It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China will have space station before U.S./Europe Etc.

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:
apc

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:10 PM
link   
The US has reached the top of the modern day technological ladder when it comes to space travel. We are presently trying to build more rungs to step on.

China is at the bottom of the ladder. It is easy for them to climb higher... as long as they can eat.

And what benefit has come from manned space travel? Space stations? Space exploration in general? Ask your grandchildren that in 50 years. See what they have to say on the subject. Will they be starving thanks to the 12,000,000,000 fellow humans they have to share this rock with? Or will they be helping to spread humanity amongst the stars, giving our species new places to live and grow? It all has to start somewhere, sometime. The only path left for us leads up.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frosty
Maybe I ask this one more time since I think I was typing in Swahili the previous 3 times (refering to those two who attempt to answer my question)...What discoveries have been made on spacestations, have they lead to either mechanical devices or some sort of medicine?

Is the study of bodily functions in space all that has come about from being in space?

I really don't think it is too hard to understand what the question is here.

With your attitude in the thread, I must ask... are you still living in a cave?

Why bother doing any research because it costs money, that is what you are effectively trying to say.

Considering that if something were to be 'invented' on a space station in zero g, chances are it would need to be constructed in zero g (or we would have invented it already), therefore we would not really have it here earthside.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by kilcoo316

Maybe I ask this one more time since I think I was typing in Swahili the previous 3 times (refering to those two who attempt to answer my question)...What discoveries have been made on spacestations, have they lead to either mechanical devices or some sort of medicine?

Is the study of bodily functions in space all that has come about from being in space?

With your attitude in the thread, I must ask... are you still living in a cave?

Why bother doing any research because it costs money, that is what you are effectively trying to say.

Considering that if something were to be 'invented' on a space station in zero g, chances are it would need to be constructed in zero g (or we would have invented it already), therefore we would not really have it here earthside.

LOL! Youobviously haven't read a word I have typed. Open your eyes and see that I asked a question concerning what great ideas/theories/inventions have come about onboard a spacestation. LMAO! I fail to see where that has anything to do with money.

BUt if that is what is on your mind why don't you discuss that?

You said it for yourself in your last statement. Nothing in space has been produced in manned space missions worth the the risk. Your thinking as well as everyone elses is that manned missions are ok because we can make stuff here on earth.

We could make that same stuff here on earth regardless of a manned mission or not. The microprocessor was not invented because people were looking to make toasters more effective. So why continue to send men up in space to explore....when they are not exploring?

I imagine someone will have the logic of 'well, we invent other stuff here on earth'. You people who think that disgust me, absolutely. Should we have never ended WWII because of all the technology that came about as a result of the war effort? LOL! Be sensible people. Manned missions are political missions, nothing more.

apc

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Manned missions are political missions, nothing more.

I'm sure all those who have died traveling to space in the name of science are rolling in their graves.

We are still infants in the vast void of space. We have to go there to learn. If we don't put men into space, we sit here, on Earth, and die.

It's really that simple.

So we either put men into space, learn how to live in space, and then take the next steps (putting people back on the moon, Mars, and beyond), or we sit on our little island. Wondering... what else is out there? The purpose of man is not to be born, eat, and die. The purpose of man is to stretch his arms towards what he cannot reach. The purpose of man is to explore and expand.

If now is not the right time for us to do this, when will it ever be? Who cares if some of it is politically motivated. Maybe that's just what it takes to get the job done. Get these apathetic isolationists off their arses and into reality. We can't stay here forever. We have to start leaving, some time.

That time is now.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc

Manned missions are political missions, nothing more.

I'm sure all those who have died traveling to space in the name of science are rolling in their graves.

We are still infants in the vast void of space. We have to go there to learn. If we don't put men into space, we sit here, on Earth, and die.

It's really that simple.

So we either put men into space, learn how to live in space, and then take the next steps (putting people back on the moon, Mars, and beyond), or we sit on our little island. Wondering... what else is out there? The purpose of man is not to be born, eat, and die. The purpose of man is to stretch his arms towards what he cannot reach. The purpose of man is to explore and expand.

If now is not the right time for us to do this, when will it ever be? Who cares if some of it is politically motivated. Maybe that's just what it takes to get the job done. Get these apathetic isolationists off their arses and into reality. We can't stay here forever. We have to start leaving, some time.

That time is now.

And the best way to do this exploration is with a faster, cheaper and more effecient tool: the robot. Robots cost a fraction of what manned missions cost and deliver their cargo faster and can stay in orbit around a body or on a body for a very long time compared to what men could do. Imagine how much more we would know of our own planet and our solar system if NASA was alotted the same budget since the 60's without manned missions eating up any of the budget.

The current liquid fuel rockets are far too inefecient for man to do any exploration. Spacestations seemed like a great idea until everyone found out that these too were part of the political mission.

apc

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
The robotic vs. human exploration debate has been beaten to death, and in my opinion, the fleshies won.

But continue on with the belief that robots can do a better job than humans. It's not hurting anyone... yet.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   

Okay dude, I was looking on the net for Technologies developed from space and I came across this pdf file. High light and put this link in your search bar.

www.eureka.be/showcasePDF?prjId=2249

Have fun and I hope this answers your question.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join