It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Pulitzer Prize Winning Photos from War in Iraq 2005

page: 1
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:55 AM
link   
Here are the Winners of this year Pulitzer Prize for best Photo.

Best Photos

Here are some Photos:



Fallujah - A 1st Division Marine carries a good luck mascot in his backpack as his unit pushed into western neighborhoods of Fallujah. Coalition forces launched a major November offensive for control of the city. (Photo by Anja Niedringhaus, November 14, 2004.)




Najaf - A dove sits on the shoulder of a Mahdi Army soldier standing guard near the ancient Imam Ali mosque. The Mahdi Army, a Shiite militia, was fighting U.S.-Iraqi forces for control of the holy city. (Photo by Khalid Mohammed, August 15, 2004.)




Baghdad - Nurse supervisor Patrick McAndrew kneels over Army Spc. Travis S. Babbit, 24, administering CPR upon arrival at the 31st Combat Support Hospital. Spc. Babbit, of Uvalde, Texas, later died of his wounds. His patrol was attacked in Baghdad by a rocket-propelled grenade and small arms fire, the Pentagon said. (Photo by John Moore, November 9, 2004.)




Fallujah - Displaced Iraqi children watch U.S. soldiers while waiting at a checkpoint before returning to their home in Fallujah. (Photo by John Moore, April 27, 2004.)


Awarded to the Associated Press Staff for its stunning series of photographs of bloody yearlong combat inside Iraqi cities.

[edit on 20/10/05 by Souljah]




posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 11:49 PM
link   
I really feel bad for the children. I wish they would just fight on a desert or something and leave people live their lives normally.

Anyways, those are nice pics.



posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Soon these types of things will be a thing of the past. With the overwheling Iraqi/Coalition victory last week on the 13th crushing the terrorists and insurgents, the terrorists wont be able to kill and maim as many kids and civilians like before.

Thanks again Soul for showing us what we are all fighting for: To stomp out the coward insurgent (read: terrorist) weasels who kill kids to further their twisted agendas.



posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Am I reading too much into things, or does anyone else notice that in all of the photos of American troops every one depicts them as either captors, under fire, wounded, or mourning their dead?

I'd hate to think that I'm suffering from radical right-wing paranoia, but I get the feeling that the Pulitzer Prize jurors were anti-war, and their Photo selection reflects that.

I guess the picture that bothered me the most was the one of the insurgents firing the mortar. It reminds me of one of those old Norman Rockwell propaganda posters from WWII. I can just see that photo in my head with Arabic writing on the bottom that reads "Let's give him enough, and on time!"


-Cypher



posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Soon these types of things will be a thing of the past. With the overwheling Iraqi/Coalition victory last week on the 13th crushing the terrorists and insurgents, the terrorists wont be able to kill and maim as many kids and civilians like before.

We all would Love to see the End of this War and the End of killing and dying. But sadly, your statement is just some fantasy delusion, which is most probably not going to become a reality. War in Iraq can not be Won. There will be everlasting Insurgency, as long as US troops are there. And they will not leave anytime soon. So the Circle is complete. The Insurgents fight becuase of the presence of Coalition Forces - the Coalition forces can not leave, because there are Insurgents in Iraq.

Where is the End?



posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Wow, some of those pics really are amazing...



posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
These are great photos. I particularly like the Action Figure one.

By the way, I told you skippy doesn't ignore. I guess he just gave up pretending after he was busted.



posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah
War in Iraq can not be Won. There will be everlasting Insurgency, as long as US troops are there. And they will not leave anytime soon. So the Circle is complete. The Insurgents fight becuase of the presence of Coalition Forces - the Coalition forces can not leave, because there are Insurgents in Iraq.

Where is the End?


Insurgencies can and have been defeated in the past.




Insurgents bombed a police station, claiming the lives of five Americans and thirty-nine civilians. Loosely organized terrorist cells plant mines, snipe at American occupation forces and assassinate mayors and officials collaborating with the occupying forces struggling to rebuild the country


Sound like present day Iraq? Well that happened in post war Germany.

People said the same thing about the NAZI insurgency in Germany after WW2 its going to be a quagmire blah,blah, blah. The Werwolfs were made up of thousands of people in Germany trained in terrorist tactics and guerilla warfare.

How quick people forget the past



posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cypher
Am I reading too much into things, or does anyone else notice that in all of the photos of American troops every one depicts them as either captors, under fire, wounded, or mourning their dead?

