It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Footage shows US troops burning Taliban corpses in Afghanistan

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 06:47 AM
link   
But if they are dead then does it apply? The passages you have quoted make no inference if the person is dead.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
But if they are dead then does it apply? The passages you have quoted make no inference if the person is dead.

Ok, here you go:

SECTION III

DEATH OF PRISONERS OF WAR

Article 120

The burial or cremation of a prisoner of war shall be preceded by a medical examination of the body with a view to confirming death and enabling a report to be made and, where necessary, establishing identity.

The detaining authorities shall ensure that prisoners of war who have died in captivity are honourably buried, if possible according to the rites of the religion to which they belonged, and that their graves are respected, suitably maintained and marked so as to be found at any time. Wherever possible, deceased prisoners of war who depended on the same Power shall be interred in the same place.

Deceased prisoners of war shall be buried in individual graves unless unavoidable circumstances require the use of collective graves. Bodies may be cremated only for imperative reasons of hygiene, on account of the religion of the deceased or in accordance with his express wish to this effect. In case of cremation, the fact shall be stated and the reasons given in the death certificate of the deceased.

In order that graves may always be found, all particulars of burials and graves shall be recorded with a Graves Registration Service established by the Detaining Power. Lists of graves and particulars of the prisoners of war interred in cemeteries and elsewhere shall be transmitted to the Power on which such prisoners of war depended. Responsibility for the care of these graves and for records of any subsequent moves of the bodies shall rest on the Power controlling the territory, if a Party to the present Convention. These provisions shall also apply to the ashes, which shall be kept by the Graves Registration Service until proper disposal thereof in accordance with the wishes of the home country.

www.unhchr.ch...

If they had time to watch it burn and take picture I am sure they could find the time to Bury them Honourably. But I guess the Taliban do not Deserve that Right.

[edit on 20/10/05 by Souljah]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   
Originally posted by Souljah

SECTION III

DEATH OF PRISONERS OF WAR

Article 120

The burial or cremation of a prisoner of war shall be preceded by a medical examination of the body with a view to confirming death and enabling a report to be made and, where necessary, establishing identity.

cremation of the body...now there is something to think about.

The detaining authorities shall ensure that prisoners of war who have died in captivity are honourably buried, if possible according to the rites of the religion to which they belonged, and that their graves are respected, suitably maintained and marked so as to be found at any time. Wherever possible, deceased prisoners of war who depended on the same Power shall be interred in the same place.

if possible to bury.....which means if the soldiers dont have shovels and is exposed to attack then u can burn the bodies faster and move on to hunt down more Taliban. i sure wouldnt spend my time burying unclaimed bodies with my bare hands.

Deceased prisoners of war shall be buried in individual graves unless unavoidable circumstances require the use of collective graves. Bodies may be cremated only for imperative reasons of hygiene, on account of the religion of the deceased or in accordance with his express wish to this effect. In case of cremation, the fact shall be stated and the reasons given in the death certificate of the deceased.

again the bodies may be cremated only for imperative reasons of hygiene, we have seen during the civil war in the U.S. for example to burn the bodies to prevent possible disease and smell.

In order that graves may always be found, all particulars of burials and graves shall be recorded with a Graves Registration Service established by the Detaining Power. Lists of graves and particulars of the prisoners of war interred in cemeteries and elsewhere shall be transmitted to the Power on which such prisoners of war depended. Responsibility for the care of these graves and for records of any subsequent moves of the bodies shall rest on the Power controlling the territory, if a Party to the present Convention. These provisions shall also apply to the ashes, which shall be kept by the Graves Registration Service until proper disposal thereof in accordance with the wishes of the home country.

of course the U.S. will be responsible to notify the people as to where the Taliban fighters ashes are.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
cremation of the body...now there is something to think about.

You mean cremation by a Flamethrower, right?

if possible to bury.....which means if the soldiers dont have shovels and is exposed to attack then u can burn the bodies faster and move on to hunt down more Taliban. i sure wouldnt spend my time burying unclaimed bodies with my bare hands.

IF they had time to BURN the Body and then Watch it burn, they could have TIME to bury it Honourably. But that was not the case. I am sure time was something they got plenty. As Westpoint said before - I think this was one of the "Piss them off" Tactics. And I am sure that they left many Taliban corpses laying where they droped dead and did not move them, bury them or burn them.

again the bodies may be cremated only for imperative reasons of hygiene, we have seen during the civil war in the U.S. for example to burn the bodies to prevent possible disease and smell.

