It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Israel Suspends Contact With Palestinians

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:12 AM
link   
The Israeli government suspended contact with the Palestinians today after 3 young Israelis were gunned down in a drive by shooting. The Palestinian attack took place in the Gush Etzion block of settlements on Sunday and was the deadliest attack since July. The Israeli government also enacted tough travel restrictions on the West Bank.

news.yahoo.com
JERUSALEM -
Israel suspended contacts with the Palestinian Authority on Monday and slapped tough travel restrictions on the West Bank after Palestinian gunmen killed three young Israelis in two drive-by shooting near Jewish settlements.

The Palestinian attack near the Gush Etzion block of settlements on Sunday was the deadliest since July. It followed Israeli intelligence warnings that Palestinian militants, who claim they drove Israel out of Gaza by force, would now shift their focus to the West Bank. Israel pulled out of Gaza in September in a unilateral move.

The Al Aqsa Martyrs' Brigades, a militant group with ties to the ruling Fatah party, claimed responsibility. However, Israeli media quoted security officials as saying they believed the Islamic militant Hamas might have been involved.

The attacks renew international pressure on Palestinian leader Mahmoud Abbas, who meets later this week in Washington with President Bush, to crack down on militants, something he's been reluctant to do. Involvement of gunmen with ties to Fatah Sunday's attacks would underscore his failure to impose control.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I really don't understand this mindset. Why does the Israeli government want to jeapordize the gains that have been made in the past few months? Do they truly believe that the PA is responsible for every action carried out by these terrorist groups? With that logic, the Israeli government was responsible for the Israeli who gunned down Palestinians in retaliation for the Gaza withdrawal. Should the Palestinians have cut off contact with Israel over that incident?

This is just putting the entire peace process in jeapordy after a single attack by a terrorist group. If there was a sign that Abbas wasn't serious in combating the terrorists, which there is no sign hence the Gaza withdrawal, then I could understand this move. But, alas, this leaves me mouth agape.

[edit on 17/10/05 by subz]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 07:21 AM
link   
Unilateralism flares as negotations have failed. Israel blames the PA for their lack of security, which is now eluding to a civil war in Palestine. Looks like Sharon is forcing the PA into a do or die agenda.

A 4.3 quake hit Israel's West Bank town of Jericho a few days ago, nature's precursor to the main event of all out war?

[edit on 17-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
sounds good to me. not much time left if our rictor-clocks say much...

its hope-less and i have no problem saying it. for all we know, it could have been another mossad op.

we're all familiar with the concept of 'manufactured - consent'

new topics

join