It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2005..Serious Problems.and still 10 weeks to go.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Hurricanes, bird flu, earthquakes, terrorist's, bombings, murder, genoside, famine, race hate crimes, wars, need i say more.

Obviously with technology today news travels fast and we are aware of more things goin on.

But my point is theres a growing feeling among people that this year has been quite horrific and its not even over yet.
Is there any idea's as to why we are seeing such events all so closely together? I understand these issue's above have been around for thousands of years.

Im a great fan of ATS, and have read all the articles regarding all sort of theorys, idea's etc of potential explanations regarding todays state of affairs.

But would like to hear peoples comments.

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Denied]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:47 AM
link   
I think, that because of the hurricane and the war, people have just started to notice it more, when ever theres a big disaster, people tend to lok for bad things everywhere else, in my opinion, its so they can have some kind of strength, by finding something worse happening elsewhere so they can say something like "Well, atleast this is'nt/was'nt the worst thing to happen" to themselves.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:21 AM
link   
If you ask me, every year since 2001 has been just awful. In 2001 there were the 9/11 attacks and the beginning of the War on Terror. In 2002 we had the bombings in Bali which, although perhaps a minor event for Americans, was a major tragedy here in Australia. In 2003, we had the invasion of Iraq. In 2004 (just barely), we had the Asian Tsunami which literally and figuratively rocked the world. And then this year we've had bombings in London and Bali, earthquakes in Pakistan, the destruction of Hurricane Katrina and the ensuing insanity and it's not even Christmas yet.

Sigh.

Wake me up when the madness is over.

Some of these issues are linked - the bombings, for example, are a manifestation of the current security environment post-2001. I mean, maybe if it were just tsunamis and earthquakes, we would go "Wow, how unlucky were we?" But combined with prominent and deadly terrorist attacks, these events have a cumulative impact whereby people tend to blur them into one another and just assume that the world is growing more and more terrible. Having said that, I was thinking about this the other day, wondering how much of the significance of these events was due to media hyperbole. Surely some of it is to a certain extent. But then I considered the fact that I have seen things in the last couple of years that I have never seen before - look at the tsunami. Yes, they happen, but hundreds of thousands dead?
Look at the situation in New Orleans. Hurricanes are normal, but the violence and general chaos that ensued beggared belief.

Is the world getting worse? Hmmm ... it's tough to say. As you said, these things have been happening for thousands upon thousands of years. Maybe it's just that we got hit a few times and are a little punch drunk at the moment. I'm more disappointed than anything. I mean, we made it! We got to the year 2000 without blowing ourselves up! We then made it to the 21st century! I was optimistic and so were a lot of other people. And then, well you know. So I'm just going to lie down here and wait for either flying cars or the total downfall of civilisation.

Let me know how that turns out.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Come to think of it, the atmosphere WAS even more frightened in 1999. There were people running around, stockpiling MREs and water, prices were soaring, and every thunderstorm was a sign of a divine revelation or divine wrath.

We'll see this again in 2012... mark my words.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by Denied
Im a great fan of ATS, and have read all the articles regarding all sort of theorys, idea's etc of potential explanations regarding todays state of affairs.

But would like to hear peoples comments.

[probable one] Global warming triggered a large ice shelf to break off affecting a continental plate.. which in turn created a donimo effect on the others.. warmer waters also causing stronger and more frequent hurricanes and monsoons.

We are due for another ice age and we are in a transistional period.

The most extreme theory I heared recently.. the earths core has a crack in it which has caused the instability.

God is having a tantrum because he has an 'empty nest' complex.

Evil illuminati/demon crossbreds have been exploding neuclear divices on fault lines.

Aliens did it.

Reasons for religious fenatisism- first thing that comes to mind is overpopulation and resentment of capatilism. If you cram fifty rats into a shoe box they'll start eating eachother.. and they'll probably be really peeved off at whoever forced them in there in the first place [interntional policies].

