It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Potential Bird Flu in Croatia

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 07:22 AM
link   
Just heard of this today doing a Yahoo! news search:

www.alertnet.org...

It sounds like there is a potential for the presence of H5N1 in Croatia now. Nothing has been confirmed, but anomalous dead birds, migratory starlings, have been found and are being tested.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 07:26 AM
link   
Scary stuff indeed. I have been to Zagreb many times in the mid to late 70's. There was a pizza place there of all things and you could get smoked bear meat on it. Pretty darned good.

This type of report will keep cropping up IMHO as H5N1 marches its way across Europe. The next big series of reports will be from North America. I may go buy a few bags of frozen chicken as once they start culling herds. the prices are bound to skyrocket.

The article also mentions the practice of poisioning the birds so we will have to wait for the test results to be sure

ZAGREB, Oct 17 (Reuters) - Croatia has started testing dead birds found by citizens for possible avian flu, a sign of growing concern in the former Yugoslav republic, where no cases of the disease have been reported so far.

"Until recently, people simply did not notice dead birds but now they see them everywhere and immediately call the police," an agriculture ministry official told Reuters on Monday. He was commenting on a newspaper report that 10 dead starlings found near Zagreb had been sent to a veterinary institute for testing.

The starlings had no visible injuries, which prompted citizens to suspect bird flu, the Jutarnji List daily said, but added they were often poisoned by farmers defending their crop. Starlings are not regular inhabitants of wetlands but are migratory and might have been in contact with infected birds.
www.alertnet.org...

[edit on 10/17/05 by FredT]

[edit on 10/17/05 by FredT]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   

God Damnit! That is Friggin CLOSE! Croatia is our Neighbour!

I am Scared now....

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 09:55 AM
link   
yeah, no more chicken wings for me thank you

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:29 AM
link   
And in Macedonia - where 120 Domestic Dead Birds were found, reason Unknown.

In Croatia they found four near the Capital of Zagreb and they were sent for Testing...

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

In Croatia they found four near the Capital of Zagreb and they were sent for Testing...

Do you have a link? I lived in Skopje for 3 years.......

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Do you have a link? I lived in Skopje for 3 years.......

Yes - but so far I just have one Slovene Link:

www.delo.si...,396,93949

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 10:50 AM
link   
And the really bad thing is that all these birds are migrating now. And where do they go? Africa mostly. That country is just the place where it could mutate to cross the species boundry. Africa definitely doesn't need anymore diseases.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Yes, I think that sub-Saharan Africa could be the perfect place for it to mutate into something much nastier and then begin to spread.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 06:22 AM
link   
Oh Dear I feel for you Souljah and any of our other European/Asian members and visitors who are in the pathway of the "real terror threat".

This one hits home to me.My eldest daughter Krissy is Croatian. Her father Zoran, was born and bred in Zadar. My mother in law (I still call her that even though Krissys dad is dead now) is over in Zadar at the moment with my nephew "Little Zoran"......mind you he is 25 and 6 foot 4 weighs 200 plus pounds....Its his first holiday back to Croatia since he came here as a kid who couldn't even speak English.

I am so worried about them now. I know they are supposed to come back to Aus soon but not sure exactly when.

In a couple of weeks at this rate it will be lock down in Europe, nobody in or out at the rate this is going.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   

God Damnit! That is Friggin CLOSE! Croatia is our Neighbour!

I am Scared now....

Yes, and our greedy doctors bought all the Tamiflu suppllies and sold it to Croatia so now there is not a single shot of this medicine in Slovenia.

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:07 AM
link   
I actually posted this link already on bts. Here it is again. From October 14th:
Sofia News Agency: Nearly 100 Dead Birds Found in Kosovo
Not confirmed as bird flu yet, as far as I know...

I heard on the radio today that they´ve just found bird flu in Greece.
I bet Italy is next... then Spain/Portugal...then France, Belgium/Holland and UK...and then Denmark. I heard Denmark have Tamiflu for 30,000 people and just for 5-6 days...

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I belive that Mother Nature can not be Stopped here. What are we going to do? Kill ALL the Birds? And what then when the Virus jumps to Cats, Dogs, Horses, Cows, Goats? Kill them ALL?

Hellmutt, I belive your signature says it all:

As a dog shakes itself to get rid of fleas, the earth will generate earthquakes, volcanoes and climactic changes to rid itself of surplus and troublesome humans. -Sun Bear, Chippewa Medicine Man

Indeed it has Started....

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   

What are we going to do? Kill ALL the Birds? And what then when the Virus jumps to Cats, Dogs, Horses, Cows, Goats? Kill them ALL?

And what are we going to do when it start spreading between humans. If the homeless people get it first, kill the homeless? Of course not. I think we need to isolate/quarantine sick people as soon as possible. If it starts to spread from human to human, public transportation will be a place where it could spread fast. Bus/train/metro...

posted on Oct, 18 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Btw, Here´s about Greece: BBC: Bird flu is confirmed in Greece

top topics

join