What is this? The 19th Century? Is this the Middle Ages that the bodies are Burned? What diseases? Are the US troops going to Camp now on this terroritry where they killed and burned these men?

You are not making any sense...

of course the U.S. will be responsible to notify the people as to where the Taliban fighters ashes are.

I am sure they do that on regular basis.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
US forces launched an assualt a week or two after that and killed 600 people in retaliation so obviously US forces don't like having their dead mutilated so why do it to the enemy?

People? I don't think so. Long before the Marines went into Fallujah (the town you are referring to) they dropped leaflets to tell the people that they were coming in and whoever was left in the town was INSURGENTS that only wanted to kill Marines. So they were combatants and nothing more.

They fired on us, we fired back. Don't like it? Does that make you mad that the Marines killed the enemy?

The US is now investigating this burning of the bodies by soldiers of the 173rd. I still would like to see cold hard proof with video and sound to hear the bullhorn.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

You mean cremation by a Flamethrower, right?

flamethrower u wish.

IF they had time to BURN the Body and then Watch it burn, they could have TIME to bury it Honourably. But that was not the case. I am sure time was something they got plenty. As Westpoint said before - I think this was one of the "Piss them off" Tactics. And I am sure that they left many Taliban corpses laying where they droped dead and did not move them, bury them or burn them.

i also mention if they dont have shovels wat do u do then? how long does it take to buried the bodies with yer bare hands? dink about it.

What is this? The 19th Century? Is this the Middle Ages that the bodies are Burned? What diseases? Are the US troops going to Camp now on this terroritry where they killed and burned these men?

wat country were the bodies buried eh? Afghanistan which is one of the pooriest nations on earth. no medical facilities. bury bodies or leave bodies near villages. im sure the Afghans would complain. would u complain if sombody bury an unwanted body near yer backyard?

You are not making any sense...
too bad for u

I am sure they do that on regular basis.

possibly

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Cremation is an act offensive to Muslims and a possible breach of the Geneva Conventions governing the treatment of enemy remains in wartime.

It should be kept in mind, that in order for the Geneva Convention to be applicable, the combatants must act in a certain manner also consitent with the definitions of "enemy combatant" laid out in the convention....even if not a signee of the document.

Not commenting on the other much, just thought I'd mention this point....

It's pretty hard to win the hearts and minds of the people if you continually stomp on their beliefs though....

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Most of you people especially the US haters that not ALL of us Americans stomp on the beliefs of Muslims nor believe in some of the things that FEW soldiers do over there.

If the Military finds credible evidence that this burning is in fact true then they will be punished. Especially if there is video footage of the act.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Now here is something New:

WASHINGTON, Oct. 19 - The Pentagon announced Wednesday night that the Army had started a criminal investigation into allegations that American soldiers in Afghanistan had burned the bodies of two dead Taliban fighters and then used the charred and smoking corpses in a propaganda campaign against the insurgents.

The events were shown on an Australian television program, broadcast there on Wednesday night, depicting what is described as an American psychological operations team broadcasting taunts over a loudspeaker toward a village thought to be harboring Taliban fighters and sympathizers, according to a transcript of the program.

According to the program's translation of the taunts, which were delivered in the local language by American forces on the scene, a soldier identified as Sgt. Jim Baker, said: "You allowed your fighters to be laid down facing west and burned. You are too scared to come down and retrieve the bodies. This just proves you are the lady boys we always believed you to be."

Source:
New York Times

Well, well, well.

A propaganda Campaign?

Taunts over a Loudspeaker?

Threats and Insults?

Now that is something different then just "burning the bodies" of two Taliban fighters - in order to "make sure there are no diseases" as some members here claimed it is.

Tell me, did Sgt. Jim Baker BREAK Numerous Geneva Convention Laws or NOT?

[edit on 20/10/05 by Souljah]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

WASHINGTON, Oct. 19 - The Pentagon announced Wednesday night that the Army had started a criminal investigation into allegations that American soldiers in Afghanistan had burned the bodies of two dead Taliban fighters and then used the charred and smoking corpses in a propaganda campaign against the insurgents.

why not take the advantage of the charred bodies and used it for propaganda? if u have some dead Taliban fighters around, might as well use them for psychological war.

According to the program's translation of the taunts, which were delivered in the local language by American forces on the scene, a soldier identified as Sgt. Jim Baker, said: "You allowed your fighters to be laid down facing west and burned. You are too scared to come down and retrieve the bodies. This just proves you are the lady boys we always believed you to be."

agreed with him. why dont the Taliban come back to retreived the bodies. the American soldiers have done dat in the past. remember Operation Anaconda where one soldier who was navy SEAL was left behind and the soldiers came back to get him which left many soldiers dead just for one dead American soldier corpse. i would do the same to get the Taliban into a trap, but then they really dont give a dam about their own Muslim brothers who die as a martyr do they?

