It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Yorkshire Ripper Hoaxer Arrested?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:56 AM
link   
UK police have arrested a man suspected of being behind the creation of letters and an audio tape, containing a male voice, claiming to be the Yorkshire Ripper. The tapes were sent to the investigating force at the time of the attacks but turned out to be fake.

news.bbc.co.uk
A man is continuing to be questioned in connection with hoax letters and a tape sent to police during the hunt for the Yorkshire Ripper nearly 30 years ago.

Detectives from West Yorkshire travelled to Sunderland on Tuesday to arrest the 49-year-old man on suspicion of perverting the course of justice.

The material led police to switch their attention away from the hunt for the real killer, Peter Sutcliffe.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

The hoax material has always been most puzzling. Some of the contents appeared to have come from someone who had an intimate knowledge of the events which led police to believe that they did indeed come from the 'Ripper' himself.

If this suspect does indeed turn out to be 'Wearside Jack', then his identity may come as something as a bombshell. It has long been speculated that the perpetrator could, in fact, be a former/serving police officer who perhaps held a grudge against the lead officer on the case, George Oldfield.

How anyone could do such a thing is beyond me, as the 'Ripper' went on to carry out further attacks which many people believe could have been prevented had this person not decided to throw the police a red herring.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by KhieuSamphan]

[edit on 21-10-2005 by asala]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I've just found this site whereby they claim that Sutcliffe only carried out 4 of the known attacks and tha 'Wearside Jack' was the main culprit -

Link

Peter Sutcliffe was the Copy-Cat Ripper, responsible for only four of the thirteen murders which he 'confessed' to. He had been eliminated twelve times by the police because he was blood group O... the Ripper was known to be blood group B.

The police knew that two men were involved in the bizarre series of murders, but tactical blunders made it expedient to make a deal with the Copy-Cat killer, who was offered ten years in a luxury mental home for his 'confessions' to everything, by a police force desperate to close the file.

After all these years, the Real Ripper, far from being a hoaxer who wrote mockingly to the police in order to implicate the Copy-Cat, is still free in the U.K.

Wow...this is a new angle that I had neither heard of nor really considered.

The man responsible for this Preston murder, and fourteen more mainly in the North of England is still free in the United Kingdom and is identified in this book as Billy Tracey, as are the police responsible for this gross criminal negligence.

I wonder if the guy who has been arrested is this Billy Tracey?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:54 AM
link   
What the heck is the Yorkshire Ripper?

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 07:02 PM
link   
the yorkshire ripper was a serial killer called Peter Sutcliffe he terrified women in Yorkshire in the 1970s killing alot of women, more about this guy
link

But in relation to this story i think its great that the caught thim man who hoaxed those letters and tape all them years ago, due to this hoaxer 3 women where killed as Peter Sutcliffe was questioned and released due to them thinking they where looking for a different man, there main lead was the sound of the voice on the tapes,

new topics

top topics

join