It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9000 Year Old N. American Caucasian?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
I heard on the radio something about a 9000 year old fossilized skeleton found in N. America that appeared to be caucasian and that it was kindly brushed under the radar. Does anyone have any info or insight into this, any would be nice. Thanks

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I'm going to look around on the web about this.

How can a fossil reveal that the human was Caucasian? I will post what I can find.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Look at the skull of an african or even an american indian and compare it to a european or white american

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Umbrax
I'm going to look around on the web about this.

How can a fossil reveal that the human was Caucasian? I will post what I can find.

Skeletal and skull characteristics can show things about a person ranging from Race, Sex, Age, Height, Musculature and offcource Previous injury in their lifetime(this can sometimes be used to define what activities the person was involved in).

www.miafacts.org... shows a bit about how this is done.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Hm couldn't find much but this article from Wikipedia explains about a differnece in skull and head measurements within different races;

en.wikipedia.org...(Average_intelligence_gaps_among_races)#Brain_size_.26_structure

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I'm still looking for some reference on the web about this story. Thanks for the info you guys

The idea of a Caucasian in North America 9000 years ago is pretty amazing. swampcricket, do you know the radio station or program's name? That would help me find something online about this.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:12 PM
link   
I think it was Mike Savage, it is talk radio but very informitive.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:16 PM
link   
This link is debating the legalities of this find..Still looking for an image..

www.missoulanews.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
There are some pics here.

www.kennewick-man.com...

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:23 PM
link   
It didn't slip under the radar... in fact, it's one of the most well-known skeletons in North America. What you're talking about is the Kennewick Man.

www.washington.edu...

www.kennewick-man.com...

The skeleton has strong Caucasian features but is not Caucasian (although it is called Caucasian in many areas):
www.science-frontiers.com...

There are a number of American Indians who look "Caucasian" (pure bloods) except for skin tone.
nas.ucdavis.edu...

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I myself lived on an Indian Reservation and there are very "pure blood" indians left. Most of the ones with caucasian features usually had hispanic sir names and spanish in thier blood line. Spanish=European

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
I knew Byrd would pop up with the answers.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:26 PM
link   
not saying that the skull is a product of spanish and native americans from 9k years ago either

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Kennewick man????

www.pbs.org...

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd
It didn't slip under the radar... in fact, it's one of the most well-known skeletons in North America.

Indeed. When I was studying Archaeology at university, we had to write a paper about the Kennewick Man and the debate concerning the ownership of his remains.

At the time, there was debate regarding the origins of Kennewick Man. Local Native Americans insisted that the remains were those of a Native American who had died and been buried many thousands of years ago. Conversely, there were a group of individuals who suggested that the remains were of Scandinavian origin and should consequently be returned to that area for reburial. Our task was to decide which group was right and what should be done with the remains.

Ultimately, I decided that Kennewick Man was probably not directly related to either modern group and should probably remain where he was. So, as usual, Byrd is right - this is a well-known and hotly debated find.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:34 PM
link   
This was the first I had heard of the subject, just curious to know if not American Indian and not Scandanavian but caucasian how was he here 9000 years ago?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:59 AM
link   
Who knows how Kennewick man got where he ended up -- but remember he's not the earliest human in America. The Clovis Culture (a group of tribes/bands that had a certain type of stone spearpoint and eems to have a certain kind of lifestyle) dates back to 12,000 years ago -- we have a number of Clois archaeological sites.

So Kennewick would have come into the Americas after the Clovis people did. And the Clovis people aren't the first. We have a site here in Texas that dates back 20,000 years (this is debated but there are other sites in the Americas that are also this old... and one possibly 50,000 years old.)

So he would have been a member of one of the more ancient tribes -- the AmerInd speakers (there were as many as five different large migrations. The AmerInds arrived about 10,000 years ago.)

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:37 PM
link   
I have never seen a full blooded Native American who looked like a Caucasian. The majority of pure bloods look like darker, stronger feautured and rounder eyed version of the asians, who are believed to be related anyway.

When they did a reconstruction of the Kennewick mans head, his features bore a resemblance to those of Patrick Stewart (Jean Luc Piccard for us trekkies). Stewart is British.

The only Native Americans I have ever seen that resemble caucasians are those who have caucasian ancestry.

posted on Nov, 4 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   
I saw a show on Kennewick Man not to long ago. Sadly there can be no more test done on it since it by law belongs to Native Americans. Even though eary examination suggested it had more incommon with Caucasians then any Native American.

By law any human remains found in America over a certian age (500 years I think) belong to Native Americans, whether they are related to them or not.

So last I heard Kennewick Man along with his secrets was reburied according to Native American wishes.

top topics

join