It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rennes-le-Château, what secrets did this small church hide? The mystery still persists, clues

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:52 AM
link   
Does the church hold these documents to keep the secrets that are in the documents from us? Are they secrets about religion and if so is that why the priest basically lost his mind and dabbled in the occult and when he died after giving his confession the priest he confessed to was changed forver. Anyone have more info on the clues he left behind? Sorry if this has already been posted here, I did not find doing a search.

altreligion.about.com...

Poor Berenger Sauniere probably had no idea what kind of chaos he was going to cause (or maybe it was deliberate!). In 1885, the young, educated priest was assigned to the tiny parish of Rennes-le-Château, an ancient Church reportedly dedicated to Mary Magdalen in 1059. Shortly after his arrival, while making repairs (some say he was deliberately snooping), he was to discover a set of hidden documents hidden in the ancient altar stone of the church. This was the beginning of a mystery which persists to this day.

After discovering these documents, Sauniere began a bizarre treasure hunt...the coded parchments gave up clues that led to more puzzles, ciphers, and mysteries, including hidden symbols in paintings, messages on tombstones, and more.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:52 PM
link   
interesting article. i didnt read anything in there though about him dabbling in the occult specifically...it did however mention that he used kabbalstic patterns..if that is what you are refering to.

what is this thing about him confessing to another priest? i didnt read that in there either. all though i did just wake up a 1/2 hour ago so my brain could not be all that with it as of yet lol.

Kind Regards,
DigitalGrl

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I've heard about this one for awhile. I still find it intriguing though. What is baffling is the fact that the only people to know the confession of this man is dead and there are no other documents.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Digitalgrl in reference to your question, this from the website I posted.

(The priest who administered his last rites was reported to have emerged a changed man- according to associates, he had apparently recieved some shocking information- information he never shared. Rumors circulated for years, but the answer to the many mysteries surrounding Rennes remained buried.)

Actually I did see a tv show on this where they spoke of him dabbling in the occult so thats why I said that, it did not really say how though or if it did I do not recall it. Only that after finding the hidden documents and reading them he was changed forever and that he gave the hidden documents to the church and then became wealthy with no means, many believe he was paid off by the church not to reveal what he knew, so apparently they are not destroyed they are simply stilll hidden.

At any rate for year I never thought about how if the accepted stories of religious belief system were changed with documented proof how it would change the church. For instance, many believe the documents might prove Mary Magdalene was a disciple and was actually Jesus's favorite and even that they might have eventually married, imagine how this would change the status of women within the church, how it would affect the priests not being allowed to marry and all that, something so trivial as the relationship between Mary Magdalene and Jesus being changed could bring about a great deal of change plus then make us wonder what else we have gotten wrong. So then I began to see why the church might hide such things, though please understand I think its wrong that they would hide things from anyone.

[edit on 20-10-2005 by goose]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by cheshire cat
I've heard about this one for awhile. I still find it intriguing though. What is baffling is the fact that the only people to know the confession of this man is dead and there are no other documents.

Yeah, but they didn't all die mysteriously, they (particularly the housekeeper) lived for many years. The only "baffling" thing is that there are no documents reagarding his confession.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:10 AM
link   
ok i got it now...lol thanks goose.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 12:28 PM
link   
His newfound elite visitors and friends along with his extremely unlikely newfound wealth are also unexplained. He did not get it selling trinkets.
A member of the Hapsburg family is said to have been a visitor. The mystery still persists, and unless someone who is in the know tells what happened, we may not find out.
I like the Royal Jewish Bloodline Geneology theory, which would explain the Hapsburg link, and it may also be something that would be worth paying to keep quiet, even if it wasn't a Holy Bloodline.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If any of you are truly interested in learning more about this, there is a great book called "Holy Blood, Holy Grail." The autor of the book believes that he was paid off by the church and that the Holy Grail is actually a secret that would destroy all Christian's religious beliefs. The book is a little dry, long, and difficult to read, but full of great information.

posted on Jan, 19 2006 @ 04:52 PM
link   
That was 20 years ago. There are literally hundreds of books on it now. I have read a couple dozen that directly relate to it and dozens more that tie in to the general subject of the history of all the related topics.
That was what kicked it all off for me, though, it roused my curiosity.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Keep in mind that this is a preist who sold multiple fraudulent masses to wealthy patrons, not performing most of them, double booking, etc. Thats where his money came from. His books are even on display at one of the local museums.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nygdan
Keep in mind that this is a preist who sold multiple fraudulent masses to wealthy patrons, not performing most of them, double booking, etc. Thats where his money came from. His books are even on display at one of the local museums.

Good point, Nygdan.

