It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google's Updated Privacy Policy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I thought many of you would find this of interest....

Google Privacy Policy Highlights, October 14, 2005:

At Google we recognize that privacy is important. This document outlines the types of personal information we receive and collect when you use Google's services, as well as some of the steps we take to safeguard information. We hope this will help you make an informed decision about sharing personal information with us...Google processes personal information on our servers in the United States of America and in other countries. In some cases, we process personal information on a server outside your own country.

It would be interesting to know specifically which countries?

[edit on 17-10-2005 by loam]

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I, too, found it interesting. I have been wondering about the security and power of Google for a while, and this certainly fuels those concerns. Here's an AP article about it...
Google Offers Glimpse at Data Collection

The statement that they have no time table on holding data I find doubtful. This is a multi-billion dollar company now, with huge institutional investors, deals with many other internet firms, and a powerful acquisitions department. I sincerely doubt that nowhere in their planning do they have a discussion of their data holdings. Very interesting stuff...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:49 PM
link   
Google censors.

And - it's happened again. Earlier today, I got Google results on searching

+oil OR gas +"seismic lens" OR "seismic lensing" +amplification OR amplify

Just now - NO results. NONE. The string is blocked, or disappeared, or whatever happens in computersearchland.

Anyone up for a protest?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Do a search for Squibs+WTC and you will get about 700 hits on google, alarmingly compared to well over 10,000 two years ago. I started a thread that somehow got sucked into BTS and died there that may be of some interest to you guys...
www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   
I have just tried a search for images, as you mention in the other thread, for "Abu Gharib" on both google.com and altavista.com... The difference is disturbing. Try it, you will be left with no doubt that google censorship is a reality. The google images are ridiculously milder.

[edit on 20-10-2005 by The_Modulus]

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 01:18 PM
link   
I have just tried oppening a picture from the search in astavista and was greeted with this:

The image I tried to access was the one entitled new-torture3.jpg

I am no expert in the way of the internet, but it seems that I was redirected through a yahoo censor. I coppied the url (all data after http%3a//) and got a 'page not found' message. I went to the website www.prensalatina.com.mx... and found it to be Cuban and unrelated to yahoo.

The interesting thing is, when I coppied the entire url (/SIG=13ocfuh8d/EXP=1129917960/**http%3a//www.prensalatina.com.mx/article.asp%3fID=%7B1248441E-9B12-4E0F-8A06-6574D6DC0CC8%7D%26ES)
it directs you to a GOOGLE search displaying 0 results for 'sig=13o1nr95h'.

Hmmm, I dont know exactly what this means, but it sure seems suspicious; does google (or the people censoring it) also censor yahoo?

posted on Oct, 20 2005 @ 07:17 PM
link   
How google censorship works...

A Google search is not simply a raw dump of a database query to the user's screen. The retrieval of the data is just one step. There is much post-processing afterwards, in terms of presentation and customization.

When Google "removes" material, often it is still in the Google index itself. But the post-processing has removed it from any results shown to the user.

Sounds pretty shady to me... Especially if the censorship is just on the client end for certain queries, that doesn't speak well for their neutrality.

From the BBC

researchers at the highly-respected Berkman Center for Internet and Society at Harvard University have found that the company is actively removing sites from its database, and that this censorship is going unnoticed.

The town of Chester, UK, apparently demanded and got Google to censor a relationship between the query "Chester Guide" and a humor site entitled "Chester's Guide to Picking Up Little Girls" as the second response after information about the town. While you can still find chester's guide on google from some queries, you can't find it by searching for anything involving the word "chester."

Here are articles from the Chester paper that brought the pressure...
Don't let those perverts win!
Google refuses to remove filth from site
Sick Website Taken Down

Here is some more information on this example
Chester's Guide to Molesting Google

Google is also being used by hackers to locate detailed information... surprise, surprise
CNET Security Watch

Be careful about using Google Desktop on shared PC's...
From PC World...

So overall it looks like even Google is corruptable on some levels... very sad

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   
*nudge*

Just want to get this rolling again. Is there anyone who can make something of that forbidden page I encountered? My html skills are left wanting...

posted on Oct, 23 2005 @ 07:22 PM
link   
Google has probably been gobbled up by the military judicial industrial complex much like Microsoft and Yahoo was. Screwem....start making terroristic threats and get those servers crankin

top topics

join