It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Poverty breeds murder

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Im not sure if this is the right area to post in however:

Justread the following article on BBC news website, what do you think of its conlusions and points ?

Article on bbc.co.uk/news

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 04:44 AM
link   
bobsa,

Tell us what you think about it to get things going.....

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Ive dealt with poverty at the community level, i sat on the childrens panel, a type of court if you like that dealt with crimes againt and commited by children. I noticed that social deprevation and low levels of education in the poorest families led to annincrease in specific crimes, eg, vandalism and theft. however there tended not to be a great deal of violence involved. in families that where better of the crimes where more violent, eg. mugging, drugs related etc. The article touched very briefly on looking at underlying harms that tip the balance.

An example of this is a child who is neglected, taken of their parents and housed in a childrens home. if this child is not counseled about the events that occured there is a very high chance the child will become an offender in one way or another.

The 80's in the Uk was a boom time for the rich, but the poorest people become poorer, had less access to education and a decent level of living. I can see where the prof is coming from, but i dont think the article sheds enough light on underlying causes, it could have been more indepth.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
people get so depressed about their situations that they resort to desperate measures to get what they need to live. Its hard to make it in a system designed to kill you. And if you're "underpriveleged" thats basically what this world is.

new topics

top topics

join