It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Considers Rape Charges Against Men Who Pay For Sex

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 12:23 PM
link   
Just because this subject is 'difficult' does not mean we should tolerate the coersion, slavery and it's implications regarding a significant number of women in our society, IMO.

Just because 'johns' might have trouble working out who is being forced into that line of work and who isn't, tough.
That is no excuse for them then to forget all about that and carrying on with what is, I agree, effectively the rape of a woman.

It is also true many of those women are here under false pretences (often having been made all sorts of promises by 'people trafficers' when they were in their own country) so they have a natural reluctance to simply 'walk into the nearest Police station' (especially those from countries with a harsh and brutal 'justice & Police system').

Then there is the small matter of the threats usually made to intimidate those who have family back home to be thinking about.

Besides the risk of violent personal pyhsical abuse it simply isn't as simple as just walking out of that kind of life.
(I have heard a severe beating is often given before starting this kind of work, to intimidate and terrorise, just so the women know what they can expect if they 'get any ideas'.)

I am all for a legalised, regulated and health-conscious 'sex trade' where people freely act as they choose and workers and clients can be safe and proper members of our society without needing to flee to the lawless margins.
The European model seems to make a lot of sense to me.
High standards of public sexual health are a growing social concern for everybody.
I have no problem with 'the world's oldest profession' at all, provided those engaged in it are not being coerced into behaviour they would otherwise not do.

This situation is about as far away from that kind of 'system' as it is possible to imagine......

.....and IMO men who are either too dumb or horribly uncaring to have any interest or clue as to what has been going on lately regarding trafficed women and this blatent sex-slavery deserve everything the law can throw at them.

(.....and I wonder how many of them have mothers, wives, daughters they'd rather lay down their lives and die before they'd see them treated in such a way.

Yeah, that's right; just about every last one of them.)

[edit on 17-10-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I would have to agree with the majority around here on both sides.

Make it legalized with guidelines and what not, have like a Prostitutes Local Union and what not.

Is what SHOULD happen is they should start really hunting down these traffickers and really lay into them. I know that the sex slavery is extremely bad over in Europe and other countries. Makes me extremely sick.

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   
The problem here is that the law is going after the wrong people. It's a bit like going after the firearms manufacturers when a gun is used to rob a bank. The John didn't force the girl into prostitution. He isn't guilty of anything illegal.

It seems the government in cases like these (and there are many) is too lazy or incompetent to go after the real criminal, so they go after someone they can catch and prosecute, even though they've done nothing illegal. It's ridiculous!

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I agree that prostitution should be government regulated like in the Netherlands, so that the workers have regular check ups and protected sex is the law etcetera.
I think that the sex slave trade should be utterly destroyed and I think that a regulated industry would help that cause because then you would know where the legal brothels are and if you come across an unlicensed premises you could come down like a ton of bricks on the owners.

www.worldsexguide.org...

posted on Oct, 17 2005 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Prostitution isn't going away,ever. But how is a john supposed to know who is a free-willed pro and who isn't? Make it a legal business with guidelines,ect. Isn't that easier than charging every man who pays for sex with rape?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join