It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

All body armor....well almost.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 04:34 PM
link   
nsc.natick.army.mil...

The Individual Protection Directorate’s (IPD) on going efforts in Ballistic Protection for the Individual Warfighter are developing technology to improve personnel armor. This is being accomplished by reducing the weight and/or increasing the level of protection. These developments can be applied to increase the level of protection offered to the individual to counter the effects of the Improvised Explosive Devises (IED) threat.

Recently, IPD developed an extremity armor prototype (OTV-Extra, top picture), to increase the area of coverage offered by the Outer Tactical Vest (OTV), which is a part of the Interceptor Body Armor currently being fielded. The concept was submitted to the PM-Clothing and Individual Equipment for consideration and the upper arm module with slight modifications was adopted for limited fielding. The IPD concept built on the design that the 82nd Airborne Division did as an in-the field fix.

so wat u guys dink? i hope its light and not too bulky. from the way it looks its feasible to continue to fight while still have all those armor on right now. im hopin they add armor for the arms, maybe flexible hand armor like the new kevlar handglove, maybe boots. as well as protection for the face. but its a start to protect soldiers from small arms fire.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
I think it is good that they are working on making lighter body armour for U.S troops, as it must be hell to wear a full set of heavy armour in those conditions.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think it's too little too late. Well it is late but not that late.
Looks like the armor addon protect most of the big arteries from shrapnel but where is the neck protection?
I think carbon fiber armor "shell" would be a better idea considering it's lighter than kevlar, can stop bullets, and purhaps more breathable to wear. Yes it is a lot more expensive but if the military have not wasted so much $ on failed projects... I just hope they get those out as soon as they can.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inhotep
I think it's too little too late. Well it is late but not that late.
Looks like the armor addon protect most of the big arteries from shrapnel but where is the neck protection?

look at his neck the last pic. it shows that he has neck protection. its already added to the interceptor armor long ago.

[edit on 17-10-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
They will definitely have to make it lighter for the soldiers and Marines to wear. Not only is it bulky, but add on the LBV with full combat load and the soldier will only be able to operate for an hour at a time tops.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Paint it white and we are on the way to the Imperial Stormtroopers!

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:54 PM
link   
If It can save lives or limbs im all for this new armour. The interceptor vest has already proven itself to be a live saver. The shoulder and thigh armour alone seems like it would be very smart to have without a major weight increase. Shot from the side without shoulder armour and you can easily be killed. Alot of SWAT armour now has the shoulder protection after a few swat members were killed after taking side shots from shotguns.The thigh has huge arteries wounds to them can easily be fatal.

We are going to see some impressive advancements in Body armour in the Next 10-20 years. Whole new breeds or armor Carbon nano tubes, magnetorheological (MR) fluids

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
Yes, the shoulder and thigh plates are a good addition. But you still have to take full combat load into account, but hey, if it meant saving my life I could deal with it for how ever long I would have to.

I am just waiting for the new armor to be available that will seal up a wound. That shiat looks amazing when I read about it a while back.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:17 PM
link   
I live just a few mies from this place...I know where I am headed when the you know what hits the fan

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 11:22 AM
link   
It looks very good to me, at least for skateboarding.

It would be hell to wear in Iraq!!!!!

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlackBeard
Yes, the shoulder and thigh plates are a good addition. But you still have to take full combat load into account, but hey, if it meant saving my life I could deal with it for how ever long I would have to.

There should really find ways to shave off a few pounds from a normal combat load so the shoulder and thigh thigh armour could be added with no net gain.

One thing I think they could drop is the Bayonet how often is that used in modern combat? If your hear fix bayonets in modern combat your boned. Also we have made great new lightweight materials surely they could be used in many places on a normal combat load to save weight.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX

There should really find ways to shave off a few pounds from a normal combat load so the shoulder and thigh thigh armour could be added with no net gain.

One thing I think they could drop is the Bayonet how often is that used in modern combat? If your hear fix bayonets in modern combat your boned. Also we have made great new lightweight materials surely they could be used in many places on a normal combat load to save weight.

to add body armor while getting rid of supposed unwanted items is not very easy since the standard items now on current military is pretty much all necessities. the bayonet is very important since it can be used for tools besides just stabbing someone. but as u have added new materials could replace heavy items. Camelbak hydration system instead of canteens. polymer magazines instead of aluminum. lighter BDU material. belts, vests, helmets, nightvision goggles, weapons, boots, etc.

[edit on 18-10-2005 by deltaboy]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 05:56 PM
link   
deltaboy your a proponent of the Bayonet in Modern warfare? I see your point as it being used as a tool (wirecutter is the only one that comes to mind) but as a tool in secondary roles its a pretty weak one, A custom multi tool would be far more effective.

I would much rather have a extra clips worth of ammo then a bayonet. Or a multi tool that cold do any tool job a bayonet could do better..

TPL

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I agree the bayonent went out of use when automatic rifles came into being.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 06:25 PM
link   
I don't think the pants should cover the back of the legs as much as they do, but Im no expert. Is that a very vulnerable area in combat??

I was thinking they could make some lightweight ceramic plates that could be worn like a baseball catchers shin guards.

Deltaboy, how about instead of lightening the soldiers loads they just feed them steroids and genetically engineered food to turn them into incredible hulk like monsters so they extra weight is no biggy

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by ShadowXIX
deltaboy your a proponent of the Bayonet in Modern warfare? I see your point as it being used as a tool (wirecutter is the only one that comes to mind) but as a tool in secondary roles its a pretty weak one, A custom multi tool would be far more effective.

I would much rather have a extra clips worth of ammo then a bayonet. Or a multi tool that cold do any tool job a bayonet could do better..

While it is true that if you have to resort to bayonets it is going to get messy, but I would still rather have a stabby thingy than just the butt when worst comes to worst.
At least one British unit fought its way out of the # in Iraq with their bayonets, I know I read it somewhere.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 11:04 PM
link   
Will it stop a 7.62x39, cause thats the most prevailent round out there. If it cannot stop that round, which is what AK's fire, its useless, but looks like it does. Question is, how much protection is it?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 11:08 PM
link   
looks like a rebirth of mediveal body armour in a new age, old idea new application that has been evolving but tis finally starting to be more than just a gut holder like i used to wear and it about time!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Captain_Sensible
While it is true that if you have to resort to bayonets it is going to get messy, but I would still rather have a stabby thingy than just the butt when worst comes to worst.

But would you rather have 30 more rounds then the Bayonet? You drop that weight and you can take more ammo. Thats what most people that want the bayonet gone have take its place.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:37 AM
link   
BAYONET or ONE EXTRA MAGAZINE ?

no contest IMHO give me the bayonet every time

if you could not achieve your objective with 180 rounds , will 210 REALLY make a difference ?

also how will a single extra clip help you :

control prisoners

probe for mines

force back rioters

etc etc etc

your multi tool is usefull - and should be carried in addition to the bayonet

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join