It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Wilma now strongest Atlantic Hurricane Ever!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Hurricane Wilma has undergone a rapid intensification phase and shattered previous records of intensification and with an extrapolated pressure of 884mb it is the strongest hurricane ever in the Atlantic basin. Gilbert previously held the record with a pressure of 888mb. Wilma has dropped 86mb in about 12 hours, a mind boggling new record. The winds are estimated to be sustained at 175mph with gusts over 200mph.

www.nhc.noaa.gov
IN ADDITION TO THE SPECTACULAR CLOUD PATTERN OBSERVED ON SATELLITE
...AN AIR FORCE RECONNAISSANCE PLANE MEASURED 168 KNOTS AT 700 MB
AND ESTIMATED A MINIMUM PRESSURE OF 884 MB EXTRAPOLATED FROM 700MB.
UNOFFICIALLY...THE METEOROLOGIST ON BOARD THE PLANE RELAYED AN
EXTRAPOLATED 881 MB PRESSURE AND MEASURED 884 MB WITH A DROPSONDE.
THIS IS ALL IN ASSOCIATION WITH A VERY SMALL EYE THAT HAS BEEN
OSCILLATING BETWEEN 2 AND 4 N MI DURING EYE PENETRATIONS. THIS IS
PROBABLY THE LOWEST MINIMUM PRESSURE EVER OBSERVED IN THE ATLANTIC
BASIN AND IS FOLLOWED BY THE 888 MB MINIMUM PRESSURE ASSOCIATED
WITH HURRICANE GILBERT IN 1988.

IN SUMMARY...THE OFFICIAL FORECAST BRINGS THE CORE OF THIS
CATASTROPHIC HURRICANE NORTHWARD THROUGH THE YUCATAN CHANNEL AND
THEN SHARPLY TURNS A WEAKER HURRICANE TO THE NORTHEAST TOWARD
FLORIDA WITH AN INCREASE IN FORWARD SPEED. NO CHANGE IN WARNINGS
OR WATCHES IS REQUIRED AT THIS TIME.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is just amazing. The experts say it is at peak intensity right now and what storm it is. At least this is a small storm with a small windfield that is expected to weaken before landfall. Also the National Hurricane Center is checking the calibration of their instruments to make sure the 884mb is an accurate number, which is necessary when a record number like this is observed. This is like a 25 mile wide F3 tornado right now and will bring significant damage if not catastrophic to anyone it it's path.

Related News Links:
www.nhc.noaa.gov

[edit on 19-10-2005 by jrod]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Already covered- www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 19-10-2005 by phixion]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:02 AM
link   
lets see.. its supposed to hit in Florida right...

GET OUT NOW !!!

anyone who doesnt' heed a warning to leave, don't come asking for my money to help you after words....

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by elevatedone
lets see.. its supposed to hit in Florida right...

GET OUT NOW !!!

anyone who doesnt' heed a warning to leave, don't come asking for my money to help you after words....

The problem is not everyone is able to get out, much like New Orleans. Where do you go? What do you take? What about your elders who are weak and tired? If only it was as easy to just get out...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:07 PM
link   
you phrased your response nicely phixon, well done...not everyone has the resourses to run at a moments notice. be that as it may...3 count em 3, threee catagory 5 storms in one season (the fact they weakened before landfall is irrelevant) that is in itself unprecedented...can anyone seriously doubt global warming anymore? is there anyone out there in that much denial or pay to exxon to say that something serious and deadly is happening to our weather? at least tornado alley has been quiet this year.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
...can anyone seriously doubt global warming anymore? is there anyone out there in that much denial...

There will always be one year that was the worst.

Just because it's this year right now, does that mean it's anything more than a record year?

Only time will tell.

apc

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:16 PM
link   

at least tornado alley has been quiet this year.

Yeah and I am soooo mad about that.
I live in tornado alley and this year has been one great big disappointment.
I loooove massive destructive storms. Death, mayhem, it's better than sex!
But what has all this global warming brought me?!?! Psh. A little bit of flooding. A little bit of lightning. Nothing insane. Nothing bewildering.

Why's Florida gotta have all the fun?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Hurricanes are no fun. The truth is some of the most stressful parts is before it gets here. Too many people having a panic attack, rushing to the store, and evacuating unnecessarily. A storm like this will likely have a path of extensive destuction less than 50miles and the problem is too many people in relativly safe areas will evacuate and clog up the highways for those who truly need to leave, The Central and Southern Gulf COAST of Florida and the Keys, immediatly people in the eastside of the Yucatan,the West side end of Cuba, and The Cayman Islands need to be ready for a major hurricane.

BTW, this topic has not been covered when I posted it this morning. I made this thread to report the record intensitification and record strength of Wilma. That was not covered on the other topic.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by jrod]

apc

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Too many people having a panic attack, rushing to the store, and evacuating unnecessarily

That's the fun part!

I know if I lived on the coast with a hurricane trying to hunt me down, I would just sit back in a lawn chair bolted to the patio outside my heavily fortified abode. Sippin' from my water stockpile and stroking my pump-action. And the TV would be powered by my backups just so I could watch the unprepared sheeple as they run over eachother trying to escape their destiny. Ba'a'a'a.

Just sayin'... I want my tornadoes!

top topics

join