However, it must be noted he got a lot of cash in what can only be seen as a short period of time.

While the Magdalene figures prominently in that area of France, I believe (but can't prove) that it is related to the establishment of the Merovingian kingship and their professed connection, through the Christ, to the bloodline of David.

Have you read the Henry Lincoln's books; The Holy Place, Key to the Sacred Pattern and The templars Secret Island? They put an entirely different twist on the Rennes-le-Chateau mystery, putting aside all of the Christian postulations and concentrating on the Sacred Geometry instead.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 08:55 AM
link   
If the information I read is right, his parish, or whatever the term is was a small, and very humble one. It was out in the country, and most of the people were simple, common folk. There was no mention of lots of wealthy patrons. The only wealthy people I remember were all his new friends, from elsewhere, like Austria, and Paris. That is another unusual change that happened in his life. A smalltown priest all of a sudden is buddy buddy with the elite of society in Paris, and Royalty is stopping by his place to visit? Sure, I can see the books showing a 'legitimate' record of a very suspicious windfall. It would be expected that he would have an answer for the curious people who wondered why he was suddenly so popular and wealthy. Creative accounting? Or maybe it just happened that as soon as he took over that parish, coincidentally it became the 'in' church for the elite of western Europe. Doesn't add up to me, and I don't mean the totals in his receipts books.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII A smalltown priest all of a sudden is buddy buddy with the elite of society in Paris, and Royalty is stopping by his place to visit? Sure, I can see the books showing a 'legitimate' record of a very suspicious windfall. It would be expected that he would have an answer for the curious people who wondered why he was suddenly so popular and wealthy.

It does when you include the Merovingians and the Black nobility.

Like I mentioned to Nygdan earlier...there is nothing provable in this, but there are some tantalizing clues in the Lincoln books. That particular line of studies has nopthing to do with the RCC, btw, and everything to do with a much older 'religion'.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Why would they be keen to be his buddy? The records he had elite contacts is agreed, I ask why? He was a good salesman?

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
Why would they be keen to be his buddy? The records he had elite contacts is agreed, I ask why? He was a good salesman?

The topography of Rennes-le Chateau has, as defined by the highest mountain tops surrounding it, a natural pentagon, considered by the preChristian pagans as an earthly mirror reflection of the movements of the planet Venus, which they worshipped.

Here is a snippet concerning Sauniere which explains how the priest was financed...

from the book Key to the Sacred Pattern by Henry Lincoln St Martins Press ISBN0-312-21484-7

In 1891, Rennes-le-Chateau is a decaying, isolated and impoverished peasant hamlet, remote and difficult of access with no modern amenities.
Sauniere buys the plot of land beside his presbytery and builds a handsome villa. For Rennes-le-Chateau, it is impressive. Transfer it to the outskirts of Carcasonne, or even Limoux, and it ceases to impress. It is simply a comfortable, bourgeous family house. He builds a water tower- and every house in the village now has running water. A generous gesture- but running water is a simple amenity of civilised living. Much more money is spent in renovating the dirt track which leads up from the valley. But even this munificent gesture does not, in those days of cheap labour, require a Croesus for its funding. And for all this creation of a comfortable setting in the village, we are told that he never inhabits his newly-built villa. He continues to live in the rather more humble presbytery. The Villa Bethania is reserved for his guests.

A group of cultured and wealthy Parisians, with their own good reasons to wish to visit this secluded backwater and even better reasons to keep Sauniere in situ, provide sufficient money to ensure their own comforts and the priests accessibility. In the terms of such a group, the sums expended are by no means extravagant. Did Sauniere necessarily find a treasure? Or was he simply provided with the generous means to establish and maintain an appropriate milieu for his new and wealthy friends?

This hypothesis could also explain the strange story that the priest who had heard his deathbed confession refused to administer the Last Rites. Had Sauniere confessed to perfrming magical or, at least, heretical rituals?

page 130

As you can see, Nygdan hit the nail on the head in presenting a rich group which financed the priest. Also interesting is what is found in the exact center of the natural pentagon...a small wood hiding a spring which fills a cut stone rectangular basin measuring fifteen feet by eight or nine feet and having a depth of three feet. Co-incidence?

I'm thinking there was a connection to a group of rather non-Christian sentiments, aligned with pagan thinking and heakening to the Merovingians and their ties to modern monarchy.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 10:51 AM
link   
read all about, and looked at the diagrams of, the sacred geometry stuff. it is worth paying attention to. all i'm saying is the books were cooked, Hapsburg, and Parisian elite, were paying for more than just the view, and the masses, etc., as per the records, were not the lure that drew them to this man. The bathtub in the woods was a interesting bit, and the satan worshippers too... but what if the confession that was not granted absolution for was that he had sold the directions to the mountain in the nearby area where Jesus was buried? The book 'The Tomb of God - The Body of Jesus and the solution to a 2000 year old Mystery' by Andrews and Schellenberger proposes that one. The link below is another book, about Templars, secrets, the head, etc.,

members.lycos.co.uk...

