It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Space Travel (Star Trek style) not possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:35 PM
link   
In my opinion..of course.

The reason I say this is because there are endless chunks of debris/meteorites/asteroids/rocks/ice/ traveling at thousands of miles per hour.

Imagine hitting one of those going warp 1, or even just a couple thousand
miles per hour. Even if you have a ship covered with extremely thick titanium plates or some super metallic shielding...with the fact that you’re moving very quickly, if a rock were to hit the ship..the ship would be utterly destroyed.

Plus..since you are moving fast..you won't even be able to see a rock the size of a house until it is too late.

True…space may be limitless and we have had satellites that went beyond our solar system…but the risk of colliding with any object at tremendous speed would be too great.

Do you think it’s possible that extraterrestrials (if there really are any) are using wormholes or space folds to travel?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:37 PM
link   
err if you have shields that can stop a Klingon torpedo, then you have have avoidence tools and materials to protect against space debris.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
yup ... deflector shields are the answer to that.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The space station (ISS) travels in some very polluted space and has yet to suffer a catastrophic failure, and the same goes for earlier space craft.

Star Trek style shields would be fantastic for everything we launch, but I get the impression that space is very vast and very empty.

Astronauts need protection from radiation more than rocks, and water would make a good barrier for that on long voyages, like to Mars.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Anyone who knows Trek knows that those ships have a deflector array which prevents the ship from running into debris at warp speed
The array works like a giant cone that sweeps the area in front of the ship clean from any debris. Something like that would be a necessity at those speeds for sure. I think if we ever do conquer interstellar travel that it will be like in battlestar galactica in that all vast distances are covered by a FTL jump from point A to point B and then standard engines for intra solar system and nearby travel.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Of course Star Trek style travel is impossible... Star Wars type though? Definitely...

Now, back on topic!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:38 PM
link   
I wouldn'd debunk anthing just yet In trekl they use Anti-matter to fuel warp engines(fantasy) Now there are on the other hand treories about anti matter. So if we ever learn how to use anti-matter then it would be possible so untill then its not possiple worm hole tech if we ever find out how to open one that might work.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:50 PM
link   
I saw a book yesterday...at a bookstore...called The Guide to Star Trek Techonology, or something like that. It answered the fundamental questions we have longed to have answered such as 'What warps during warp speed' and 'what is the difference between the holodeck and the holochamber' and others. You should look into this book. I think I too will buy it in a few days when I go back.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
I saw a book yesterday...at a bookstore...called The Guide to Star Trek Techonology, or something like that. It answered the fundamental questions we have longed to have answered such as 'What warps during warp speed' and 'what is the difference between the holodeck and the holochamber' and others. You should look into this book. I think I too will buy it in a few days when I go back.

I have that book! Its very good! I recommend it,

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:20 AM
link   
Star Trek travel is all well and good but what about the science behind the Doctor's T.A.R.D.I.S

THE 4TH DIMENSION!!!

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:27 AM
link   
I know of several Physist's who say Warp drive technology may be the only hope we have to travel the interstellar distances, if it turns out to be impossible well Slow ships are the only alternative.

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 07:48 AM
link   
i remember the next generation episode where some alien threatens to fire their lasers at the enterprise and riker (i think) says that they wouldn't even penetrate the "navigational shields".

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Of course Star Trek style travel is impossible... Star Wars type though? Definitely...

The only difference is what they call it...Warp Speed vs. Hyperspace....

Both involve the idea of bending space/time to achieve FTL travel....

Also, both Star Trek and Star Wars have deflector shields (as mentioned) for space debris, as well as defense....

posted on Oct, 26 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Whatever, Gazrok. Star Wars is still infinitely better.

[edit on 10/26/2005 by cmdrkeenkid]

top topics

join