It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Someone Explain How Israel Was Created?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Yes, I'm Googling the subject to death. I feel understanding the roots of terrorism in the Middle Eastern region would come from knowledge so, can anyone explain to me how, 100 years ago, there was no Israel and now there is? I am watching the West Wing right now, the episode where president Bartlett has the Israeli and Palestinian leaders over to Camp David to try and hammer out a peace agreement. Thru this episode I am getting bits and pieces of information. Palestinians made a mistake back in '38 when they were offered their own state? Or something to that effect? How did the jews just come in and take over a piece of land that belonged to someone else? Or so it would seem. Please clarify, in hopes of better understanding today's terrorism climate.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:00 PM
link   
Here you go,

en.wikipedia.org...

Hopefully that will clear things up for you.

Edit:

Here's another one for you.

www.cia.gov...

[edit on 17-10-2005 by LeftBehind]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Brits controlled land there, gave it to the jews, to form a country of there own, There were other places then the current location, That were considered to be the new jewish state in that region though.

The Palestinians were offered to form there own state, but refused it, because they didnt want to accept a Jewish state.

They are incabable of compromise, which is why until they are capabale of such things, there will never be peace in that region..

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
There have been many persons in Europe who wanted to establish a new Israeli State for the Jews.
One of those persons was Napoleon Bonaparte who called for the return of the Jews to Palestine in 1799.

Napoleon Bonaparte's Letter to the Jews April 20,, 1799

The young army with which Providence has sent me hither, let by justice and accompanied by victory, has made Jerusalem my head-quarters and will, within a few days, transfer them to Damascus, a proximity which is no longer terrifying to David's city.

Rightful heirs of Palestine !

The great nation which does not trade in men and countries as did those which sold your ancestors unto all people (Joel,4,6) herewith calls on you not indeed to conquer your patrimony ;nay, only to take over that which has been conquered and, with that nation's warranty and support, to remain master of it to maintain it against all comers.

Napoleon failed to hold the territory so was not able to fulfill his promise.

Almost a century later a man named Theodore Herzl, the father of Zionism, set out on the goal to create a Jewish state as a way for the Jews to escape anti-semitism in Europe.

Binyamin Ze'ev Herzl Father of Zionism 1860-1904

Herzl concluded that anti-Semitism was a stable and immutable factor in human society, which assimilation did not solve. He mulled over the idea of Jewish sovereignty, and, despite ridicule from Jewish leaders, published Der Judenstaat (The Jewish State, 1896). Herzl argued that the essence of the Jewish problem was not individual but national. He declared that the Jews could gain acceptance in the world only if they ceased being a national anomaly. The Jews are one people, he said, and their plight could be transformed into a positive force by the establishment of a Jewish state with the consent of the great powers. He saw the Jewish question as an international political question to be dealt with in the arena of international politics.

It wasn't really until 1917 that the Jewish state really came closer to reality, when the Balfour Declaration was issued by the British Lord James Balfour.
He called for the creation of a Jewish homeland within, not in place of, Palestine.

The declaration was worked on with a Russian Zionist named Chaim Weizmann. THE BALFOUR DECLARATION

Jewish immigration to Palestine increased after this and it, along with being ruled by a foreign power, became a source of tension among the mostly Arab population of Palestine, who demanded an independent state run by Muslims. PALESTINE ARAB DELEGATION AND THE ZIONIST ORGANISATION 1922.

They were some riots, the worst of which was probably the one in 1936.

After that one, the British formed the Peel Commission to find a solution to the problem. In 1937, they recommended the partition of Palestine into Jewish and Arab States with Jerusalem under international mandate.
REPORT of the PALESTINE ROYAL COMMISSION 1937

1937 Partition Map

This was rejected by both the Palestinians and the Jews. The Palestinians rejected it outright and the Zionists rejected it because they felt that not enough land was being given to them.

The Palestinian Revolt

In 1937 the Twentieth Zionist Congress rejected the proposed boundaries but agreed in principle to partition. Palestinian Arab nationalists rejected any kind of partition. The British government approved the idea of partition and sent a technical team to make a detailed plan. This group, the Woodhead Commission, reversed the Peel Commission's findings and reported in November 1937 that partition was impracticable; this view in its turn was accepted. The Palestinian Revolt broke out again in the autumn of 1937. The British put down the revolt using harsh measures, shutting down the AHC and deporting many Palestinian Arab leaders.

The violence continued and both the Arabs and the Jews began attacking the British. The British eventually gave up control of Palestine and handed over the problem to the UN. The UN then proposed a partition again in 1947, giving 55% of the land to the Jews who only accounted for about one third of the population. UNTIED NATIONS SPECIAL COMMITTEE ON PALESTINE 1947

1947 Partition Map

This was rejected by the Arabs within Palestine and from neighboring countries. When it was finally passed, with the British abstaining from the vote, the Arab countries fulfilled their promise to attack the Jews in Israel but they were defeated and Israel claimed even more territory than they had before.

When another war erupted in 1967, they took control of the West Bank and Gaza also but those areas were eventually put back in control of the Arabs, for the most part.

