It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Bono And Bush To "Chew The Fat" Over Lunch At The White House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   
Spokesman for George Bush, Scott McClellan has announced that Bono has been invited to lunch today with the President as a follow-up to a July summit meeting of industrialised nations in Gleneagles, Scotland. Following the lunch date Bono is to meet with National Security Advisor Stephen Hadley, before continuing to a Washington concert where U2 is to play. According to Mr McClellan, Bush and Bono both share a commitment to combating Malaria and AIDS and common interests in trade expansions.

www.news.com.au
"They had a very good discussion about some of our common priorities. Both share a deep commitment to combating AIDS, preventing malaria, and expanding trade to lift people out of poverty," said Mr McClellan.

The singer was also to meet with White House National Security Adviser Stephen Hadley later in the day before U2 play a concert in Washington as part of their latest world tour.

"At this time, the president is not planning on attending the concert tonight, but if there's any change, we'll keep you posted," Mr McClellan quipped.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The singer and the king. If walls had ears.......
Bono is a powerful figure on the world stage today. Untouchable by the masses but dinner partners with presidents. His voice is heard are heard by many an impressionable person.

National Security Advisors do not usually talk to anyone, except Presidents.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by Mayet]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Hmm... Definatly interesting. Sort of reminds me of when Nixon had a special meeting with Elvis. Either way I hope that the two of them are able to work out a plan to jointly combat malaria and AIDS. It would be good to see the President of the US working with a great musician to work towards a good cause.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Bono?

So wait...we have people, who know much more about this subject or we have an ageing rock star trying to boost his sales? Odd that...

Being as I work for a music shop, U2 has planned to re-market their albums, 18months prior to "Live-8" and had it all set up to magically happen just after that. Oh, shock, horror!

As well as the IPod Deal they had going and the other such deals they had to line their own pocket.

What a crock of #...to be honest, maybe Bush should just begin to have dinner with experts on the issue?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
I wouldn't show that headline to the White House chef!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I know this is a little off topic, but as I recently learned the origin of the phrase, thought I'd share it...

"Bringing Home the Bacon" - in Medieval times, having bacon hanging up by the hearth was a sign of wealth. Often, people would invite over guests and cut off pieces to serve to guests and gossip, hence the term "chewing the fat"...

Channelling of Cliff Clavin completed...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Can you imagine this happening a year ago?
What a lame attempt at trying to show concern and get the poll numbers up and sell CDs.

I can just hear the main stream media now; The president and Bono form a duet to aleviate the worlds' problem.

Never cared to much for u2 and even less for W and his band of thieves.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Wasn't Bono in the running to be the next leader of the World Bank? If so, then it comes as no suprise that he is "chewing the fat" with the pres. After all, thier strings are pulled by the same people.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
HAHAHAHAHAHA. George Bush and Bono both have the same goals of stopping AIDS?? The US government created and distributed AIDS for Gods sakes. Bono makes a really good frontman for portraying the illusion the the public when they both probably believe on the contrary. Of course anyone believes what Bono says, he's an Irish dude and people think he's had it hard through IRA wars, and by created stupid preaching crap like 'it's a beautiful day' and other melodic drowning songs.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:48 PM
link   

Across the field you see the sky ripped open
See the rain through a gaping wound
Pounding on the women and children
Who run into the arms of America
U2 - Bullet The Blue Sky

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Just to play the opposite side of this argument for a moment, it is fairly well known that Bono has been a major activist regarding various world affairs, most notably, poverty, disease prevention, and anti-war. On one hand, you could think of it this way, with the popularity of U2, the band backing a world leader could help with support for that leader. On the other hand, you could look as it as a publicity stunt by a president who's suffering the lowest approval rating of any US president, who is trying to connect with a younger (and subsequently louder) portion of the US population.

Whatever the reasons may be, I don't think it'll be all bad. At the very least, it may help to raise public awareness of these issues, especially with the MTV generation.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Bono meets them all, nothing new. Met Bush before this event too.

external image
Bubba

Chirac

Pooty and Blair

Mandela

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Posted by: Odium
Bono?

So wait...we have people, who know much more about this subject or we have an ageing rock star trying to boost his sales? Odd that...

Being as I work for a music shop, U2 has planned to re-market their albums, 18months prior to "Live-8" and had it all set up to magically happen just after that. Oh, shock, horror!

As well as the IPod Deal they had going and the other such deals they had to line their own pocket.

What a crock of #...to be honest, maybe Bush should just begin to have dinner with experts on the issue?

Why is that people like you always have to seek a negative interpretation of things? Negativity like this is what makes the world a dark place, come on, let some light into your life, and appreciate the good intentions people have. Who are you to know Bono's motivations? Can you read his mind?

Please, the world doesn't become a better place with people criticizing when they have no facts, no knowledge to back up their criticism.

Oh I forgot, you work for a music shop, so you are the great wise music expert who knows the motivations of all rock stars

Yeah, Bono is a rock star, not a scientist, so should that prohibit him from trying to promote malaria and AIDS awareness? You better become the new president if you want to pass that law

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by sugeshotcha
HAHAHAHAHAHA. George Bush and Bono both have the same goals of stopping AIDS?? The US government created and distributed AIDS for Gods sakes. Bono makes a really good frontman for portraying the illusion the the public when they both probably believe on the contrary. Of course anyone believes what Bono says, he's an Irish dude and people think he's had it hard through IRA wars, and by created stupid preaching crap like 'it's a beautiful day' and other melodic drowning songs.

Great, another mind reader who knows what motivates Bono, cool, can you set up a mind reader course maybe?

The day that you will understand Bono's lyrics, that will truely be a beautiful day

What you don't have you don't need it now.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:45 PM
link   
Geez...after all those photos I am waiting for someone to say Bono's the antichrist........

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   

www.time.com...
"I refused to meet him at first," says Treasury Secretary Paul O'Neill, who last year joined Pope John Paul II, Bill Clinton, Jean Chretien, George Soros, Jesse Helms and Colin Powell on Bono's all-star chat list. "I thought he was just some pop star who wanted to use me." After their scheduled half-hour session went 90 min., O'Neill changed his mind. "He's a serious person. He cares deeply about these issues, and you know what? He knows a lot about them."

This is one of the people who actually met Bono, so he is better able to form an opinion than some who posted in this thread.

If you have no knowledge about something, it is wiser to not say anything about it

[edit on 19-10-2005 by space_friend12]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mayet
Geez...after all those photos I am waiting for someone to say Bono's the antichrist........

They need to listen to Joshua Tree then and rethink that nonsense.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:28 AM
link   
i think bono, like the stones and the beatles, is a tool of the illuminati.
i hate to say it, because i think early u2 was great, very political, poetic and poignant. i don't know. maybe he's a really good guy.

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 01:23 PM
link   
" PSST, WHERE THE DEVIL IS THE EXORCIST MEETING"
Not sure if I am posting this right but here goes...
A Vatican university ( Regina Apostolrium -Rome) for the second year is offering courses for their priests on how to perform an exorcism. I find this a little unsettling as apparantly there is increasingly a high demand for these exorcisms throughout Italy. I am a new member and not sure how to paste this article below from msnbc.news. Here is the link for the article.
http:/www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9339590/.
I was wondering if anyone had noticed this and what are you views. I will try to learn how to cut and paste properly for next time . Hope this finds its way to where it is supposed to go.Please have mercy on new member. Wanted to contribute

new topics

top topics

join