It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snipe(r) hunting

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theyre Here

Originally posted by Tyler

Its got very limited penetration, stoping power and range.
Don't agrue with me about sniping.

Um.... have you been watching the news lately? This guy's rifle appears to be doing the job just fine.

"Just fine" isn't good enough.

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 08:42 AM
link   
You're sick.

You want this sniper to be doing better?

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 08:44 AM
link   
So what's everyones' opinions on how to deal with this threat? I'm all for giving the rest of the population guns and declaring Marshall Law, but hey, that's probably just me.

Then again I live nowhere near the area, so I find the idea of a major metropolitan area with marshall law declared kinda funny.

Your thoughts?

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Theyre Here
You're sick.

You want this sniper to be doing better?

No. Im saying if he was a proffesional he would be doing better.

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 02:52 PM
link   
Well, I wouldn't mind. Give everyone guns. I'd go to my uncles. He like Burt from the tremor movies. He has new guns, old guns, autos, semi autos, ap, heavy, gas, flame, you name it, he has it. I guess it easy to get all that if you go to Mexico and other countries. Hell, got a freaken grenade launcher for $200 and grenades for $25 a canister in Mexico.Now that is what I call discount shopping.

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 03:51 PM
link   
I have to agree with tyler on this on a 223 is sloppy. And It is not very accurate It is more than likly not a 223 anywhy probely a 306 excelerator bullet. It is more accurate. Being that you have handled guns for over the period that you say tyler. How about this. If you are to fire a 223 bullet it seems to me that in order to be able to pull off a shot accurately you would need to change the grain of the bullet more than than likly a mix. Of gun powder and black powder.

As far as I can see that would be the only way to pull off a shot from where one of them apparently took place which about 930 yards according to the report. You would need a modifed bullet or I am mistaken. One other thing to note. Not that I take anything that I see on Televison As 100% real but on 20/20 on ABC They had shown a picture of where one of the bullets had gone in at in a window. The bullet hole to me looked to be aproximatly a quater in size or so in diamter. It would take a larger bullet to make a hole of that size from that far away being from observation the glass looked to be about a quater inch thick.

I know that a accelerator bullet can hit alot better at the distace that is being used so it seems to me that the 223 bullet and a 306 excellerator bullet show close to the same balistics. Is this correct.

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 04:09 PM
link   
hes a terrorist............you seem to think these were random shootings..........i believe every location was checked weeks months maybe years before this started..........to dissapear as he does is not luck............its a planned operation........the clues he leaves are telling you its real........youve seen northern ireland on tv........well this is what its like...........no-one is innocent to a terroist........this man......assuming of course this is a man............and the weapon wont be in the same vehicle..........these are planned shoots........the routes in and out will have been very well planned...............do you really think someone unbalanced mentally ill..... round the bend....or up the wall......could drive round a state of america unnoticed looking for places to shoot people.........these people are on a mission.........the police presence the public awarness will have all been taken into account.............the shoots carefully planned...............you had the wtc and you bombed afghanistan flat...........now in a coincidental but unrelated matter you have someone shooting innocent people
:

posted on Oct, 22 2002 @ 05:32 PM
link   
just been announced a man has been communicating with the detectives since the weekend i believe using the media ........and im sorry to say a bus driver shot dead...............your children are not safe anytime anywhere..............still a motive isnt known............acts of terror committed and future acts of terror promised against the future of america............i hope not but i do think the war on terrorism has moved to washington state.

posted on Oct, 23 2002 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I've been thinking about this awhile & Squinting Cat has mentioned a few things that relate indirectly to what I've been pondering...

Yes, the sniper is obviously intelligent & cool-headed about his "hobby"...Sick & twisted, but but still planning his hits with a lot of forethought & consideration. This does hint to a professional.

Have you wondered why no news media seems to be focusing on Dubya Gee & his Bully-Boy Gang anymore?...Maybe because the sniper has been hogging the limelight.

I wonder if there's a connection between the timing of the sniper's attacks & what may be getting ignored in D.C. at this time...And what it would take to find out.

posted on Oct, 23 2002 @ 05:51 AM
link   
Falcon.
About 5.56x45mm NATO (.223)
I gotta tell you no sane terroris in the world will use 223.
The .223 generally splinters on impact, allowing almost no excess penetration that could possibly hit innocents.
223 bullet, with its low ballistic coeffecient, is very susceptible to the effects of wind, which really limits its long range potential and there is no way in the world he could hit a human target at 900 yards. The best range it can do is up to 600 yards on a good day.
But the new Federal 77gr Gold Medal Match ammo has decent 1000 yard ballistics. Still at 1000 yards the energy delivered is less than 150 which is equvivalent to a pea shot.

posted on Oct, 23 2002 @ 06:05 AM
link   
THIS is the real thing.

Steyr IWS 2500 Anti-Mat�riel Rifle

Although its not the best anti personl sniper rifle in the world, its definetly the best anti material rifle.
It uses a special 15.2x170mm cal - SLAP (Saboted Light Armor Penetrator) and APDS (Armor Piercing Discarding Sabot).
The barrel itself sits inside a sleeve-type hydro-pneumatic system which is normally found on artillery weapons rather than anything generally associated with a sniper rifle.

(I'm sure theyre here remembers this picture.)
There are two parts in a SLAP/APDS payload. The first part is the armor-piercing (AP) bullet itself. This consists of a sub-caliber bullet (sometimes called a flechette, dart, or penetrator) usually made out of a particularly hard and dense metal or metal alloy, such as tungsten carbide. This type of bullet is very expensive, and would be of little practical benefit if used against soft body armor.

The second part of a SLAP/APDS payload is a discarding sabot (DS). This is a plastic collar that fits between the sub-caliber penetrator and the rifle's bore, transferring spin from the barrel's rifling to the sub-caliber pentrator. The sabot lightens the load that the propellant charge must push from the barrel, increasing the bullet's velocity substantially. This higher velocity facilitates greater penetration.
It can go thro 4 centimeters of steel at a 1000 yards boys.

The IWS 2500 has an extreme range of over 2,000 meters, making the presence of the weapon completely unnoticeable

[Edited on 23-10-2002 by Tyler]

posted on Oct, 23 2002 @ 12:22 PM
link   
maybe the news is reporting what its being told..........getting people to focus on anything but organised terror is nothing new.............maybe they are american terrorists............i have considered that america has no idea just what terrorism is.......i know the wtc and other attrocities on 9/11 were the worlds biggest ever acts of terrorism.......but i mean to live with it day after day.........not for a day week or year...........but for it to be a way of life............washington would gain maximum publicity for any organisation starting a terror campaign on american soil it would also be a logical place after a period of mourning to put the country on its guard...........nice gun tyler.....what does it weigh?

posted on Oct, 23 2002 @ 12:26 PM
link   
I agree with MidnightDStroyer on this. You barely hear about Bush and his cronies on the news anymore since this started happening.

posted on Oct, 25 2002 @ 12:36 PM
link   

its not about background or expirience, its about knowledge and talent. Weapon handling is a gift, a 12 year old kid with an ounce of talent will # on a shooter with 30 years of expirience.

Tyler is that a roundabout way of saying you have no background or experience with sniping, and are just tossing over something you read on a website?

[Edited on 10-26-2002 by Kano]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join