I'd hate to think that I'm suffering from radical right-wing paranoia, but I get the feeling that the Pulitzer Prize jurors were anti-war, and their Photo selection reflects that.

I guess the picture that bothered me the most was the one of the insurgents firing the mortar. It reminds me of one of those old Norman Rockwell propaganda posters from WWII. I can just see that photo in my head with Arabic writing on the bottom that reads "Let's give him enough, and on time!"


-Cypher


The Jurors:

- Denis Finley, managing editor, The Virginian-Pilot, Norfolk, VA (Chair)

- J. Ross Baughman, director of photography, The Washington Times

- Eric Newton, director of journalism initiatives, John S. and James L. Knight Foundation,
Miami, FL

- Larry Nylund, deputy managing editor, presentation, The Journal News, White Plains, NY

- Janet Reeves, director of photography, Rocky Mountain News, Denver, Colorado



I only know of one of them, Baughman, and he works for what is generally considered a conservative paper. He is also the only past Pulitzer prize winner on the panel.



posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by skippytjc
Soon these types of things will be a thing of the past. With the overwheling Iraqi/Coalition victory last week on the 13th crushing the terrorists and insurgents, the terrorists wont be able to kill and maim as many kids and civilians like before.

Thanks again Soul for showing us what we are all fighting for: To stomp out the coward insurgent (read: terrorist) weasels who kill kids to further their twisted agendas.



Oh..you mean the US/Allied troops wont kill any more children with random bombings/du ect.?



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
People said the same thing about the NAZI insurgency in Germany after WW2 its going to be a quagmire blah,blah, blah. The Werwolfs were made up of thousands of people in Germany trained in terrorist tactics and guerilla warfare.

And People also said the Same Thing about Guerrilla Actions of Yugoslav Partisns, which were for the German Armed Froces considered "Terrorists". They were established right after the occupation of Kingdom of Yugoslavia and were Resisting and Fighting the Enemy until they Pulled out.

Indeed - how Quickly people forget History...



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 09:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man
The Jurors:....
I only know of one of them, Baughman, and he works for what is generally considered a conservative paper. He is also the only past Pulitzer prize winner on the panel.


Thanks AMM,

I thought that I probably was reading too much into the content of the photos, but knowing how politics influences the awarding of the Nobel Peace Prize, I was concerned that maybe it was happening to the Pultizer Prize as well.

Thanks again for the info,

-Cypher



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Wow... those photos are really moving.

War is an ugly thing. The pictures represent death, mourning, sadness, fear and pain. That's what war is.

And especially this war. I think nothing good can come from it.



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think nothing good can come from it.


You don't think ousting Saddam and giving the Iraqi people a free society would be a good outcome?



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

And People also said the Same Thing about Guerrilla Actions of Yugoslav Partisns, which were for the German Armed Froces considered "Terrorists". They were established right after the occupation of Kingdom of Yugoslavia and were Resisting and Fighting the Enemy until they Pulled out.

Indeed - how Quickly people forget History...



Indeed but see I didnt make the statement that "War in Iraq can not be Won. There will be everlasting Insurgency" like you did implying that insurgencies can not be won. History proves you wrong

Infact neither did I state that insurgencies can always be defeated. So a historical fact of a insurgency lasting till the occupation force pulled out means nothing to my statement.



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Do ya reakon i should go for the award too?







Well maybe not me for the award, but my son who took these.



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
The one with the dove is very telling..thanks for posting these for us..
SUPPORT THE TROOPS



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by American Mad Man

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
I think nothing good can come from it.


You don't think ousting Saddam and giving the Iraqi people a free society would be a good outcome?


There was a time when I supported ousting Saddam, but since it has meant all the death and destruction that has come since, I have to question whether the people of Iraq are really better off now, under the occupation of the US, than with Saddam in charge.

And I haven't seen any evidence that Iraq has a free society. Would that be a good outsome? Yes, but I am not at all convinced that it will ever happen. They are not free. They are occupied by a foreign nation.

Besides, we supposedly went in there because of WMDs, to protect ourselves, not to free Iraqis. Only when there were no WMDs did the mission change to one of 'spreading freedom'.



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Nice pictures Bikereddie thanks for sharing



posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
Nice pictures Bikereddie thanks for sharing


No problem mate. Heres some more for ya...






Any chance of these winning any prizes?


[edit on 23-10-2005 by Bikereddie]



new topics

top topics



 
0
<<   2 >>

log in

join