[edit on 20-10-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:06 AM
link   

why not take the advantage of the charred bodies and used it for propaganda? if u have some dead Taliban fighters around, might as well use them for psychological war.

I can't believe you said that. Don't you have no shame or decency?

If there was a BATS award here on ATS, you'd sure got my vote.

I'm very sad and dissapointed.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:17 AM
link   
More PC--political correctness

yanchek, deltaboy is saying nothing remotely unbelieveable or outrageous, being he is simply saying what what the New York Times article mentioned, linked by Souljah.

seekerof

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Why not indeed!

Pour some Gasoline on them, light them up and watch them burn - not for a "ceremonial burial" but for your own Sinister Propaganda Purproses?

Sure, why not! Might as well do that, since they are nothing but A-rabs, right?

They are not civilized anyway, look what kind of country they live in!

Please...

agreed with him. why dont the Taliban come back to retreived the bodies. the American soldiers have done dat in the past. remember Operation Anaconda where one soldier who was navy SEAL was left behind and the soldiers came back to get him which left many soldiers dead just for one dead American soldier corpse. i would do the same to get the Taliban into a trap, but then they really dont give a dam about their own Muslim brothers who die as a martyr do they?

You agree with him?

You agree with threats and insults upon the civilan population?

The frurstated US troops can't find the Talibans, and they use every dirt trick in the book - including using burning and charred bodies? Doesn't that make them the Same or Worse then the Enemy they are supposed to be fighting?

What "Civilized" Approach to solve things...

I bet that all Afgan people are really pleased when reading this news right now and watch out - the next charred corpses that might be found, could the be one of US soldiers...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
From some of these posts I can tell that there is ALOT of hatred. no wonder why there is war. It's a shame really.

If in fact this was soldiers that did then they will be punished, regardless of what you (Souljah) or anyone else thinks. So until they are punished there really is nothing more to say about it.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Who really cares. After watching burning people jump from the Trade Center to end their lives, I have little sympathy for the animals in Afganistan. Maybe instead of burning them when their dead we can crucify them them instead..............

Yes I still have anger towards them because I'm still haunted by the images I saw that day.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by ferretman
Who really cares. After watching burning people jump from the Trade Center to end their lives, I have little sympathy for the animals in Afganistan. Maybe instead of burning them when their dead we can crucify them them instead..............

Too bad the Hijackers of the 9-11 were Saudi Arabian.

As is Osama.

See any US Soldiers burning bodies in Sudi Arabia?

Or do you see your president holding hands with Saudi prince?

Hmmmmmmmmmmm...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackBeard
People? I don't think so. Long before the Marines went into Fallujah (the town you are referring to) they dropped leaflets to tell the people that they were coming in and whoever was left in the town was INSURGENTS that only wanted to kill Marines. So they were combatants and nothing more.

I'm talking about the April 2004 assault on Fallujah, not the November 2004 assault.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:28 AM
link   

You agree with him?

You agree with threats and insults upon the civilan population?

now u are way out of hand. i say against the Taliban as the soldier has been taunting the Taliban not the Afghan civilians and u in return use my words to go against the Afghan population. dats really the worse u can do against me?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 11:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
I'm talking about the April 2004 assault on Fallujah, not the November 2004 assault.

Oh, you mean when we pulled out so PEACEFUL negotiations can begin to end the insurgency? Show me a link stating that we killed 600 people in two weeks of fighting in April.

I am curious to know.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackBeard Show me a link stating that we killed 600 people in two weeks of fighting in April.

I am curious to know.

Ok that's not a problem.

USA Today

Asked about the report of 600 dead, Marine Lt. Col. Brennan Byrne said: "What I think you will find is 95% of those were military age males that were killed in the fighting."

"The Marines are trained to be precise in their firepower .... The fact that there are 600 goes back to the fact that the Marines are very good at what they do," he said.

A football field has been turned into a makeshift cemetery
BBC

Grim tally ... a Sunni Muslim, Mohammed Ahmad Ali, walks among some of the 125 graves in a Falluja soccer field that has been hastily converted into a cemetery. Photo: AFP/Karim Sahib
smh.com.au

The Christian Science Monitor reports that there were 700 killed.
Siege of Fallujah polarizing Iraqis

[edit on 20-10-2005 by AceOfBase]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join