It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm pissed off: De La Hoya v. Sugar Shane

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:34 AM
link   
Did anyone see that fight???? I know you dweebs don't watch boxing but, then, again, I grew up with boxing and I was never a dweeb. THIS IS SOME BULL#! De La Hoya won but they gave it to Sugar Shane! Everyone said he won! I'm glad I didn't be tonight! Now, I'm watching Sugar on ESPN News at the after fight conference "acting" like he won.

George Foreman saw the fight and he said De la Hoya won but the decision was a "message" to Bob Arum. (This is conspiracy #, people). Larry Merchant, the prick (I ALWAYS hated him), said noooo. Foreman stopped smiling and looked like he was gonna kick his monkey ass. Foreman said, " Look, you just WATCH boxing. I've been in the game."

(Second sentence is a paraphrase)

This is complete bull#! John McCain was there and I think he needs to bring legislation into boxinbg to make it a pure sport like it used to be (maybe bring back the 15 round fights). Now, we have fake decisoins and champions in the tuffest profession on the planet will get just rewards for their efforts--even the small guys.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:35 AM
link   
I know what you mean

I wanted Mosley to win but not like that.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:37 AM
link   
People are throwing chairs and beer bottles after the fight.. I 'm watching it now...Girls are getting hit.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:38 AM
link   
I put my mnoney on De la Hoya. I won money the last time in the first fight. But, knowing the Golden Boy, he wouldn't allow it to happen again. And he didn't. He fought every round smart, hard, like a champion. Sugar started fighting in the 12th.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:40 AM
link   
De La Hoya's talking now. He's getting his lawyers on the case and I'm proud that I am one to represent like this.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:49 AM
link   
tHIS IS A BIG DEAL! De la Hoya is calliing for an investigation! This is big news! John McCain (a real man) was at the fight. I gues you people don't watch football either.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 12:56 AM
link   
This is some bullsh!t. Ill, you still down with me. You just need to speak up more. I guess Boxing and football is a bit too manly for most people on this site. Maybe, me and Skadi can talk about it.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 01:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel
I guess Boxing and football is a bit too manly for most people on this site.

...sorry...I just got back a while ago from playing Rugby League...guess some were too busy out walking it while others sat around talking it...

Rigged boxing doesn't surprise me at all...gees I've seen some rigged fights before, totally screws the pooch...I'll have to see if I can catch the fight you speak of tonight on Sky or something...

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Don't do rugby--never wanted to do rugby. Chaotic sports with no strategized plan with biting in a scrunch (sp) and the like doesn't work for me.

Even boxing is a strategic game. I was i Hong Kong watching the Rugby 7s in 1998 and I tried to get into it. But, to a football man (a linebacker), it looked like mass confusion. There was no thinking involved (but for who si the faster guy and who is the bigger guy). No strategy. Just dudes running around throwing an oversiized ball.

It never interested me.

Now, when you're in the trenches in football (line of scrimage), how do you beat the guy in front of you who is bigger and stronger than you. Took a few lessons to learn that. And if you win, is he running a counter just to get you out of the way in the backfield or is the other guard pulling to knock you oout of the play.

That's what monster linebackers think about. Not just running around like savages.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 02:08 AM
link   

Rugby always looks confusing to an American Football player...I'd suspect Tiddly Winks would also look confusing to an American Football player...

Rugby League might be more the American Footballs style...as Rugby Union is in fact a more 'thinking' ball game. There are set moves, there are sequences...its just that Rugby Players have the ability to apply their brain, think on the fly and not have to stop after each 'down', gather in a little circle, pat eachothers butts, have a little chin-wag about what they are gonna do next, line up, get all adjusted and THEN start playing again. Nor do we need to be wussy-boys and have separate Offensive/Defensive Teams...if you can't handle breaking bones, or getting yours broken, then keep your pansy hands off the dang ball...

...as for which game is 'harder'...well, one wears a buttload of pads and a helmet, the other does not...pretty sure that says it all...

[Edited on 14-9-2003 by alien]

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by alien

...as for which game is 'harder'...well, one wears a buttload of pads and a helmet, the other does not...pretty sure that says it all...

I say thee nay. American football is harder. Besides actually thinking, you can hit the opponet as hard as you want b/c of the pads. Little do we know that they only protect so much--hence all the drugs and pain killers they pump into a football player.

In rugby, you can only hit so hard---not much--because when you hit, you don't do it so hard beacause you get hurt too. There is no illusion of pads there.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 02:21 AM
link   
...just editted my reply to include a bit more about set-plays etc in Rugby.