[edit on 03 22 2005 by BlackGuardXIII]

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackGuardXIII
... but what if the confession that was not granted absolution for was that he had sold the directions to the mountain in the nearby area where Jesus was buried?

This is the direction that I have given up on...deciding that the Christian connection is an interesting, but dead end. We'll never get to the truth behind it. I'm not saying that the man known to us as Jesus Christ never lived...I'm sure that appelation became attached to a real man who really was a descendant of David and thereby part of the lineage of monarchy.

If indeed Christ had been buried in France and Sauniere had discovered the location, it would negatively impact the RCC how? Selling the location to a bunch of elites somehow seems risky. Why wouldn't that revelation have gotten out yet, since almost a century has passed since the priests' death in 1917? Somehow, I don't see that staying secret unless it is knowledge held close to the vests of some society like the PoS.

The more we get into speculating on the Christian angles of this mystery, the more shadowy and hard to define the facts become. However, Lincolns studies of the pentagonal aspects of Rennes-le-Chateau are there for every-one to see. They are facts and are related to other instances of Sacred Geometry in places like Bornholm Island. There is much more to this avenue of discovery than has previously been discussed anywhere and I think that there lies the true Templar treasure. Mathematics and the English Mile, constructions and mapmaking, secrets and sacred geometry are all Templar hallmarks. Rome was something they had to abide...a uselful alliance...they were no Christians and preferred to keep their true feelings covert.

Since you have Key to the Sacred Pattern and you are perhaps interested in pursuing Lincolns studies, I suggest getting The templars Secret Island as well, co-written with Erling Haagensen. I have a copy myself and it does contain some interesting new information.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by Nygdan

Good point, Nygdan.

However, it must be noted he got a lot of cash in what can only be seen as a short period of time.

While the Magdalene figures prominently in that area of France

What supports this statement?

, I believe (but can't prove) that it is related to the establishment of the Merovingian kingship and their professed connection, through the Christ, to the bloodline of David.

The merovingians were german invaders who claimed to be descended from a merman.

Haven't read Lincoln's book, sounds interesting.

13er
the area was not full of wealthy patrons.

Can't say that I have more information than that. It would be interesting to get some copies of these pages from his accounting-sales register.

He was a good salesman?

Well, I beleive that we know that, regardless of authenticity and what it said, he did bring something to the ecclesiastical authorities. He may have been able to make a stink with it, and that might've built the basis for his notariety.
Also possible is that the higher ups in the church were conducting a money gathering scheme and sting operation, float some word about hereticla secrets, take note of who is attracted to it and how much money they can throw at it.

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 11:39 AM
link   
CM Valhall has done a lot of work on these things too:
www.abovetopsecret.com...
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 20 2006 @ 12:02 PM
link   
'The templars Secret Island as well, co-written with Erling Haagensen.' masqua
I will look for that one, thank you for that. I have read many books on many different ideas. As an example, lets start with the books on the subject matter of a millenial old, seriously guarded, elite group who have knowledge about powerful abilities which are of a volatile nature, thereby requiring tight control, to avoid their being misunderstood, misused and causing destruction. It is first in Babylon, then Egypt, Jerusalem, up into Europe, etc. The secrecy makes them hard to track, but it is not impossible. The pyramids, Solomon's Temple, The Ark of the Covenant, Jesus, Mary Magdalene, The Merovingians, Dagobert II, The Grail, The Templars, The Shroud, The Crusades, The Gothic Cathedrals, the Templar Fleet, Robert Bruce, The Rosslyn Chapel, Sinclair and Nova Scotia, Oak Island, Rennes le Chateaux, The Masons, The US, the Royal families of Europe, the banking families, the Bilderberg meetings. the Bohemian Grove, Skull and Bones. and on and on. I have read so many books on the subjects that I get the theories mixed up sometimes. But I have an opinion on it, and it is probably wrong, but so be it. I didn't particularly notice the importance of the mt. top pentagram thing. It could be really important, of course. I find Giza, Stonehenge, Lalibella, Teotihuacan Tiahuanaco, Baalbek, Incan monoliths, and such more compelling. the designs of Washington DC, the Prometheus statue outside Riockefeller Center, JFK, etc. I might as well just list all the threads here. I see alot of the same stuff I read over the last 20 yrs.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join