[edit on 17-10-2005 by riley]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

I have wondered about this myself. Do you think that the 2012 date is sufficiently widely known that it would lead to circumstances similar to the pre-millenial jitters? I know that December 21st, 2012 will be an extremely interesting day for all of us ATSers regardless of its influence on the population more broadly.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

I just did. But I assume this was meant to be sarcastic/facetious towards the 2012 doomsayers. And I will agree. There is bound to be some preacher, prophet or cult leader waiting to bank on this year, possibly to use global warming, terrorism, etc as a backing.

I can recal some worse years such as 1994 and 1999. I think a lot of this just hits harder here in America. I mean, there always seem to be mudslides in Peru or Colombia which kill hundreds each year, an earthquake somewhere in the world that kills thousands, flooding of 1/3 of Bangladesh, war, starvation, etc. This year America experienced a hurricane it was not only not prepared for but should have been.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:52 PM
link   
It is all a big (mostly petroleum fueled) illusion. Society cannot live like this. Our homes are junk construction. Our food is grown on petro chemicals. We're over inflated, overpopulated, and fat. Our societal structure, corporations, megafarms, and suburban planning is all a pathetic joke shallowly based upon greed. 2005 is just one of the introductory years to an overall upheaval slowly building since the 50s.. I've always said 2025 will be a climax. Humanity is about to get pruned. Make it through or not, I personally cannot wait as it worsens, humanity is due a lesson. We are about to watch as fools who live in suburban flood plains drown and neighborhoods cut into cyclical forest fire territory are burned. Problems are only going to be exasperated as larger chunks of antartica (especially the west antartic ice sheet) fall off. These are the end years to a very oppulent party. Watch for a 5-10 meter sea rise. One had better begin thinking about what he/she will need when war befronts, plague is at the neighbor's door and fresh food, water, and fuel is nowhere to be found. The Mormans say to keep a year's supply of food in storage. I agree, though personally am only able to maintain 3-6 months at present. There are too many pieces falling into place. To many daunting things scripturally implied in every major religion. I see a dark age coming. Those that are left will be much fewer in number, carrying adaptive mutations to deal with pollutions, and all the wiser having lived through the collapse of a global order. New scripture will be amassed amongst the offspring of those that pass in the years 2150-2400 much like the dawn of Christianity. I see locusts swarms from South American monocrop fields. I see a return to midevil weaponry and close bloody combat in global cities. I see disease and famine in suburbia. I see a massive global population that simply cannot feed itself any longer because of irregular rainfall, natural disasters, and dependence on no longer available chemicals. I see bodies. Lots of bodies and mass graves. I see Americans being exposed as a feable people; fat, lazy, and ignorant.

If you pass, you will be diseased, carry a cancer, and succumb to grueling labor and long migrations on foot making your grandfather's "walk to school on a snow day" story look like a spring day in the park.

The Lord has knocked three times. Learn to Love and follow your inner guide or perish.

Is it going to get worse. Yes. Much worse. Several billion dead worse. Just watch. 1994 bad. 1999 bad. 2001-2007 poor. 2007, steadily worsening conditions on through 2012... we'll probably loose internet around this period along with all other commercial/mainstream communications and power... 2012-2020 global warfare is the predominant political climate. 2018 begins the plague that ends the war. 2025... those crazy folks you know with bomb shelters in the woods are well hunkered down at this point.

Watch the blizzard of January 2006 show 75 mile an hour sustained wind throughout New England for 2 days. Then 4 feet of snow in a week during the spring followed by 60 degree temperatures and flash floods. Watch as little old ladies across the norther US can no longer afford to pay the natural gas bill.

Sri Oracle

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:13 AM
link   
I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has the time to collect statistics on environmental disasters to determine if what we are seeing is extreme or not? My personal feeling is that everything is turning to custard...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 02:33 AM
link   
Has there ever been a year since the beginning of the world when those things didn't happen every year? Take my word for it, this time next you can can say the same thing. The world is a hard place.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Plazma
I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that has the time to collect statistics on environmental disasters to determine if what we are seeing is extreme or not? My personal feeling is that everything is turning to custard...

