It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Talk-show host silenced by military radio network

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Well, we wouldn't really don't want the truth to be known do we. I have actually heard his show before and he tells it like it is.

www.signonsandiego.com...

Ed Schultz bills his liberal radio show as "straight talk from the heartland." But he says Armed Forces Radio is being anything but straight with him on why it is not airing his show.

Schultz, whose progressive-talk show airs on 102 commercial radio stations nationally, including K'___'/1360-AM in San Diego, suspects it has something to do with his criticism of Pentagon brass last week.

She was at the center of an embarrassing episode last week when an open mike caught her rehearsing with soldiers in Iraq who were about to talk with President Bush on a televised teleconference call about improving conditions there.

Censorship is starting and is anyone worried?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Censorship is not starting and this is not the first time that a media personality has been "thrown" out of the two hot spots.

I personally have never heard the show and I am not sure if it is even broad casted around here. But if the show in question is talking about current or upcoming operations or anything else that would endanger my brothers and sisters over there, then YES. Block them and kick them the hell out.

[edit on 10-20-2005 by BlackBeard]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Armed Forces Radio plays Rush, Dr. Laura and James Dobson tripe all day long.

One news talk show covered the scripting of the Bush video feed and it was cancelled the next day.

I don't know if that's censorship, but it's punitive, reactionary and not very fair & balanced.

In other words, typical.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Umm, AFN or Armed Forces radio Network is a government owned radio/TV station. So they can have or not have any show or any person they wish. That's just the way it is. And usually the viewers/listeners chose what gets played.

Anyways, I woudlnt mind listening to Schultz's show...but seriosuly, what did they expect. Would be nice to have other stuff on...

Government + liberal radio show = not gonna happen

[edit on 20/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:42 AM
link   
What a disappointingly deceitful title.

Here I thought I was going to read about a talk show host who had been murdered...

Instead, AFN just chose not to broadcast his show.

He is still broadcasting elsewhere, no?

If so, it is hardly "silencing."

Here's a better story for you:

I think I should be on the radio. Also, I think I should be able to talk to the troops all day long. My show would be a blend of half-witty retorts and contests with myself to see how long I can hold my breath (on air).

Speaking of holding my breath, I think the facts that I have no training, no radio experience, nothing worthwhile to put on the radio, and no legitimate reason to want to be on the radio, should not be held against me.

In fact, I'm not even going to ask AFN to give me a show. If they don't just do it out of the kindness of their hearts, I'm going to cry to the press. I can see the headlines now...

"Hamburglar silenced by AFN. Continues to hold breath."

Come on, guys. How stupid is this? They don't have to give him a show. That's it. They didn't silence anybody. Story over.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   
The fact that the AFN choose to air only one side of the political spectrum has dangerous potential consequences for American democracy. If the military is only exposed to views reflecting the far right, the rest of us are in real danger. Of course, that's probably the intent.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

from linked story:
"Armed Forces Radio notified us that we were supposed to start on (Monday)," said Schultz, who broadcasts from Fargo, N.D. "Then my producer got a call from Allison Barber at 6 a.m. saying it's not going to happen.

by Hamburglar:
Instead, AFN just chose not to broadcast his show.

...They don't have to give him a show. That's it. They didn't silence anybody. Story over.

Apparently his show's distibutor, Jones Radio, had received notification on Sept. 29 that the show would be broadcast daily on AFR beginning Monday.

Is it coincidence that shortly after Mr. Schultz's "jab" at Allison Barber, addressing the scripted rehearsal with troops for Bush's teleconference, his show gets cancelled?

He admits poking a bit of fun at Barber and Bush, too. "But that's talk radio."

[sarcasm]More and more it seems you can beat your wife, beat your kids, hell you can even beat your dog. But if you beat the Bush then it's no go for the Schutlz show!

So many here want to bitch and complain about the main stream media only showing us one side of the situation in Iraq. However, it's okay to do the same for our troops serving abroad. There's no need to "show" them both sides of the coin, now is there? [/sarcasm]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Schultz, whose progressive-talk show airs on 102 commercial radio stations nationally, including K'___'/1360-AM in San Diego, suspects it has something to do with his criticism of Pentagon brass last week.

So he "suspects". What reason did AFN give?

AFN doesn't have to agree to airing his show. This is not censorship.

Now if Al Franken were prohibited from broadcasting, that would be censorship.

"Hamburglar silenced by AFN. Continues to hold breath."

Take deep breaths, Hamburglar!

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 06:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Armed Forces Radio plays Rush, Dr. Laura and James Dobson tripe all day long.

Tripe!? Those are three of the greatest comedians of our time. They aren't trying to be, and they don't know that they are. They just start talking and it happens. That, my friends, is what some would call genius. Tripe aint what it used to be

(and allow me to preempt the obvious rejoinder- no, it's not "funny because it's true". It's funny because somebody is actually getting paid to say it.)

top topics

join