It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: World Leaders Demand End To U.S Blockade Of Cuba

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:05 AM
link   
A statement from 17 World leaders has demanded that the United States comply with 13 successive UN resolutions and end its blockade of Cuba. A similarly worded draft from Portugal, Spain and Latin American Foreign Ministers drew the ire of the U.S embassy who interpreted the statement as a "kind of support for the dictatorship in Cuba."

news.yahoo.com
SALAMANCA, Spain - Leaders of the world's Spanish- and Portuguese-speaking countries demanded on Saturday that the United States abide by U.N. resolutions to end its "blockade" against Cuba, in a resolution that earlier drew criticism from the U.S. government.

The U.S. Embassy in Madrid objected to the use of the word "blockade" instead of "embargo" in the statement by the 17 leaders present at the annual Iberoamerican summit. Spanish officials countered that "blockade" had been used in U.N. resolutions as well.

"We call on the United States of America to comply with that laid down in 13 successive resolutions approved by the General Assembly of the
United Nations, and to bring an end to the economic, trade and financial blockade it maintains against Cuba," one of a set of final statements said.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I wasn't aware that the blockade of Cuba was still ongoing. This is appalling to hear and that the United States is again flouting the will of the World (13 successive times on this one issue alone) is infuriating.

The U.S embassy missed a bit off from its statement regarding the draft. When they said that the statement was "kind of support for the dictatorship in Cuba." They should of said "kind of support for the dictatorship in Cuba that we don't like." We all know that support for dictatorships IS acceptable to Washington as both American allies, Pakistan and Uzbekistan, are both well recognized dictatorships.

What gives the United States the right to blockade a sovereign nation like this? Absolutely none that's why, and they wonder why the World does not like the American government!

Disgusting.

[edit on 16/10/05 by subz]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Forgive me if I'm mistaken, but to the best of my knowledge, the only "blockade" on Cuba is one being imposed on American traffic bound for that nation. That is not, in the strictest sense, a blockade, but merely an embargo; hence the US's objection.

I will read into this a little more to confirm what I am saying (I could, hypothetically, be wrong for the first time in my life).

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
Its an embargo because Cuba wouldn't join the US republic...so America tried to starve them into death..

Anyways, nothing will come of this, the yanks will just ignore it

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:23 AM
link   
The American consternation doesn't surround the use of the word "blockade" but the fact that its being told what to do.

The word "blockade" was a matter of controversy but that was resolved by qualifying the use of the word by adding "economic, trade and financial blockade" which is accurate. Although the emotive word does conjure up scenes reminiscent of the Cuban Missile Crisis. The Spanish Prime Minister Zapatero said that similar wording ("blockade") had previously been used in UN resolutions concerning the matter so its use of the word should not be an issue.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:30 AM
link   
why exactly should we listen and be nice to cuba? while castro is in power (or the communists period) i see no good reason to do anything which will make them stronger.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
why exactly should we listen and be nice to cuba? while castro is in power (or the communists period) i see no good reason to do anything which will make them stronger.

Stronger?

you've been listening to Bush way too much. Do a history lesson and you will see that America only took action cause Cuba didn't want to become a state...

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Its an embargo because Cuba wouldn't join the US republic...so America tried to starve them into death..

Anyways, nothing will come of this, the yanks will just ignore it

no, they nearly caused ww3, thats enough reason they should rot till the communists get out.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   

Stronger?

you've been listening to Bush way too much. Do a history lesson and you will see that America only took action cause Cuba didn't want to become a state...

....dont make me laugh...you need a history lesson, not me bud.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:38 AM
link   

no, they nearly caused ww3, thats enough reason they should rot till the communists get out.

*yawns*

got to love Americans

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   

So the true colours of the issue emerge, its not that they are a dictatorship at all. Its that they have dared to confront the United States in the past. Right up there with the petulant Iranians wanting an end to a corrupt monarchy, contrary to the United States wishes.

I've just been doing a little light research into how the U.S State Department describes Cuba and I found this little interesting document:

From the State Department archives
Secretary Rice Appoints New Transition Coordinator for Cuba

July 28 2005

In July 28 remarks at the State Department, Rice recalled that President Bush created the commission to "accelerate the demise" of tyranny on the island nation. Cuba has been ruled for decades by dictator Fidel Castro.

With $59 million in funding, the commission is "empowering Cuban civil society to better organize and advocate for democratic change," Rice said. "To direct our government's actions in support of a free Cuba, I am appointing Caleb McCarry to serve as our Cuba transition coordinator."

The new coordinator "brings to this job a lifetime of experience and expertise in Latin American affairs," she added. "With Caleb's help and the help of others in this room, the United States is going to hasten the coming of the day when a free Cuba is no longer a dream, but a reality."

usinfo.state.gov...

Oh dear, that would be American sponsored sedition. This violates the UN charter and numerous international laws. I thought the United States was meant to be a civilized country. Inciting rebellion is so early 20th century

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:42 AM
link   

*yawns*

got to love Americans

typical anti-american arrogance

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:54 AM
link   
It's those damned bankers. No pun intended. All went to kazi# when the Federal reserve was turned over to them. All modern wars, "embargos", conflicts can be traced to these greedy rat bastards. Not to say that they didn't have a "hand" in other pre-modern conflicts. They should be paid their 450 million to leave the industry and turn it over to Congress, rather than face war crimes. It is for their own good, but like a crack addict, they rather die the real death and drag their offspring with them than give up the monopoly of generating wealth out of paper and no labor.