[edit on 17-10-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:49 PM
link   
Here is another place you can read:

www.terroranalysis.com...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I don't need links. Google gives me 200,000+ links. I posted here hoping for someone who has personal knowledge about the situation.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by BANGINCOLOR
I don't need links. Google gives me 200,000+ links. I posted here hoping for someone who has personal knowledge about the situation.

Valhall has done quite a lot of research into this and so have I.
The articles that she has put together, that she linked to in this thread, are more extensive than I can type out.

It's worth taking a look.

The information I posted may not have been what you were looking for but it would have taken a very long time for me explain this fully. I did try to post a little more than just random google links though.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by AceOfBase]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:04 PM
link   
What constitutes "personal knowledge" about the creation of Israel? Who are you hoping will post in this thread?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
Get this book from your library and read it. It's not an easy book to read. But it's one of, if not the best, books on the subject I've ever seen.

Author: Keay, John.
Title: Sowing the wind : the seeds of conflict in the Middle East /
Edition: 1st American ed.
Publishing Information: New York : Norton, 2003.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by BANGINCOLOR
Yes, I'm Googling the subject to death. I feel understanding the roots of terrorism in the Middle Eastern region would come from knowledge so, can anyone explain to me how, 100 years ago, there was no Israel and now there is?

Yeah. Go to the local library and check out a book titled "A Peace To End All Peace." I don't know if you can get the text off the internet, but if you can it goes into the subject in detail. The book reads more like a novel than a history text, but it is extremely well researched and is used by Texas A&M University as a history text for the period you are interested in.

BTW, great summary of events you presented ACE. The book I recommended does not extend past the end of WW1, but it does cover the other countries of the MidEast as well as Israel and clearly gives the information necessary to understand the root of the problems there now.

[edit on 20-10-2005 by Astronomer68]

[edit on 20-10-2005 by Astronomer68]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 04:41 AM
link   
3300 BC The Ghassulian culture in the region is followed by "Semetic" culture- not necessarily Jewish- the Canaanites who the Hebrews displaced were technically of the same culture.

Circa 18th Century BC: Judaism is supposedly founded and Abraham first travels to the land of Canaan- modern Israel (I say supposedly because I know some will dispute the dates, which are mostly inferred from comparison of events in the bible to mentions of historical figures in the bible, establishing a rough and sometimes inspecific chronology).

Circa 13th Century BC: Hebrews (supposedly) flee captivity in Egypt

Early 12th Century BC: The Hittites are conquered, the Canaanites are temporarily displaced, and the Jews move into Canaan. The Canaanites come back and try to drive them out.

Late 12th BC: King David goes to war with the Canaanites again, conquering most of what is now Israel. Jerusalem becomes the capital of Israel for the first time. Syria becomes a vassal state to Israel.

Mid 10th Century BC: The Temple is built in Jerusalem.

587 BC: The Babylonians take Jerusalem and destory the first temple. Babylonian Captivity begins- many Jews are exiled, taken as slaves, or flee on their own.

539-37 BC: The Persians conquer the Babylonians and let the Jews go back home. The Second Temple is built.

332 BC: Alexander the Great conquers the Persians. The Jews pledge their loyalty to him.

323 BC: Alexander the Great dies, Israel changes hands several times in just a couple of decades.

63 BC: Rome conquers the area under Pompey.

AD 6: Caesar Augustus makes it a province.

66: The Jews Revolt. Rome kicks their butt, destroys their temple AGAIN, and many Jews are driven out by the Roman retalliation.

70: The Romans, as further punishment, name the area "Palestine" after the Philistines, enemies of the Jews.

395: The Roman Empire is fractured, the Eastern Empire (Byzantines) rule the area. It becomes a center of Christianity.

634: The Islamic Caliphate gains control of the area. Arabic becomes the new language, Islam the new religion.

1516: The Ottoman Empire gains control. This is interrupted briefly by Napolean, but for all intents and purposes lasts until WWI.

The last two entries are the really important ones- this is where outsiders finally transform what has been Jewish land for 2000 years into Muslim land.

1920: The League of Nations establishes the British Mandate of Palestine, which included both Israel and modern Jordan. The British determined that the area East of the Jordan River was not subject to the provision for a Jewish state, and Jordan was created. Jews at this point are still 11% of the populations.

1920-1945: Jewish immigration explodes under British control- the area becomes 31% Jewish.

1936: The Peel Commission recommends splitting the area West of the Jordan between Arabs and Jews. The Arabs launch "The Great Uprising" in an attempt to stop Jewish immigration, since the British have refused to give them the entire area. The Jews organize militias both to retaliate against the Arabs and to drive the British out.

1947: The British leave and devide it finally between Israel and Palestine. Israel accepts the terms. Palestine and its neighbors do not.

May 14th, 1948: Israel officially becomes independent. Palestine, Egypt, Iraq, Jordan, Lebanon, and Syria all immediate declare war. They lose most of the Palestinian territory in this war.
Jordan annexes the West Bank. Egypt Occupies the Gaza Strip.

