "plan" to invade a country.

The United States (and many other countries, but we only seem to focus on the US) are in possession of "plans" to invade pretty much every country in the world. It's part of good military strategy and a good way not to get caught unprepared.

So the question arises, how would one of these plans wind up in the hands of the country it talks about?

I believe that Chavez knows quite well that Bush is not a fan, and believes in his heart that Bush wants to overthrow/attack him. I don't think he's trying to start trouble, I think he actually believes that. However, I do not think for a moment that he is in possession of any plan of attack belonging to the US military.

As a personal note, I think the US attacking Venezuela would be a crappy idea and do not believe that it would happen.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
I would put money on Chavez having people in the Bush Co Government, as I would bet they do in his as well.

These "documents" tend to be open to enough people and the way it is going right now, with their invasion of Iraq it'll only take one person to be annoyed and get it too him...

Do they have one? Yes.
Would they do it? Probably.

df1

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
The U.S. overthrowing south american governments is nothing new. Just to name a couple:

Salvador Allende Overthrown September 11, 1973
The violent overthrow of the democratically-elected Popular Unity government of Salvador Allende changed the course of the country that Chilean poet Pablo Neruda described as "a long petal of sea, wine and snow"; because of CIA covert intervention in Chile, and the repressive character of General Pinochet's rule, the coup became the most notorious military takeover in the annals of Latin American history.

Manuel Noriega Overthrown Christmas 1989
Four days before Christmas in 1989, Barbara Trent was feeling distrustful. When she turned on her television that morning, she watched President George Bush announce that he had deployed over 20,000 US troops to Panama in order to arrest President Manuel Noriega and overthrow his government.

We also have credible allegations that Noriega's predecessor, Omar Torrijos, was also whacked by the U.S. governement.

It appears to me that Chavez has every reason to be concerned and fearful, both for his own life and the fate of his country.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Get real. Of course he didn't recieve any intelligence suggesting an invasion. He's just another attention whore world leader (ala lil Kim) who realizes he's basically alone and is trying to dredge up any ally that he can. He know the US isn't the most popular country in the world right now, and Bush isn't the most popular person, so he's using that to gain attention or whatever he's doing.
His pathetic crybaby attempts at popularity more than likely won't work, and in a couple months he'll say some more stupid stuff to get his name in the headlines again.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:07 PM
link   
isn't that the second time he has said that this year

I remember seeing this before on ATS, about a couple of months ago. Just before the London bombings (i think)

[edit on 20-10-2005 by infinite]

df1

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:32 PM
link   

infinite
isn't that the second time he has said that his year

Its just like all of those terrorist warnings in NY/NJ, they are all starting to sound the same. Maybe Chavez needs to set up a warning level system for the invasion like:

Each threat could be represented by a color, with red indicating that a U.S. Invasion is coming soon. In this way Chavez could keep us informed without the need to repeat himself.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
If America would stop invading Nation's than he wouldn't have a leg to stand on...but those of us who can open a history book, look at Africa, Middle East, Asia and South America know the U.S. does take care of people who are problems.

And he is a problem...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:13 PM
link   

If America would stop invading Nation's than he wouldn't have a leg to stand on...

Well I know we invaded Iraq, and took care of business in Afghanistan (not really an invasion)...
Other than that....I must have missed something....

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
I would think that if there was an invasion planned, then he would know far more than we would...

We were at war in Nicaragua for years... and you didn't even know it did you?

hell, for that matter I put money that we have dudes in black tromping around some small latin nation as we speak...

But invade? nah... too cliche... when we can just secretly back his opposing party, and install a puppet government...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   

Well I know we invaded Iraq, and took care of business in Afghanistan (not really an invasion)...
Other than that....I must have missed something...

I would say you missed the 80's when the States had a hayday in Central America.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:21 PM
link   
I'd say Chavez has a real problem - for all the reasons stated above, and more.

Bird flu will give Bush a strategic opportunity - if he's still in power. Or if his Prter/Jose team is still in power, which looks like the plan.

The way it will work - the bird flu epidemic or some other global catastrophe will hit - then the US will make it's move, when everyone else is still reeling from the shock.

...Right now, Bush' handlers can't seem to make up their minds whether to go after Iran, Venezuela, or China - but when the time comes, they will strike. Using Americans' tax dollars and Uncle Sam's credit card.

new topics

top topics

join