What is perhaps more important than empirical facts to support/refute whether these disasters are 'extreme' or the norm is the perception of their extremity.

There have been many examples of eras where the world is perceived to be in crisis. The mid-70s is one good example (largely due to the OPEC oil crisis), while 1968 was a year of political discontent. Further back in history, there are plenty more such examples. Historians argue whether there was a 'crisis' in the 1590s in England for instance - brought on by a combination of crop shortages and social instability.

Any sense of political and social disturbance is heightened by environment & natural disasters (and vice versa as they often go hand in hand). My own belief is that these are very very worrying times indeed. 2005 has been a dreadful year for natural disasters but Jeremiah is right, we've had a horrible few years throughout the decade. Honestly, I can't really see it getting any better.

This sense of pessimism pervades everything. We have at our disposal a huge range of technology and electrical goods that have genuinely enhanced our lives. However, we as a society no longer use the rhetoric of such technology as 'Wonders of the World' (as was common in the early part of the 20th century for example), nor as domestic wonders as in the 1950s/60s. Ours is a world of pessimistic and cynicism and unease.

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:56 AM
link   

I see a massive global population that simply cannot feed itself any longer because of irregular rainfall, natural disasters, and dependence on no longer available chemicals. I see bodies. Lots of bodies and mass graves. I see Americans being exposed as a feable people; fat, lazy, and ignorant.

If you pass, you will be diseased, carry a cancer, and succumb to grueling labor and long migrations on foot making your grandfather's "walk to school on a snow day" story look like a spring day in the park.

Sri - I'm guessing you don't get invited to many parties? I must say that you have a very morbid imagination.

I personally think of a future full of kittens frolicking on a sun-drenched lawn, while thousands of multi-coloured butterflies wheel in the air ocassionally alighting on tropical plants. I lie back on a hammock while supermodels serve me ice cold Champaign from silver trays.....

**Wakes up**

Doh! Ah well better get back to reading all those emails stacking up in my inbox.

BTW what is this 2012 thing? The Mayan calender finishes then?!? Mine finishes at the end of this year, so maybe we have less time left than we think. Oh, hang on my Windows one goes up to 2099, phew!

posted on Oct, 21 2005 @ 10:34 AM
link   

BTW what is this 2012 thing? The Mayan calender finishes then?!? Mine finishes at the end of this year, so maybe we have less time left than we think. Oh, hang on my Windows one goes up to 2099, phew!

Microsoft have done it again. Typical. You think they would have learned from the whole Y2k thing. Just think - in 95 years time, XP users will be responsible for the end of the world because they didn't upgrade.

posted on Oct, 22 2005 @ 07:51 AM
link   
yea lol my 106 year old comps just rubish now lmao

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 12:17 PM
link   
Has this year been any worse than 2005?
Or is something else brewing, or is it just paranoia??

I know this thread is old but thought it apparent as only 4 weeks left of 2006.
Are things any worse?

Or is it improving?

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 06:21 PM
link   
Theories?

Disasters, famine, death - this is nothing new in history... the things that happened recently over the past few years are NOTHING compared to things that have happened in the past: Bubonic plague, mass starvations, world wars, countless other wars; just to name a few. The world DID NOT END... I doubt it's going to happen because of a few floods and terrorist attacks.

posted on Dec, 1 2006 @ 06:27 PM
link   
Ah well If the world don't get trough the new year It will just make less resolutions to break

I think we were closer to destruction in 1962 with the cuban missile crisis under the treat of nuclear arsenals than we are under the treat of a few dirty bombs

Hold on... oh yeah! We're not even sure they can get those

You know... I think in North America the best way to know something's wrong is to go to the supermarket. I never happened to get into a Loblaws that didnt have any food left

(but im sure going to freak off if tomorrow they don't have my favorite cereals!)

new topics

top topics

join