It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spain orders arrest of US troops

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I did not know where to put this but it seems as though it should belong here.

But this is a very interesting article and I remember that Spain had put an international arrest warrant out for some CIA agents. Once again Spain is trying to arrest 3 US soldiers.

Arrest warrant for 3 servicemen

A Spanish judge has issued an international arrest order for three US soldiers over the shelling of a Baghdad hotel that killed a cameraman.

I highly doubt that the US would hand over the three soldiers UNLESS there is indisputable proof that they fired on the hotel for no apparent reason.

The incident was witnessed on TV around the world on the day before the fall of the regime of Iraqi leader Saddam Hussein, as the Palestine was the base for almost all the foreign media crews in Baghdad.

I remember hearing about this, but do not remember seeing the footage. If any one can find the video of the news reports I would appreciate it.

(If this has been posted else where, please close this one Mods)

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 03:48 PM
link   
Good luck with that Spain.

Civilians die in war always have and likely always will. There is no such thing as a perfect war. This Camera man knew the risk going into a warzone.

Chance are they saw a guy with a large object on his shoulder pointed at them, Thought it was some type of anti-tank missile and defended themselves. Sadly accidents happen in war.

I remember hearing of a Iraqie military aged male that was killed by US troops for brandishing what turned out later to be a gun shaped lighter.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:33 PM
link   
The US will never hand them to the Spanish authorities, so it doesn't really mean much. But I believe the soldiers did wrong by shooting at a known hotel where they knew journalists were being housed.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Things like this happen, its tragic but it was at a time when the enemy could have been anywhere, including a hotel full of journalists.
Accidents happen and nothing will come of this.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I know nothing will come of it, but I found it interesting that Spain is going to waste their time to do this sort of thing.

I find it odd actually.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
yeah....lol...let them enforce that!!!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I know nothing will come of it, but I found it interesting that Spain is going to waste their time to do this sort of thing.

I find it odd actually.

I don't think it’s odd at all, its an empty threat. I guess it makes Spain feel better by issuing a ridicules arrest order that will never go anywhere.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:21 AM
link   
I guess when you're under the American Flag, you're above the law right? even the International Law. For example, If Abu Ghraib Scandal case didn't have such indisputable proof such as photos and accounts, do you think the soldiers that committed the crime will be punished? I don't think so.

Though, whatever ANYONE does, the U.S troops there are UNTOUCHABLEs. Only U.S Authorities themselves have the right to punish them.

No wonder U.S has a high frequency of immigration in the world. U.S will protect you.

Live the American dream.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackBeard
I remember hearing about this, but do not remember seeing the footage. If any one can find the video of the news reports I would appreciate it.

I posted footage of the tank shelling in the following thread:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
If you watch the footage it was a delibaerate attack on the hotel. No gunfire comes from the direction of the hotel, instead a tank leasurely turns its cannon onto a hotel and fires.

The morons responsible should be arrested, and then the whole US army should be trained to shoot at threats, not journalists.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 03:38 AM
link   
yeah sure, it will happen, just like with those USAF pilots that killed what, 20+ people in the Italian mountains while flying under mountain lift cables
Yeehaaaw, go cowboys !

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Uncle Joe
If you watch the footage it was a delibaerate attack on the hotel. No gunfire comes from the direction of the hotel, instead a tank leasurely turns its cannon onto a hotel and fires.

you cant see, fire was coming from an angle behind the area of the hotel, that a-10 wasnt firing over there for nothing you know, the video shows 2 rounds in that direction and the second was just fired too high, not intent plus i doubt the shooter could see that far nor is a tank round accurate enough to directly target a person like you imply.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:26 AM
link   
QUOTE : " international arrest warrant "

does it really matter if the US hands them over or not ? this warrant has the potential to be a thron in the mens sides for a very long time

as according to my understanding - the warrant is a open ended request to EVERY country that has favourable relations with spain and has signed an mutal extradition treaty to arrest the persons and hold them untill the spanish make the correct extradition request [ courts can ad do occasionaly refuse the warrant for various reasons ] but the person is nearly always arrested

there are legitmate grounds for refusing to extridite persons to certain countries or refusing to recognise that an alledged "crime "is grounds for arrest

but if the US will not comply with this warrant - any other nation who feels like scoring points could refuse to honour US requests

thus judical chaos ensues

PS - why are there 3 warrants - surely only the gunner and tank commander would be " in the frame "

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   

The morons responsible should be arrested, and then the whole US army should be trained to shoot at threats, not journalists.

I have seen the footage also and I totally agree with you.
Here is a website with lots of documentaries and shows you can view online and you can view excerpts fo the documetary about this, its called Hotel Palestine Killing the Witness.
www.peaceandjustice.it...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
Germany and Italy had similar Warrents for the US Soldiers AND for CIA officers - what happened?

N O T H I N G !

I guess Above the Law is not just some Bad Steven Segal Movie...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:08 AM
link   

I guess Above the Law is not just some Bad Steven Segal Movie...

Theres a bad Steven Segal movie? Now my faith in the US is shattered.

Ape you want to arrest all three simply because the other is an accsessory to the crime, since he could easily have prevented it. Having said that dont US tanks have five crewmen?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   

Theres a bad Steven Segal movie? Now my faith in the US is shattered.

I know - I have seen it.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   
Thanks for the video footage Ace, appreciate it. I will have to look at it later on today.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
i seen the video and in hostile situations wat does the camera look like to u while in a confined small space tank with narrow vision? wat does a man look like with a camera on a balcony from afar? why only arrest warrants for 3 men wen there are 4 men in a crew of a tank? why only one shot. tanks got dozens of rounds each. why not pump more rounds in the hotel if intentionally? i see in the beginning of Iraqi fighters trying to get away from American fire as well. makes u wonder......

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   
Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't believe the US has signed the treaty which would allow it soldiers to be tried under the UN or any other country for that matter, so once again it's a ridicules arrest order.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join