It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Australia Considers Vaccinating Entire Population

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Australian Federal Health Minister Tony Abbott has stated that the Australian Government is considering vaccinating the entire population of 20 million people in the event that human trials of a vaccine are successful and in the event that a human-to-human mutation of the virus takes place.

Mr Abbott stated that the Australian Government was working closely with pharmaceutical company CSL to develop a human vaccine for the deadly H5N1 strain of the virus, commonly referred to as bird flu. Mr Abbott indicated that, in the event the vaccine proves successful, the Government would consider mass manufacturing the vaccine and vaccinating the entire population of Australia:

If the live trials currently taking place look promising … we will consider whether we need to build up a supply of this drug, such that if necessary we can vaccinate the whole population.

Health officials have estimated that a pandemic of the virus within Australia could claim as many as 13 000 deaths, with another 58 000 hospitalised. Trials of the drug are expected to be completed before the end of the year. Prime Minister John Howard stated that he was confident in the Australian Government's ability to protect its citizens, saying

We are working in collaboration with others on a vaccine and we've got a big investment in anti-virals and I can assure the Australian public that everything that can be done will be done to protect all Australians.

However, Opposition Health spokeswoman Julia Gillard refutes the Government's claims, saying that the vaccine may only be effective against current strains of the virus, which may mutate and render the vaccine ineffective.

Is such a move feasible? If this new vaccine proves effective, how long would it take to mass produce enough quantities to vaccinate every Australian citizen? This is a bold statement for the Government to make - are they simply attempting to calm people's fears? If the vaccine does prove effective, surely the Government would have a responsibility to distribute it to neighbouring countries for production for their own peoples as well. Bird flu is just beginning to make the news here in Australia. My question is - what does this statement by the Government indicate? Just how concerned are they about the possibility of a pandemic in Australia and do they truly have the resources and abilities to counter one should it manifest?

Let me know what you think.

References

ABC News Online

The Age

ABC Asia-Pacific News

Ireland Online

[edit on 18/10/05 by Jeremiah25]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 02:54 AM
link   
20 million is doable if the government gets on it as soon a vaccine is avalible. However, bigger countries will have a hard time let alone 3rd world ones.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 07:09 AM
link   
very good article though, thank you for posting. It is good however to see some progress with making a H5N1 vaccine, i just hope it is 100% effective, otherwise a vaccine is basically useless.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by ekul08]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Just saw this on the news and it seems to simple to consider effective. I'm not too concerned about federal politics with this case, but I do think that there is a preparation coming on. Whether this is prevention or simple a calming effect for the media audience, many feel that panic vacination is the way to go.

On the otherhand, the KFC add is focused around quality chicken delivery. Not sure if it is related but I sure feel it is. How subtle is that?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 11:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah25
Australian Federal Health Minister Tony Abbott has stated that the Australian Government is considering vaccinating the entire population of 20 million people in the event that human trials of a vaccine are successful and in the event that a human-to-human mutation of the virus takes place.

I'm unsure about this.. some things I have been vaccinated for but this would not be a 'normal' vaccine as the genetics of this pending mutation could have all sorts of complications so I agree it may not be an 'easy fix'. There is no telling which flu it will mix with.. there are literally thousands.

I'm also extreamily suspicious of talk of compulsary vaccinations when it hasn't even mutated yet.. the media is almost pure propaganda now so how are we to know they don't 'add' something to vaccinations to make an entire population more amenable ? There are precendents for this.. the Nazis of course [no-ones mentioned them in this thread yet
] and there have been many cases when someone is suffering from one disease and they get experimented on without their consent and it's caused further injury. This seems are little too premeditated.. especially just after the new terrorism laws. There seems to be a progressive pattern in the politics for the last few years.. especially now. There is political 'progression' of sorts but I just can't put my finger on where it's leading to.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Yes, heard about this also.
I will not be getting any vaccinations ......
I don't think this would be compulsary , and even if it is, I will not be getting it!

Last year or early this year, they said all should be vaccinated against the mennigicocal outbreak.....alot of people went to their doctors to get the vaccine,with a price of 70 dollars per person or child. Many could not get the vaccine because they had been told that they had a shortage of the vaccine,and were put on a waiting list. '(or so , they said!)

Another type of mennigococal strain had appeared.
And there was no vaccine.........
Even those that did get vaccinated , got the new strain of the virus...
This to me, is installing FEAR into the people and making them believe that THEY have Life and Death in the palms of their hands!

In God I trust!

"And do not fear those who kill the body but cannot kill the soul. But rather fear Him who is able to destroy both body and soul in hell." [Matt. 10:28....

"For to you it has been granted on behalf of Christ, not only to believe in Him, but also to suffer for His sake" (Phil. 1:29).

But the very hairs of your head are all numbered. Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows (Mt. 10:16-42; Lk. 12:2-12; 21:12-19).

IX
helen

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
Spice remedy anyone?

www.unknowncountry.com...

top topics

join