It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An Unlikely Flying Machine

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   
The Military's Walrus: An Unlikely Flying Machine

Interesting concept of using airships again for war time missions.

I guess if the the Navy was unloading ships in a secure area, then yes I think the airship would be a good superlifter.

One think concerns me is that this airship sure would make an easy target for an RPG or a stinger type weapon, I would use it to lift cargo, but not troops.

In the back of my mind I can see the Hindenburg going down in flames and I would hate to see this repeated on CNN full of troops.

By Bill Christensen
posted: 12 September 2005
01:28 pm ET

link to story

www.livescience.com...

The Walrus operational vehicle (OV) is envisioned to have the primary operational task of deploying composite loads of personnel and equipment (for example, the components of an Army Unit of Action) ready to fight within six hours after disembarking the aircraft.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:02 PM
link   
gun shots wont take it down, and rpg's would need a few good shots to do so. But I doubt that plan on flying them in that type of a hostile environment.

I think them carring vehicles/troops/weapons/etc. is all agood thing. If it has some major failure in its flight they have a long time to try and fix the problem...or bail out.

Airships fall slowely because of there lighter then air ability. So you have time to react and fix the problem or bail. and they wouldn't go up in flames these days...like the Hindenburg did over 68 years ago. technology has improved a tremendous amount since that time...its time we stop remembering Airships as death traps, and start thinking of them as the alternative to Planes & Ships.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
I think its a funny image they used: CG but they show old school Jeeps on the ramp. Go figure...

And as was said: You wont see these things dropping troops and stuff into hot zones where small arms fire would be an issue. Just a big bulk mover. I also read someplace that they can make excellent stealth blimps too to avoid longer range weapons.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 03:20 PM
link   
These will probably be using Helium for their lifting gas so a Hindenberg type fire is out of the question. If they can make the gas bag cloth right they could be impervious to small arms fire except in the cargo and engine areas. These won't be that fast, maybe 50, 60 knots. If they can carry enough cargo they could replace ships. All in all it is an interesting concept.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
No explosion like the Hindenburg, the Hindenburg was filled with hydrogen, which is bad for airships, by this time most other airships(ones made by the US) were filled with helium to reduce chances of a catastrophic fire. The Germans could not gain access to helium as America had put an embargo on the export of helium.

I think it's a very good idea, because Walrus' won't be deployed directly into hostile areas, they are to be used to transport large amounts of cargo from Point A to point B, more effectively than aircraft and faster than cargo ships. Plus, you wouldn't need a harbor to unload, you can simply land in an open field that has enough of a clearing.

However defense from long range air attack might be a priority.

Shattered OUT...

new topics

top topics

join