It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Wal-Mart heiress returns degree to USC

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:42 AM
link   
One of the heirs to the Wal-Mart fortune has surrendered her university degree following revelations that she paid another student to do her coursework. Elizabeth Paige Laurie, according to officials at University of Southern California, has turned in her diploma and is no longer considered a graduate of the USC. A year ago former roommate Elena Martinez, told the news program 20/20 that she had been paid to do term paper and assignments for 3 1/2 years.

sfgate.com
Wal-Mart heiress Elizabeth Paige Laurie, accused of paying a fellow college student $20,000 to do her homework, has returned her University of Southern California degree, officials said.

The move came nearly a year after Laurie's freshman-year roommate, Elena Martinez, told the ABC newsmagazine "20/20" that she had written term papers and done assignments for the heiress for 3 1/2 years.

"Paige Laurie voluntarily has surrendered her degree and returned her diploma to the university. She is not a graduate of USC," the school said in a statement dated Sept. 30. "This concludes the university's review of the allegations concerning Ms. Laurie."

USC spokesman James Grant said Wednesday the university had no further comment.

A call seeking comment from Bill Laurie, the father of Elizabeth Paige Laurie, at his Paige Sports Entertainment company was not immediately returned. The family has repeatedly declined to comment on the cheating allegation.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I'm glad to see that this person was caught. I earned my bachelors degree the hard way and its disgusting to see somebody buy their way into things. I'm not naive to think that this is simply an isolated case and I'm sure many degree's were bought with a nice donation from mommy and daddy but still. I'm sure given the kind of money she will be getting the negative publicity is far more of a concern to her than her lack of personal ethics.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
As disgusting as it was, at least she did the right thing and returned the degree.

I think most people with that kind of money would have sued for slander to shut her up, or payed her more to keep her mouth shut.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:21 AM
link   
And you can buy a little kindness, overlook the blindness.....

Oh sheesh I always thought those heirs to fortunes were idiots, now I know......

You know now I hope the embarrassment of what she has done, smacks her in the face. I hope she understands now that you can't buy knowledge....it's priceless......

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 08:57 AM
link   
I sincerely hope that Elena Martinez has her degree stripped from her as well, as she was a willing accomplice, and this kind of thing is not tolerated in academia....

At least Laurie faced up to it and did the right thing by surrendering the degree.

EDIT: NM, I see that Martinez never earned her degree...

What an idiot, she should have simply hit Laurie up for some hush money....

[edit on 20-10-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

I sincerely hope that Elena Martinez has her degree stripped from her as well, as she was a willing accomplice, and this kind of thing is not tolerated in academia....

Exactly....she should have at least done the right thing and gone to the school administration instead of 20/20...of all people

[edit on 20/10/2005 by SportyMB]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

At least Laurie faced up to it and did the right thing by surrendering the degree.

Hmm....I dunno - I mean, technically speaking she earned two degrees....

And those of us who have been through college, or are going through college now know....You'll do just about anything for some extra money....

Was it the right thing to do? Of course not.....But her public shaming I should think is enough to compensate....

Still, she should have known better than to let herself be used that way...

[edit on 10/20/2005 by EnronOutrunHomerun]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   
They don't call a Bachelors of Science a BS for nothing.

I have been through college and finished a degree and i can say with confidence anything learned on a university campus is next to worthless. Unless you went to a top ten school. Which the name of the campus is more important that the BS contained inside.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
Still, she should have known better than to let herself be used that way...

Many 18 year old girls will do far worse for far less.

Thank God.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by scienceguy94
They don't call a Bachelors of Science a BS for nothing.

Yeah, man, that's why you gotta get your B.A.! (Bachelor of Arts)

I thought everyone knew that!

Zip

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by EnronOutrunHomerun
[And those of us who have been through college, or are going through college now know....You'll do just about anything for some extra money....

Aint that the truth esp the medical students. You should see all the crazy stuff they do for money. For $200 they will submit to a bronchoscopy (Inserting a flexible camera into your lungs) and other stuff that is mind boggling.

new topics

top topics

join