It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A telescope , that I can see this object with !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Hello

I just need some advice when it comes to telescope.

I have checked this one Buying a Telescope !

But I need a telescope that can clearly see this object I am about to describe.

Iv been seeing this object move and stand still for many weeks now and I am trying to find out what it is. With regular binoacllors(not spelled right , but you probarly know what I mean) I cannot see the detail of the object very much.

Its 20 times smaller than the moon when I see it at a view from my window , it shines green,blue,red,yellow,white and purple and it looks like its pretty low.

Anyway , I need a telescope that can check this object , see good details on the moon and see meteors when they fall down(not so detailed though
)

Please help me

EDIT : If someone from Norway knows a good shop for this , it would be great if you could provide something

[edit on 17-10-2005 by gamerman]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Its Sirius (spelling???), the dog star. Being a double star, the light emitted is refracted strangely or something like that, making it glow different colours and look as though it is moving. I checked this out once in the space forum here.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:53 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by minimi
Its Sirius (spelling???), the dog star. Being a double star, the light emitted is refracted strangely or something like that, making it glow different colours and look as though it is moving. I checked this out once in the space forum here.

Are you sure about that ? There isent just 1 object , but sometimes 3-4 at the most.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
When and where (north, or east etc...) are you seeing that star?

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Looking at a faint light at night for a period of time could lead to auto kinesis; a phenomenon pilots learn about as part of thier dsiorientation/illusion training. This definition from a manual:

"Auto kinesis is another nighttime illusion that affects a pilot’s vision. This occurs when the pilot perceives a stationary light to be moving. This is more likely to occur if the pilot looks at the light for several minutes rather than just a glance. This moving illusion can lead the pilot to follow it visually. The cause is the brain and eye’s attempt to find some other point of reference in an otherwise featureless visual field. Prevention is the realization that the eye must focus on other objects at varying distances, not fixating on one target. In other words, do the basic scanning we were all taught when learning how to fly."

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Every time I go to bed , I see it South-East and East . Currently 4 objects now

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   
I think you are seeing the 'Pleiades' cluster, check the following pic I made.

www.air-attack.com...

Is that what you're seeing?

It's the sky over my city, at 23 PM today. You and I pretty much are on the same longitude.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 01:25 PM
link   
This is the sky over Oslo, at 23:18 tonight:

www.air-attack.com...

Again you see the cluster close to Mars. This time you also see Aldebaran, one of the brightest stars in the sky, with some other stars close by...

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:05 PM
link   
It could technically be the space station. I have heard and read from different places that the space station appears very low in the sky and can refract all different weird kinds of light because of it's angle to our atmosphere and because it's so close. Just a thought.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 05:40 AM
link   
Might be the cluster , but can it be too many of them ?

Anyway , how can I check my location ?

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'd say you should take a photo of it, even if the objects don't come out too well, you can still point out where they are and everyone can see their relation to the rest of the sky.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 10:14 AM
link   
I'd say you should take a photo of it, even if the objects don't come out too well, you can still point out where they are and everyone can see their relation to the rest of the sky.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
i doubt it will be the space station.. i watch it fly over every week!

It crosses the sky in about 5 minutes. sometimes it's high in the sky other times it's low. but it never stops moving.and is just a bright white star like colour.

It could be a geo stationary sattelite(meaning its supposed to stay in a fixed point in the sky and follow the earth when it moves) i know they always have to make course corrections..

and once i saw one and it scared the hell out of me

this huge bright thing moves left... then right..and i was about to phone the police and realised..what it was. at least im hoping thats what it was:S

it sounds like sirius to me..but if it's 4 of them your seeing..hmmz. im not sure

[edit on 18-10-2005 by clashrock]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Imo, i would get a peice of plastic sheeting (from the hobby shope), laydown in the grass, and chart out the stars in the approx area of your sighting. look for any constellations, etc. Space.com i think has a star chart.. Map it and see what you find. As far as a telescope, goes, you won't see anything, but a brighter object. Even with my 12" celestron, the moon is amazing, and with a digital camera, i can capture faint nebs.. but it won't help you see it close enough for any details

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 06:54 PM
link   
only real use for a powerful telescope is to see faint objects like nebual and distant galaxies. You can do basic star gazing with binoculars

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jehosephat
only real use for a powerful telescope is to see faint objects like nebual and distant galaxies. You can do basic star gazing with binoculars

totally!! In fact for looking at constellations and star clusters and even the milky way binoculars are your best bet.. the field of view in telescopes just isn't wide enough for

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Yeah, sounds to me like you're seeing either the Pleaides or the Hyades... Both are very near each other in the constellation of Taurus. They're also not too far from Mars and the Moon right now. Wait a couple weeks for the new Moon and the details/stars will REALLY stand out

new topics

top topics

join