1967: The Arabs attack again, resulting in the Six Day Smackdown. The West Bank, Gaza Strip, and Golan Heights of Southern Syria, and Egypt's Sinai Peninsula are all taken by Israel after the invaders are dealt a crushing defeat.

1973: The Egyptians launch a surprise attack on Israel during the Yom Kippur Holiday. They make a little more of a fight of it this time- it lasted a full 18 days before Israel had completely routed the Egyptian and Syrian Armies. Israel had routed the Egyptian and Syrian armies. They were in position to completely anhilate what remained of the Egyptian 3rd army and to move on Cairo, the Suez, and Damascus. The Soviets threatened to intervene and that was averted.

So basically, they've been there for a few thousand years, but they keep getting conquered by outsiders. In the last few centuries, the outsiders made a real impact on demographics there, mostly through force, but nevertheless that leaves us with the problem of two distinct cultures which basically consider the region home.

The British tried to work out a compromise. The Israelis wanted to compromise. The arabs did not. The Arabs have attacked the Israelis again and again since 1948, and they keep losing. Finally, at some point in the 80s-90s, the arabs figured out that it wasn't working, so they stopped attacking with stuff that can be seen from satellites and limited their war to terrorism. They mastered the art of saying one thing in english for the soundbytes while preaching terror in their native tongue. That worked much better than declaring war. Everyone wants to cry a river for the poor Palestinians.
"Just because somebody lost a war THAT THEY STARTED doesn't mean that they should have to face consequences, especially not losing land."

I can't help wondering if these same people would feel compelled to rebuild the Ottoman Empire and tell them that we're sorry for winning the first world war. Perhaps while they're at it they would like to give a nice chunk of Canada back to the Cajuns who the Brits displaced.

By the way, if anyone sees Ian Smith, tell him to get back to Rhodesia and prepare to consolidate the power of the white minority over the African population. Remember, you can't punish somebody for starting a war, especially if its arguably a civil war, even if their motives are highly racist... or at least that's what the pro-palestinian side tells me.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0le
They are incabable of compromise, which is why until they are capabale of such things, there will never be peace in that region..

What racist rubbish.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 05:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by uknumpty

Originally posted by C0le

What racist rubbish.

Thank you uknumpty. I'm so glad someone said it, I totally agree.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:14 AM
link   

1967: The Arabs attack again, resulting in the Six Day Smackdown. The West Bank, Gaza Strip, and Golan Heights of Southern Syria, and Egypt's Sinai Peninsula are all taken by Israel after the invaders are dealt a crushing defeat.

This simply is not true.

The 1967 war began when Israel invaded in a sneak attack.

Flying low over the Med in a dawn raid the Israelies bombed the arab airforces as they sat on the ground.

Their intention was to steal land, which they did.

Any claims that Israel was defending itself is destroyed by the fact that almost 40 years later they are still occupying land from that conflict.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 08:26 AM
link   
from the looks of it, Israel is not doing itself any favor.

it needs to make friends with a lot more muslim nations.

Saudi Arabia has already offered to restore full relations with Israel.

presently only 2 or 3 countries actually give real support to Israel.

when you have 52 countires against you, then no matter how long you hang in there, you will eventually lose.

israel needs to start thinking of getting along with its neighbors pretty fast.

---

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArchAngel
Their intention was to steal land, which they did.

Any claims that Israel was defending itself is destroyed by the fact that almost 40 years later they are still occupying land from that conflict.

since they steal land which in my view is the suckiest stealing ever. the Israelis take the Sinai and they return it back to Egypt. the Sinai was a valuable possession to keep, including the possible control of the Suez canal.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr conspiracy

when you have 52 countires against you, then no matter how long you hang in there, you will eventually lose.

---

It's kind of hard to get along with countries that are neighbors when their constantly calling for your destruction, wiping you into the sea etc. Iran and Lebanon, (pre-freedom Iraq), and Palestine will never get along with Israel. When is the last time you have seen Israel people chanting "Death to Iran" in the streets? Exactly.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:23 AM
link   

What racist rubbish

Not at all. The viewpoint that the Palestinians are unwilling to compromise is borne out in their actions. Refusals to commit to generous treaties meeting a large percentage of their demands, and continued reliance upon terrorism as a political tool certainly supports the "unwilling to compromise" argument. Such a statement has nothing to do with race.

While I admit they were given a raw deal, they cannot win a war with Isreal, with terrorism or othewise, and the only option for their own state is to compromise with Israel. This is something they've repeatedly, historically, refused to do, and so it's a valid argument based on their actions...hardly a racist comment.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 09:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by mr conspiracy

---

Israel just doesn't have 52 countries against it. They have every country against them except for micronesia. You need to get your head out of the sand my friend.

[edit on 20-10-2005 by scienceguy94]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
This is something they've repeatedly, historically, refused to do, and so it's a valid argument based on their actions...hardly a racist comment.

It is racist as it supposes that Israeli's have some moral high ground that the Palestinians are unlikely to achieve, which history proves is wrong.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join