It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA in turmoil, how would that affect the war on terrorism?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:24 AM
link   
www.msnbc.msn.com...

When Porter J. Goss took over a failure-stained CIA last year, he promised to reshape the agency beginning with the area he knew best: its famed spy division.

Goss, himself a former covert operative who had chaired the House intelligence committee, focused on the officers in the field. He pledged status and resources for case officers, sending hundreds more to far-off assignments, undercover and on the front line of the battle against al Qaeda.

A year later, Goss is at loggerheads with the clandestine service he sought to embrace. At least a dozen senior officials -- several of whom were promoted under Goss -- have resigned, retired early or requested reassignment. The directorate's second-in-command walked out of Langley last month and then told senators in a closed-door hearing that he had lost confidence in Goss's leadership.

The turmoil has left some employees shaken and has prompted former colleagues in Congress to question how Goss intends to improve the agency's capabilities and restore morale. The White House is aware of the problems, administration officials said, and believes they are being handled by the director of national intelligence, who now oversees the agency.

i approve the reforms and other changes in the CIA. they are an embarrassment. they dont act like a clandestine agency and we have seen in the past of their actions that have embarrassed many presidents and shock the American people and the world how amatuerish the CIA is. the KGB is far better than dis.
the CIA is more acting like the NSA which they using satellites or electronic intercepts than sending operatives in the field to see for themselves if the info is solid A (which means really reliable), they need to recruit agents as well because of culture differences that needs to be bridge and languages that the CIA cannot train agents to overcome in rapid pace. those CIA officers are just people who are afraid of change and cant get off their sits just lookin at the computer and hope there is info just from the websites mostly Islamic websites. satellites dont tell crap as to wat the terrorists are talking and thinking about. it just show stuff. no doubt i approve the changes in the CIA. if those people who resign because they dont like the changes, they can also go back to the Cold war books and dream about how they defeat the Soviets.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
Wow, deltaboy sure is a smart one.

First: Sometimes leaks and embarrassments have to be made to shut down dangerous covert operations. Some guys just feel that they can play God since they are covert. Sometimes you need to expose their fun and games to shut them down.

Second:CIA uses HUMINT,SIGINT AND SATINT. They aren't lazy. there is just so much to do that sometimes you can handle things better by doing nothing until the picture becomes clearer. FALSE INTEL or WHITE NOISE is a major problem. It backs-up analysis for months.

Third: HUMINT CAN BE THE MOST DEVASTATING. Sometimes you can't believe your eyes, no matter how bad you want to. The bad guys[as opposed to the good guys], whoever they are,I can't tell em apart; are paranoid and not easily fooled. Voice stress analysis isn't even effective because agents are given false info in case they are squeezed.

Fourthly: The CIA did win the cold war against Russia. The war never made the news. It happened from 1980 thru 1993 in Afghanistan. Gust Avrakotos was the CIA man that beat the soviets all by his self.

Finally: AL Qaeda is all in your mind. You never heard of it before 9/11/01.
By 9/12/01 everybody hated that boogyman. You critize CIA and yet you buy into the AL Qaeda story so easily. Who is Tim Osman, genius?

Welcome to ATS! You may want to review the following to make your stay here a little more enjoyable.

Mod Note: Terms & Conditions Of Use – Please Review This Link.

Mod Note: WOT Posting Conduct – Please Review Link.

Mod Note: General ATS Discussion Etiquette – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 24/10/2005 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy

The CIA is more acting like the NSA which they using satellites or electronic intercepts than sending operatives in the field to see for themselves if the info is solid A (which means really reliable)

[edit on 19-10-2005 by deltaboy]

Sometimes they can't send agents into the field due to danger or because they don't know where to go. However, I won't deny that the CIA is in need of reform.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by shot messenger

First: Sometimes leaks and embarrassments have to be made to shut down dangerous covert operations. Some guys just feel that they can play God since they are covert. Sometimes you need to expose their fun and games to shut them down.

u mean like the leaking of Wilson's wife right? im sure u support dat.

Second:CIA uses HUMINT,SIGINT AND SATINT. They aren't lazy. there is just so much to do that sometimes you can handle things better by doing nothing until the picture becomes clearer. FALSE INTEL or WHITE NOISE is a major problem. It backs-up analysis for months.

u can just look at recent problems like for example using old maps during the Kosovo war back in 99 dat resulted in the bombing of the Chinese embassy. old maps? they lazy to just order some new maps?

Third: HUMINT CAN BE THE MOST DEVASTATING. Sometimes you can't believe your eyes, no matter how bad you want to. The bad guys[as opposed to the good guys], whoever they are,I can't tell em apart; are paranoid and not easily fooled. Voice stress analysis isn't even effective because agents are given false info in case they are squeezed.

true dat foreign agents are unreliable but its alot better than depending on satellites.

Fourthly: The CIA did win the cold war against Russia. The war never made the news. It happened from 1980 thru 1993 in Afghanistan. Gust Avrakotos was the CIA man that beat the soviets all by his self.

did they? maybe u should see wat happened in the 90s where reforms was demanded.

Finally: AL Qaeda is all in your mind. You never heard of it before 9/11/01.
By 9/12/01 everybody hated that boogyman. You critize CIA and yet you buy into the AL Qaeda story so easily. Who is Tim Osman, genius?

Al Qaeda is in my mind u say? i never heard of it before 9/11 u say? u dink i was just born now buddy? i buy the Al Qaeda story from Osama himself buddy.

posted on Oct, 24 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by shot messenger
Wow, deltaboy sure is a smart one.
Who is Tim Osman, genius?

Hey, genius, you are aware that you're going to get warned if you keep abusing members right?

top topics

join