It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homeland Security Chief: Expel All Illegals...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Homeland Security Secretary Michael Chertoff said his department aims without exception to expel all those who enter the United States illegally.

"Our goal at DHS (Homeland Security) is to completely eliminate the 'catch and release' enforcement problem, and return every single illegal entrant, no exceptions.

"It should be possible to achieve significant and measurable progress to this end in less than a year," Chertoff told a Senate hearing.

Thousands of "Mexicans who are caught entering the United States illegally are returned immediately to Mexico. But other parts of the system have nearly collapsed under the weight of numbers. The problem is especially severe for non-Mexicans apprehended at the southwest border," Chertoff explained.

"Today, a non-Mexican illegal immigrant caught trying to enter the United States across the southwest border has an 80 percent chance of being released immediately because we lack the holding facilities," he added.

continue.....

Think they could actually start getting serious about the problem of illegals comming over the border?

I interested in seeing how this turns out...

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   
from what I have read, mexican illegals get sent home while most of the other illegals have a relatively good chance to make it past the seive that is our immigration systemt. He's closing the holes to everyone, not just the mexicans.

I'm surprised the system is still this bad. Wait, it's the government. Yeah, makes sense now.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by Crakeur]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
How about instead of treating the illegal immigrants as criminals, the authorities start treating the businesses that hire them as criminals? Seriously, I've never understood the way our law enforcement and border patrol have handled the problem. The main reason mexican citizens illegally enter this country is to find a job that pays well above what they could make in mexico.

Sure it would have ramifications on the costs of labor for the companies that hire them, that in turn would be passed onto the consumer. The cost of produce (fruits and veggies) may go up considerably, but so what...the myriad other problems caused by illegal immigration would lessen considerably as well. Crime and insurance rates would probably drop and the states social services would have more money to help the actual legal citizens.

Let's stop the problem at the root cause and not the symptoms. Instead of rounding up thousands of illegal immigrants every day, let's crack down on the corporations that gladly hire them to save a buck and pad their own wallets. Remove their reason for coming here and they will have to deal with the problems at home like they should be doing in the first place.

If they don't like the situation in their own country, then they should try to improve it instead of coming here illegally. Instead of fighting for their "right" to sneak into the U.S. to work, they should fight for better wages at home. By allowing companies to freely hire illegal immigrants we are only hurting them in the long run and Mexico will forever be a third world country.

Well that's how I see it anyways.

peace

[edit on 18-10-2005 by StickyG]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 01:05 PM
link   
sticky, this isn't about rounding them up and shipping them out. this is about turning them all away at the border, rather than turning away the mexicans and selectively letting the others slip in.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

"Our goal at DHS (Homeland Security) is to completely eliminate the 'catch and release' enforcement problem, and return every single illegal entrant, no exceptions.

If they want to eliminate the "catch and release" problem they have to remove their reason for coming here. Otherwise as soon as they are returned to Mexico they are going to come right back. Again and again and again until they make it safely to a jobsite where they earn enough American dollars to support their family still in Mexico. Remove the impetus of high wages and then the Border Patrol can truely do it's job at stopping the criminal element (terrorists, car thieves, etc.) from entering the country.

It just seems so ludicrous not to enforce the illegal immigrant worker problem at the source I'm dumbfounded. It's like leaving a pile of food in the middle of your floor and then trying to kill all the ants that have infested your house instead of just removing the pile of food. Get it?

peace

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Sticky if you are going to wait for Coporations and Companies to slap themselves on the wrists, your going to be waiting for the end of the world as we know it. Your suggestion has merit, but the culprits are hardly meritous. I agree though, if a company hires an illegal employee, burn their arses and as with any system, eliminate the demand and the supply will dwindle.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
About 5 years ago the town I live in had an immigration bust. This was due to the fact that the illegals would line a certain street every morning, and contractors, lawn services, pool services, roofers, landscapers, etc. would come back and pick them up for work. Not one of these mexicans were legal. So immigration came in, posted an officer at each "exit" of town, and stopped any and all cars with Mexicans. The took into custody nearly 500 illegals that day, and confiscated the equipment, trucks, cars, etc. of those that had these illegals in their trucks. Well for the next 3 years the problem of illegals stopped, and no new flooded the town, because all of the contractors wouldnt risk another immigration bust. So yes, fining the companies would work. Since that time there have been no other busts, but low and behold THEY are back!

