It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Live rats driven by remote control

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Rats can be manipulated with electrodes implanted inside the brain via remote control. When electrically delivered commands are followed out, the rat feels a state of euphoria.

www.hackcanada.com
Scientists have turned living rats into remote-controlled, pleasure-driven robots which can be guided up ladders, through ruins and into minefields at the click of a laptop key.

Two electrodes lead to the parts of the rats' brains which normally detect an obstacle against their whiskers. A third plunges into an area of the brain identified as far back as the 1950s as providing the rat with a feeling of pleasure when stimulated.

Asked to speculate on potential military uses for robotic animals, Dr. Talwar agreed they could, in theory, be put to some unpleasant uses, such as assassination.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If rats can be manipulated by electrodes implanted inside the brain, then so can humans. This technology opens the path for many new potentials in the modern battle field, anything from natural animals that spy such as birds, to assassinations.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I remember last year when we figured out how to remotely control flies. This definitely trumps that.

Zip

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:01 PM
link   
Nice find to resurect an old subject.
Shades of the Terminal Man

As the result of a head injury, brilliant computer scientist Harry Benson begins to experience violent seizures. In an attempt to control the seizures, Benson undergoes a new surgical procedure in which a microcomputer is inserted into his brain. The procedure is not entirely successful.

Terminal Man 1974

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
This leads to serious ethical issues as well. If scientist can manipulate the human emotions via electrodes implanted in the brain, then how can the implanted control their own emotions?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Now, it seems like this can be a very good thing at first glance, but, it is only viewed as such by one side. There are many sides in the world, and put in the wrong hands, this can be a very dangerous weapon. Are people really ready for the ability to control animals, even other humans; are we really ready for this? And what will justify the abuse of the system? With every great technological advancement comes great responsibilty, this may not be an advancement, but it sure is dependent on deep thought and technology, and in this case, greater responsibility is required more than anything else.

Maybe some things are best left untouched by mankind. To me, this technology should only be used to scout out minefields and dangerous places for humans to go, never for assassinations or killings.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
You are right SS, but humans are curious, and selfish. We will most likely use this technology for assassinations, and spying. The potential is too great. Like you stated, some parts of science is best left alone.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Bump.

I would like to see more comments on this topic.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:11 PM
link   
I find it interesting and frighting at once
Of course, learning more about brains-rat first then human is good. It can help people medically.
It can also be used to control people, do as they want pleasure, don't and horrible pain.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Are there any reports of researchers manipulating other animal brains as well?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I oppened a thread on the same topic a couple weeks back here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

although there wasn't much interest then.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 04:31 PM
link   
VERY interesting, to say the least. kind of a creepy thought, humans being controlled in this manner.

great work LOD, i enjoy reading your news articles.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
VERY interesting, to say the least. kind of a creepy thought, humans being controlled in this manner.

great work LOD, i enjoy reading your news articles.

Why thank you very much Kit, I'll be sure to post more.

[edit on 083131p://666 by LiquidationOfDiscrepancy]

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Don't get too excited yet. Right now they are able to send an impulse to the rats whisker. This is really important to rats but would have no implications in humans. Now given rats could make great spies or be used to smuggle explosives in for assassinations but the possibility of controlling humans is still WAY into the future.

posted on Apr, 23 2006 @ 11:03 PM
link   
I mention those in my 2 page extreme bio technology over view, that you might find interesting:

www.ignoranceisntbliss.com...

[edit on 24-4-2006 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 24 2006 @ 09:13 AM
link   
Thats Pretty interesting! Another story kind of linked to the same sort of thing involves a rat's brain in a dish that can fly a flight simulator... Its pretty interesting too... take a look!

“BRAIN” IN A DISH

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 03:18 AM
link   
Here's the latest science paper on that specific project directly from DeMarse, not available on the net and hosted by yours truly:

I actually already had that linked in my Silicons + Neurons thread, but it didnt seem like you found it.

posted on Apr, 26 2006 @ 11:09 AM
link   
No, Sorry I must have missed that one... But facinating technology I think....
Thanks for the good link!!!

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Sorry, I didnt initially notice that my sig links aren't viewable in this thread. Start here:
"and see how far the rabbit hole goes".

[edit on 28-4-2006 by IgnoranceIsntBlisss]

posted on Apr, 28 2006 @ 01:43 AM
link   
I have a thread on here called hack your nervous system, they've already weaponized this technology guys, and creepily enough they don't need electrodes to do it either, a mere fluctuating EMF can have you dancing and hallucinating, and feeling as though you had been "dipped in acid". Talk about a violation of your privacy, that's your freaking nervous system for crying out loud.

[edit on 28-4-2006 by twitchy]

top topics

join