But if you think Rugby Union or Rugby League players DON'T lay the mean bumps on any opposition player...riiiiiiight...mustn't play the game. Actually we do...oh hell yeah we do...coz whats a bit a bit of blood and concussion between friends.

Having played supposedly 'hard' American Footballers in League, I can tell you they were pretty good...for a short while...but when it comes to having to haul it and maul it for 2 sets of 40 minute stretches, they tend to peter out after the first 10-20 minutes...or first coupla full-noise shoulder charged 'welcome to it' hit-ups.

Oh yeah...we don't muck around on our League Field...

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 02:28 AM
link   

...just editted my reply to include a bit more about set-plays etc in Rugby.

But if you think Rugby Union or Rugby League players DON'T lay the mean bumps on any opposition player...riiiiiiight...mustn't play the game. Actually we do...oh hell yeah we do...coz whats a bit a bit of blood and concussion between friends.

Having played supposedly 'hard' American Footballers in League, I can tell you they were pretty good...for a short while...but when it comes to having to haul it and maul it for 2 sets of 40 minute stretches, they tend to peter out after the first 10-20 minutes...or first coupla full-noise shoulder charged 'welcome to it' hit-ups.

Oh yeah...we don't muck around on our League Field...

Oh, I forget. You're from NZ. I also remebered in Hong Kong that you people & Aussies were crazy. I ain't doing none of that sh!t. I'll save the concussions for the movies. I want to have children.

Ok, you got me.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 02:31 AM
link   
Oh, but you gotta lay off that "mean bumps" thing. It just doesn't sound right here. Try "bringing the pain--express delivery." Yeah, that sounds better.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 02:41 AM
link   
'mean bumps'...yeah, you got me on that one...sounds like something some guy would say about a tasty lass walking past on a beach..

'Bring the Pain'...gonna have to use that next time. Either that or 'Bring the Painkillers'...as right now I'm sporting a nice egg sized lump on my forehead from collecting a knee in a tackle...and a freaky yellow/black bruise covering my right shoulder blade and down along the right side of my rib-cage...would explain the difficulty in breathing...

Though the 'injury count' during a few of todays games was:

- lost teeth and cut upper lip
- numerous split scalps
- one torn ear-lobe
- suspected fractured forearm
- some poor dude who didn't even recognise his wife after the match, he was that out-of-it from getting speared in a tackle...

...so a bump and a bruise might be considered lucky...

Oh, just so ya know, I'm not seriously ragging on American Football players...just good natured teasing...anyone with the stones enough to get on a Football field, be it American or Union or League, and go hardcore has my respect...

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 03:01 AM
link   

'Bring the Pain'...gonna have to use that next time. Either that or 'Bring the Painkillers'...as right now I'm sporting a nice egg sized lump on my forehead from collecting a knee in a tackle...and a freaky yellow/black bruise covering my right shoulder blade and down along the right side of my rib-cage...would explain the difficulty in breathing...

Though the 'injury count' during a few of todays games was:

- lost teeth and cut upper lip
- numerous split scalps
- one torn ear-lobe
- suspected fractured forearm
- some poor dude who didn't even recognise his wife after the match, he was that out-of-it from getting speared in a tackle...

...so a bump and a bruise might be considered lucky...

See, this is the part where I say school education is a good thing. I'll be the best student. I ain't losing a tooth for any mother fuuu-ker, or an ear, or whaatever.

How the hell are you supposed to hook up with the chicks if you look like the almost undead with a broke up smile?

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Hey, I watched the fight myself along with my grandpa and we were completely pissed, but I'd like to bring in another point that you might have overlooked... Observe:

After the first fight of the night there was a six round fight between two people that I can't remember the names for and am too lazy to go to HBO PPV website to look up... they fought and had like 6-7 rounds to go (which would have translated into about 30-40 minutes) and they "stopped the fight because he had enough" - amazingly they said that Mosley would walk out at 8pm PT 11pm ET.... if they had of continued fighting (the undercard) then the fight would have been delayed, but conveniently Mosley walked out RIGHT ON TIME. I think the second fight was rigged as well.

