It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Halloween Controversy

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:57 AM
link   
Last year, a number of towns in Georgia (and other “southern parts”, I imagine) decided that celebrating Halloween was un-Christian and a pagan ritual to be avoided at all costs particularly since it landed on a Sunday. Trick-or-treating was banned, Halloween parties became “fall festivals”, and children wore their Sunday-school best instead of dressing as little pumpkins, goblins and ghosts.

I know that Halloween doesn’t fall on a Sunday this year, but I’m wondering if this new anti-Halloween tradition is continuing this year. Anyone burning their costumes?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by jupiter869

I know that Halloween doesn’t fall on a Sunday this year, but I’m wondering if this new anti-Halloween tradition is continuing this year. Anyone burning their costumes?

And the Great Pumpkin came from The Patch and smote those that didn't believe and He smote those that carved images in His likeness and He smote those that wore lame costumes. And on the 2nd day, grannie johnson carved that pumpkin and made bread and pie and everyone was full.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
Anti-Halloween tradition continues every year.

My old employer was a Christian (I never knew specifically what church). Halloween night his church would gather to be against Halloween. I kinda felt bad that these kids had to go to church when every one else was having fun and getting free candy.
Oh well.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:22 AM
link   

Last year, a number of towns in Georgia (and other “southern parts”, I imagine) decided that celebrating Halloween was un-Christian and a pagan ritual to be avoided at all costs particularly since it landed on a Sunday. Trick-or-treating was banned, Halloween parties became “fall festivals”, and children wore their Sunday-school best instead of dressing as little pumpkins, goblins and ghosts.

Well, you know that the bible belt now has strong support in the Whitehouse and soon to be Supreme Court. I doubt, if anyone brought it up as freedom of expression issue, it would stand up at all.

The thing that irritates me the most about this, is that "Christians" still allow the portrayal of an "Easter Bunny" during the Easter holiday. I'd think that that form of Animism would go against their belief structure.

But, just as there's no consistency in the bible, I guess there is none in the fundamentalist belief either.

[edit on 10-18-2005 by wetwarez]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by UmbraxMy old employer was a Christian (I never knew specifically what church). Halloween night his church would gather to be against Halloween. I kinda felt bad that these kids had to go to church when every one else was having fun and getting free candy.
Oh well.

translation:

I felt bad because while he was holed up in church praying for "the costumed candy eating sinners" were tp'ing and egging his house.

I can honestly say that I would riot in the streets if the bible thumpers ever took silly fun holidays like halloweeen away from my kids.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:27 AM
link   
I believe each Christian needs to study and seriously consider whether they should be celebrating a Druidic holyday (holiday).

There are many websites to research. Here's two, but check many:

www.historychannel.com...

www-atdp.berkeley.edu...

Two schools of thought predominate the Christian community:

1.) It's no longer what it used to be. Now it's just a fun time for kids to dress up and collect candy.
2.) It's another religion's ritualistic activity that has nothing to do with God, therefore should not be celebrated by Christians.

My questions to the #1 schoolers are:

1.) If you celebrate a Druidic holy day, what gods are you serving?

2.) Is scaring (promoting fear/doom) a positive quality?

3.) What do people dress up as on Samhain and for what reason? Is that a "good" reason?

4.) What are others doing on the holiday, such as modern day druids, new-agers, and Satanists? Yes, I knew a Satanist and he did tell me of things his cult would do.

5.) What does the Bible say about 'trick'ing, trickery, and other forms of deception?

6.) The 'treat' is massive amounts of candy. This is "good" because...?

[edit on 18-10-2005 by saint4God]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by wetwarez

The thing that irritates me the most about this, is that "Christians" still allow the portrayal of an "Easter Bunny" during the Easter holiday. I'd think that that form of Animism would go against their belief structure.

But, just as there's no consistency in the bible, I guess there is none in the fundamentalist belief either.

The irony of it all is that Christianity is FILLED with pagan rituals (including Easter, as you mentioned). Why condemn one if you're going to advocate another?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Halloween is a bastard creation of commercial entities using overtones of pagan traditions, the actual holiday in question of pagan origin which falls on the same day as Halloween is Samhain. I'm sure there will be more outcry from the right when the time draws near, and they will probably make even more progress in steamrolling over others religions while still celebrating their core holidays using stolen pagan traditions.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

The irony of it all is that Christianity is FILLED with pagan rituals (including Easter, as you mentioned). Why condemn one if you're going to advocate another?

I don't think Christians celebrate Ishtar either
. Resurrection Sunday is another story.

Gimme my holydays back! You can keep yours, just don't expect my light to be on during Halloween.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Christianity has no holidays, it stole them from everyone else. They also stole everything from other religons. They have nothing original, SOn of God, Evil God, floods, nothing original. It was stolen from everything else. Zues and Hurn and Odin and Apollo and well, you get the point...

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
translation:

I felt bad because while he was holed up in church praying for "the costumed candy eating sinners" were tp'ing and egging his house.