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by StickyGIf they want to eliminate the "catch and release" problem they have to remove their reason for coming here. Otherwise as soon as they are returned to Mexico they are going to come right back.

the way I read the report, the catch and release program pertained to everyone OTHER THAN MEXICANS. Read it again. The policy of forcing the illegals to return is in effect for mexicans but with everyone else there is a catch and release program allowing them to slip into the country.

from the article:

"Today, a non-Mexican illegal immigrant caught trying to enter the United States across the southwest border has an 80 percent chance of being released immediately because we lack the holding facilities," he added.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:35 PM
link   
Please! This is just political postureing. DHS has no intention of stopping Mexican workers from entering the US.
The WH knows this is a hot subject with the likes of l. Dobbs, Buchanan and their followers of which there are many including myself.
The illegal mexican work force is such an interagal part of the American economy that nothing will ever be done except lip service like Chertoff is trying now. Agribusiness could not exist without muhadohs [illegals] as they are known in the SW. If you think the wealthy in this country are going to give up their nannys, domestics, yardboys, and all other service people; you're nuts. Do you want me to tell you about the resturant business now......
Please, schools out!!!

What will happen if anthing; the current illegals entering, will be made legal with some form of special work permit or visa. Most people in the US have no idea of how the US economy and the Mexican economy are entertwined.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by whaaa]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
wow!!! what a novel idea!!! they must of been up every night for weeks thinking this one up!!!

I agree with the previous post, if they were actually willing to give up their cheap labor, they would have done so long before now.
and you notice.....they aren't talking about the mexicans....kind of give the idea, at least to me, that hey they're catching the mexicans, thousands of them....it's the others we have to worry about. I'll agree that it's the others that we have to worry about when it comes to security, but well, I don't think they are coming close to catching all of the illegal mexicans.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:46 PM
link   
This is an attempt to stop the infiltration of NON-MEXICAN ILLEGALS into the US. Unfortunately, it seems the only nationality that is told to go home with any consistency is mexican. Everyone else seems to slip thru and they are addressing that issue.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:56 PM
link   
People forgot that is not only Mexicans coming to the US, is also south Americans, Haitians, Jamaicans, Cubans, Dominican Republic, Chinese and hum . . . every where else.

Or lets make it easier and start with the very first illegals that came to the New world, all the descendants from the Mayflower. Right?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 04:17 PM
link   
I have the perfect system tatoo their forhead with a symbol if they are caught again in this country shoot them in the head. That will fix it.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Okay Crakeur, I see where I misunderstood the meaning of the article. I was seeing "catch and release" as releasing them back into Mexico, and not releasing anyone that is not Mexican immediately. But my points still stand.

I am fully aware of how much our current economy, be it agribusiness, the restaraunt industry, domestic service industry, janitorial industry, etc, rely on the cheap labor of illegal immigrants. I'm also aware there is no easy fix to the problem, but ignoring it all together is a sad excuse to fixing the problem. It seems to be a don't ask, don't tell policy like homosexuality is in the military, but that's a whole other bag of worms and not on topic here. *ahem*

I'm all for efforts to legalize the current immigrant workforce, since it seems the only viable option to keep everyone happy. Especially the elite who benefit most from the cheap labor. Let's get them registered and legal with a social security number so they don't have to use mine anymore and so they can be taxed, and lets set wage standards for them that all sides can be happy with. Let's make it easier for those entering the country to get work permits so they don't have to sneak across the border through treacherous deserts and raging rivers. Whatever the case, let's stop ignoring the problem and do something that creates a win-win situation for both sides.

The "mujados" are people too, no need for draconian measures DirtyDevil, how trollish of you to say so though. And whaaa I agree, nothing more than lip service, as we've heard it all before. G.W.B. even agrees that no American wants these jobs anyways, so might as well let the illegals keep them. *bleh* Getting sick now, thanks for your time.

peace

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   
DD That would never work, the PC crowd would be all over you and not in a good way. I say ship them to Earths ***hole, Antartica. WHy?

"Hey we aren't killing them, we are helping them! They want out of their country so we are allowing them to do so!"

Wait, no meat eaters on the land, waste of meat, send them to Northern Canada/Russia/Alaska so at least the Big Scary Bears can get a filling meal.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
People forgot that is not only Mexicans coming to the US, is also south Americans, Haitians, Jamaicans, Cubans, Dominican Republic, Chinese and hum . . . every where else.

Or lets make it easier and start with the very first illegals that came to the New world, all the descendants from the Mayflower. Right?

if these immigrants from mexico stayed you might have a point....

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I can tell one thing for real the ones that settler here in the south GA are here to stay.

At least I know that they are called migrant workers they move from county to county and between Florida, GA, Al, Mississippi and Virginia depending the crops that will be ready at the time.

In the last ten years the population of migrant workers is growing into communities.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by marg6043]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 08:19 PM
link   
If you're entering the USA at a point other than a designated spot, I'd say it's VERY likely you're doing so illegally.

I wouldn't mind paying just a little bit more for things if companies would hire Americans and not illegals. In the end you'd actually save. People need to stop looking at short-term.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:04 PM
link   
What about all the illegals entering through Canada and the East and West Coast.

This sounds like telling us what they think we want to hear. I have little faith it will successfully curb the flow of illegals.

cjf

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
From everything I have read in this post.........

Why have borders?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join