Rothschild, a London Banker, wrote a letter saying "It (Central Bank ) gives the National Bank almost complete control of national finance. The few who understand the system will either be so interested in its profits, or so dependent on its favours, that there will be no opposition from that class... The great body of the people, mentally incapable of comprehending, will bear its burden without complaint, and perhaps without even suspecting that the system is inimical (contrary) to their interests." [The bankers created the legislation for the FED]

[edit on 16-10-2005 by IComeWithASword]

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 04:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by subz

yea iran spys on us and based nuclear weapons and enemy troops in position to attack us...mmhmm iran is the same is it?

so you wish to ignore dictators because the UN doesnt like it? yea you sure care about freedom dont you.... no wonder so many dictators arent punished untill they oppress for decades or untill losing power, great job, really.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:06 AM
link   

Stronger?

Ever hear of the Cuban Missile Crisis? Didn't think so. Maybe you're the one who needs a history lesson.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:16 AM
link   

yea iran spys on us and based nuclear weapons and enemy troops in position to attack us...mmhmm iran is the same is it?

That's not a similarity I was highlighting. It was the Russians who placed the nuclear weapons on Cuba, not the Cubans. Also the Americans were the ones who attacked Cuba, remember the Bay of Pigs? How quick the collective mind forgets the facts.

Also have you bothered to read about Operation Northwoods? The United States Joint Chiefs were devising a cassus belli for invading Cuba. One of the methods they advised President Kennedy of was painting an American fighter jet to look like a Cuban MIG and shoot down an either fake or real American commercial jet with preferably College-age American kids in it for added impact.

Operation Northwoods - Top Secret
13 March 1962

Memorandum for the Secretary of Defence

Subject: Justification for U.S military intervention in Cuba (TS)
1. The Joint Chiefs of Staff have considered the attached Memorandum for the Chief of Operations, Cuba Project, which responds to a request of that office for brief but precise description of pretexts that would provide justification for U.S military intervention in Cuba.

www.gwu.edu...

Who was the aggressor again?

so you wish to ignore dictators because the UN doesnt like it? yea you sure care about freedom dont you.... no wonder so many dictators arent punished untill they oppress for decades or until losing power, great job, really.

I wish to ignore dictators? No, I wish to end punishing entire nations due to their form of government. Remember, economic sanctions do nothing to harm the leaders, its the people who suffer. Rest assured Castro isn't personally impacted in the slightest due to the U.S economic embargo on his country.

Also who the hell is the United States to deny trade to Cuba on the grounds that its a dictatorship? I've said it already in this thread that both Pakistan and Uzbekistan receive American aid and funding and both are fully fledged dictatorships! Saudi Arabia is an undemocratic, dictatorial monarchy yet enjoys a warm relationship with Washington and in particularly the freedom crusader himself, George W. Bush.

I do care about freedom but realize that this issue has absolutely nothing to do with freedom. If Castro backed the United States in the UN and was a capitalist dictator you could bet your bottom dollar the United States would not bat an eyelid over Castro's dictatorial powers.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Ah the glories of revionist historians :shk:

The US has had an imbargo on Cuba in place for some time. Clearly the economic benifits of trade with Cuba would be but a blip in our nations GDP. So is it realy the money or a principled stand.

What gives the United States the right to blockade a sovereign nation like this? Absolutely none that's why, and they wonder why the World does not like the American government!

This is why the US Embassy protested the use of the term. There is not a blockade of ships surrounding Cuba as you seem to be implying above. The US as a soverign nation and as such can simply refuse to trade be it technology or food etc. Most European govenrments do trade with Cuba hence the cigars a Harrods etc.

Does not the EU embargo North Korea? They were supposed to embargo Iraq too but we all know how well that one went.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:32 AM
link   
If you feel like a laugh, I suggest you read this document which is actually linked in the United States State Departments official website. Its hilarious.

From SABIA VD. QUE?

Think its hard to vote in Florida?
If you ballot looked like this, would you want to vote?

sabiausted.pdf

This is the best sedition US$59 million can buy? Come on! They can do better than that cant they?

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by USAF6933

Ever hear of the Cuban Missile Crisis? Didn't think so. Maybe you're the one who needs a history lesson.

i have and did during my history lessons,
but it didn't include the American propaganda twist to it.

typical anti-american arrogance

arrogance - overbearing pride evidenced by a superior manner toward inferiors..

Did i say anything along those lines?...didn't think so

Still, this all goes back to Cuba not wanting to be apart of the US republic, bet you didn't learn that part in history?

Cuba was one of the first nations offering help for hurricane katrina and you rejected it, so how they be "evil communists"

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:39 AM
link   
Who's history should we rely on, Fred? His story, her story, my story. The victors write the history, an old cliche but true. Say, I should work on my "history."
Sink another Atlantis for show.

posted on Oct, 16 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
Ive come up with my own sedition piece. I'm alot cheaper than $58 million as well if theres any nations with regime change on their minds out there

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join