Actually it was more like I took my 3 and 5 year old and got dressed up and got to know our community and got a sugar rush. My kids really had a good time and will have good memories of dressing up with their dad and meeting our neighbors.

Christmas is a silly fun holiday too, I wouldn't want that taken away either. As well as Easter.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by saint4God
I believe each Christian needs to study and seriously consider whether they should be celebrating a Druidic holyday (holiday).

There are many websites to research. Here's two, but check many:

www.historychannel.com...

www-atdp.berkeley.edu...

Two schools of thought predominate the Christian community:

1.) It's no longer what it used to be. Now it's just a fun time for kids to dress up and collect candy.
2.) It's another religion's ritualistic activity that has nothing to do with God, therefore should not be celebrated by Christians.

My questions to the #1 schoolers are:

1.) If you celebrate a Druidic holy day, what gods are you serving?

2.) Is scaring (promoting fear/doom) a positive quality?

3.) What do people dress up as on Samhain and for what reason? Is that a "good" reason?

4.) What are others doing on the holiday, such as modern day druids, new-agers, and Satanists? Yes, I knew a Satanist and he did tell me of things his cult would do.

5.) What does the Bible say about 'trick'ing, trickery, and other forms of deception?

6.) The 'treat' is massive amounts of candy. This is "good" because...?

What about Christmas. Aren’t Christians really celebrating the birth of the sun GOD. This is the Day that was celebrated by the Romans. What about Easter? This was and is a fertility holiday. My point is if that you want to be a hard line "Christian" and take everything literally then don't celebrate any holidays that have any link to paganism. Don’t be a hypocrite!!!!!

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax

Originally posted by Crakeur
translation:

Actually it was more like I took my 3 and 5 year old and got dressed up and got to know our community and got a sugar rush. My kids really had a good time and will have good memories of dressing up with their dad and meeting our neighbors.

Christmas is a silly fun holiday too, I wouldn't want that taken away either. As well as Easter.

This is the first year my daughter will actually appreciate halloween (she's almost 3) so we are looking forward to it for the first time in a long while. as for those other pagan rituals you refer to, I'm jewish so the bunny day and the one day version of channukah mean nothing to me but I am positive that the bible thumpers won't rid the country of those days.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by wetwarez

It's that pick-and-choose mentality that SOME Christians have. Not all, but some, particularly in the South.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by Holden]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaTruth
What about Christmas. Aren’t Christians really celebrating the birth of the sun GOD. This is the Day that was celebrated by the Romans. What about Easter? This was and is a fertility holiday. My point is if that you want to be a hard line "Christian" and take everything literally then don't celebrate any holidays that have any link to paganism. Don’t be a hypocrite!!!!!

I've always found it convenient that all the major religous holidays fell in line with eachother.

fun, gift giving holidays: x-mas, channukah, kwanzaaa.
serious, high holy days: passover, easter

Bill Mahre was talking about relgion a couple of weeks ago and he made a comment about how Ramadan, Rosh Hoshannah and a Christian holiday (no clue which one) all fell on the same day. He said it wasn't a coincidence but, rather, it implied that at least one religion was making their holiday up. If one was lying, they're all lying.

I wouldn't go so far as to call anyone's beliefs lies but the point is, they all come from one idea and over time groups that didn't believe in the entire set of ethics being taught decided to alter the "code" for themselves to make it more liveable for them. Thus the birth of new religions.

for all we know, the switch from multiple gods to one god might have merely been the inability to afford all the offerings needed for each god.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:52 AM
link   
I live in GA and so far the town I am in do their Halloween with not problem at all.

In schools we are allowed to give candy bags to the children.

I know that last year the places that had Halloween controversies was in Alabama.

But who cares. Right?

I will give away candy as usual, with the inflation and high cost of living I will limit my candy give away to only two pieces each child.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur I'm jewish so the bunny day and the one day version of channukah mean nothing to me but I am positive that the bible thumpers won't rid the country of those days.

I'm not religious at all actually, none of these holidays have that kind of value to me.
Really Santa goes against what Christmas is supposed to be about, as well as the chocolate egg holiday. I can see them wanting to take that away.
Look at Jehovah's Witnesses they reject all holidays based on their interpretation of the bible.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:58 AM
link   
This is about giving candy treats to the children not a fight between Good and evil.

The only evil about candy is cavities

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

What about Christmas.

Sure, we can talk about CHRISTmas.

Aren’t Christians really celebrating the birth of the sun GOD.

No.

This is the Day that was celebrated by the Romans.

I realize there was a "date consolidation" of holydays. Doesn't mean I like nor agree with it. I would rather Christmas be in July, but the date is unimportant.

What about Easter? This was and is a fertility holiday.

You're absolutely right. Christians have no business celebrating Ishtar, fertility, eggs, more candy, wabbits, baby chicks, etc.

My point is if that you want to be a hard line "Christian" and take everything literally then don't celebrate any holidays that have any link to paganism. Don’t be a hypocrite!!!!!

I agree, Christians should not be hypocrites. Were you saying I'm one? If so, please point it out so I can make the correction. I'd hope for no less from any brother or sister.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join