Now about the meat and potatoes of the matter.... "Sugar" Shane Mosley is a great fighter, no doubt. He has done some things no one else could ever do, and he has made some great accomplishments in his life. On the other hand, he is NOT capable of defeating Oscar De La Hoya... just.... impossible. Oscar was on top of his game tonight, and I knew that when I saw him throw 67 jabs after 2 rounds... he did the 35 jabs per round that he said he wanted to do halfway through the match.... he got "accidently headbutted" tonight... yeah I think that slowed him down a little because he was worried the doc would call him out b/c of an injury so he stopped jabbing and started guarding... but he STILL won every single round except one (my scoring). I even gave him a 10-8 in the round he got headbutted b/c I felt that it was not really accidental and I thought a judge or two might feel the same way. Hmm.... Then we get a big 115-113... which is what I expected. In favor of OSCAR and NOT "Surgar" SHANE. Hmm... I smell a rat. You know what I think? I think it was a setup and no matter if Oscar had of K.O.'d Shane the ref or the judges or Michael Buffer would have come up with some way to disqualify, postpone, or otherwise throw the fight to a draw or in Mosley's favor. I suspected it all along, somewhere about Wednesday.. (I get visions from the future sometimes) and it was confirmed for me that something was going on when the second bout was called off.

My grandfather used to be a boxer... he fought pretty well in the amateurs... he agreed with every single word that Big George said about you don't know boxing unless you're in boxing. He was so mad. He scored it 116-112 Oscar... and he said Oscar had it by at least 2 points if the judges were completely BLIND. Well turns out my grandfather is highly pissed off and probably still tossing and turning tonight about that fight.

He also said he'd like to see the original 15 round championship bouts and 12 round regular bouts reinstated... that was more real and most of the time did away with a lot of decisions... decisions are not good. I'd rather see a Technical Knock Out instead of a decision... I'd rather see someone throw in the towel than a decision, but because of the structuring (which is primarily so that fights can be more controlled now) you always get decisions... 90% or more of bouts are decisions... (And yes nearly 80% of all statistics are made up on the spot and that one was one of them... correct me if I'm wrong)

I'm mad!

I hope to God above that Oscar gets this straightened out because now the one blemish on his record is now a huge conspiracy and he is not happy...

I am with Oscar and I'd sign a petition... which, we need to do and turn into the world boxing authority.

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 05:37 AM
link   
im with you guys. i watched the fight with my buddies and we all came to the same conclusion right after they gave the fight to mosley that the whole thing was set up. there aint no way in hell sugar shane won that fight. i couldnt believe my eyes. i thought for sure they were going to give it to oscar.. no brainer right... oh boy was i wrong. i was just as shocked as you all and believe me im sure most of the viewers of this match were shocked too. oscar fought with some extreme intelligence. now the question remains (since the fight was obviously set up) what do you all see as the real reason they set it up this way... besides the obvious... why? whats the point?

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 05:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by krossfyter
im with you guys. i watched the fight with my buddies and we all came to the same conclusion right after they gave the fight to mosley that the whole thing was set up. there aint no way in hell sugar shane won that fight. i couldnt believe my eyes. i thought for sure they were going to give it to oscar.. no brainer right... oh boy was i wrong. i was just as shocked as you all and believe me im sure most of the viewers of this match were shocked too. oscar fought with some extreme intelligence. now the question remains (since the fight was obviously set up) what do you all see as the real reason they set it up this way... besides the obvious... why? whats the point?

Sugar Shane would never get a big money fight again. The Golden Boy always could. Hell, He if he loses the court battle, he will demand a rematch NOW. Big pay-money event.

But if Sugar Shane lost, well, an articulate, educated, skilled fighter that ALSO lost like to Verrnon Forrest twice, beaten literally like a child, will be sent to the second tier to be heard from never again.

Looks like the gangsters of boxing are having difficulties (Bob Arum v. Don King). Met Don king once at Morton's. Very powerful man.

[Edited on 14-9-2003 by Colonel]

posted on Sep, 14 2003 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel

Originally posted by krossfyter

Sugar Shane would never get a big money fight again. The Golden Boy always could. Hell, He if he loses the court battle, he will demand a rematch NOW. Big pay-money event.

But if Sugar Shane lost, well, an articulate, educated, skilled fighter that ALSO lost like to Verrnon Forrest twice, beaten literally like a child, will be sent to the second tier to be heard from never again.

Looks like the gangsters of boxing are having difficulties (Bob Arum v. Don King). Met Don king once at Morton's. Very powerful man.

[Edited on 14-9-2003 by Colonel]

so this was set up to bring this cats together again to generate more money... thats basically what you are saying right? even though oscar said at the end of the fight that he got beat twice by the guy and therefore there wouldnt be a reason to fight again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join