It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm pissed off: De La Hoya v. Sugar Shane

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 06:38 PM
link   
The fact that this sport is now controlled by money and rich business man pisses me off. It's not really sport anymore, the real athlete are let aside. I'm sure Delahoya deserved to win, I've seen him a couple of time, and he sure kick ass. Lot's of # is going on behind the curtains, in the boxe industry. In a couple of years it'll be as fake as wrestling.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Unfortunately us Englanders rarely get the decent fights on TV, unless of course you fancy paying �20 to watch Lennox.

Anyway, my reply here is mainly aimed at the Rugby/American Football comments. I play both sports and have done semi-professionally and so would like to think I have a good knowledge of both sports respectively.

Anyone who watches them or casually has thrown a ball around can easily speak their mind, but unless you've played both I think it is unfair to call one nation's national sport a pansy game.

American football is by far rougher, and can you guess why, the body armour. Since we are more physically padded for American football, we can hit harder and push our defensive tackling more so than in rubgy. No idiot no matter how many pints he has had will go head first with an offensive runner in a rugby match unless you want a nice concussion and a broken nose.

Rugby is alot more enduring, the lack of timeouts and play breaks means you are always on the move. I like rugby for this reason, as I like football for the opposite reason. I certainly would agree you need bigger balls to play rugby though, no padding means a higher likelihood of injury.

In the end though, they are both awesome and exciting games for their respective gameplay. Remember, depending on where you grow up or happen to live, the chance of playing one or the other is difficult, so don't put down people for having a lack of choice on what is on the national sports channels.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I know what you mean Colonel!! I almost threw my TV out the window!!! I couldn't believe it. Of all the years Ive been watching boxing this desicion was just as bad if not worse than the Lewis-Holyfield fiasco in NY. I was scoring the fight at home and I had it 116-112 with De La Hoya winning by UD. I am extremely pi$$ed off!!! Hell even Shane Mosley knew he didn't win the fight by the looks the people in his corner had. Let me make this clear..... THERE IS NO WAY IN GOD'S GREEN EARTH THAT SHANE MOSLEY WON THAT FIGHT!!! Descisions like these make me ashamed of being a boxing fan. DE LA HOYA WAS ROBBED!!!!

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ocelot
Descisions like these make me ashamed of being a boxing fan.

Totally understand what you mean. I hate the fact the sports in general, some more or less than others, are totally driven by money.

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 08:02 AM
link   
.......The Holyfield at the Olympics travesty? Hows about Roy Jones Jr.? If the sport can't be regulated as a point of international competition, what faith have you for the real money making portion of it!?!

Aaaahhh, football. To be a scouted prospect again.....sitting in skull sessions, watching film, being at such an adrenalin overload that you can fly ( over puzzy DB's trying to cut your knees in the open field, or HB's & Tackles trying to pick you up on a blitz), taking barbaric glee in knocking the beejebus out of people; not breaking them, per say, just clean sticking. 18 years later and I still get goose pimples over remembering a certain run where I steamrolled several would be tacklers...I did not score; the thrill comes from decimating the opposition on the way to a big gain.

Colonel: you should give big ups to Rugby...it is American rules daddy, after all. And it's fun! Just like the tackle football you played as a kid...without the huddles.
Now Australian rules....that's some weird shyte! Looks like fun, but weird!

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 08:34 AM
link   
Boxing = what a load of crap, everyone should boycott it for the next few months so that the big boys make no money, just to show we wont put up with all these fixed results.

Rugby vs American football = Coming from NZ i have a bias (sp) few, but in the short time i have been in the states, i have gotten into Collage football, Rugby i feel is a more flowing and consistant game with action for 80 minutes straight, were as Amercan football is stop start stop start.

For all the rugby heads here in the US, here is foxsports world's time table for coverage of the up coming Rugby world cup. www.foxsportsworld.com...

Oh and Colonel, yes 7's is chaotic, but if you find the time, sit down and watch one of the world cup games whitch are 15 a side with eather NZ, Australia, England or South Africa Playing and you will see what Alien means about the structure of the game.

[Edited on 15-9-2003 by seedy_sid]

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 08:47 AM
link   
Bummer. I didn't see the fight but hate to hear DeLaHoya lost. It wouln't be the first fight he technically won and was handed over to another. Anyone remember his 1999 fight against Felix Trinidad? He outscored him smartly but in his attempt to put on a true boxing exhibition, he failed to impress judges which made a very bad decision. Of course Don King was in on the whole thing so go figure. In my opinion, if Don King would put half the effort into effectively managing his fighters legit as he does in skirting the rules as well as the law, he'd only have to work half as hard and be twice as successful. Too bad that fact fails to dawn on some but the bad thing is the smear he has brought to the entire world of pro boxing.

Some links on Don King..
www.sportslawnews.com...

www.mugshots.net...

Back to the fight at hand...

"I just feel in my heart the decision should have gone to me. On Monday I will put a full investigation into what happened. I'm fortunate I have the resources to put the best lawyers on it. �
� Oscar De La Hoya

espn.go.com...

posted on Sep, 15 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
I didn't see the fight but my friend that i had lunch with did. It's all he talked about. he said DeLaHoya should have won but he didn't.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join