It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Wilma - Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded!

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   
This is total Crap. I'm supposed to see Cephalic Carnage and The Black Dahlia Murder on Friday. Will I have time to leave?!! I live in Tampa/Pinellas. I hate Florida. Stupid hot sticky hurricane weather.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Good luck whoever gets involved - Stay Safe

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitsunegari
hmm, since this season is tied with 1933, could we be going in cycles with this horrible weather? stuff all over the world has been happening this year, was it the same in 1933? hmm...

YES

People are so quick to attribute all of this to global warming but, it's not that at all.
The last cycle we had was in the 60s. This one started in 1995.
They can last up to 20 years...so we could see 10 more years of active hurricane seasons.

As far as Wilma, I am so glad it's this intense now and has reached it's peak already. That means from here on out, it'll be weakening. If this strengthening happened as it threatened land, whoever would be in the way would be in trouble. It'll probably still hit land as a major hurricane, but it won't be nearly as intense as it is now.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
Geez...how many are there of us in Tampa Bay? We must be the conspiracy capital of the US, hehe....

Anyhoo, Friday plans should still be ok...

Personally, I'm still going to Orlando on an already planned trip Friday. I had planned on driving back Saturday early afternoon, but I may just end up staying in Orlando an extra day....

No Rochester trip for me this time.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
They are showing a slight decrease in wind speeds..

Here is the link.

www.nhc.noaa.gov...

I slim ray of hope..Or as the article says,

"FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE COMMON
IN HURRICANES OF THIS INTENSITY"..???

Coho

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
hola amigos
just to let you know that so far here in cancun we all are getting ready for Wilma, I know that Wilma have lots of rain , and thats our main concern due to the fact that any little rain cuase flooding here at cancun.
I will try to keep posting the avance of Wilma as far its go by this area , well only if i still be able to conect to internet.
see you all soon amigos !!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 03:13 PM
link   
Panic, Panic, Don't Panic!!!!

Now I'm considering putting off the shutters at gran's house till tomorrow, wait and see attitude like everybody else I guess???

Dr. Jeff Masters Wunderblog
Where will Wilma go?
There is now a high degree of uncertainty in the forecast for Wilma. A major shift in the model guidance occurred with the just completed 12Z (8 am) runs. Three of the top models--the GFS, GFDL, and UKMET models--now show that the trough of low pressure that was expected to pull Wilma sharply northwards and then northeast across Florida is progressing slower than expected, and will not dig as far south. If this forecast verifies, it would be very bad news for Mexico. Wilma may not pass east of Mexico through the Yucatan Channel as originally thought, and may instead make a landfall on the Yucatan Peninsula near Cozumel or Cancun Island on Thursday night or Friday morning, probably as a Category 4 hurricane.

However, this would be very good news for Florida. Any encounter with the Yucatan Peninsula would cause a serious disruption of the hurricane, and make it unlikely that Wilma could affect Florida as a major hurricane. A hit on southwest Florida as a Category 1 or 2 hurricane would be most likely, and the arrival of the hurricane would be delayed until Sunday. It is quite possible that Wilma would not affect Florida as a hurricane at all; the GFDL model forecasts that Wilma will spend three days over Mexico and emerge off the coast as a tropical storm and pass south of Cuba. So, if I lived in Florida and was thinking about evacuating today, I would wait another day and see what the forecast tomorrow brings. Keep in mind, though, that the NOGAPS model, which is one of the top four models for tracking hurricanes, is still showing that Wilma will pass through the Yucatan Channel and a make landfall in southwest Florida as a major hurricane. The Canadian model is showing this as well.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
They've already started evacuating the Keys....so I've heard.

Let us know what happens in Cancun!

[edit on 19-10-2005 by Gazrok]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Yes, keep us informed jorgecancun, infórmanos...

And keep safe.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Boy that sounds hairy down there in Cancun! Stay safe man, don't end up being one of those "we'll ride it out with no problem" casualties!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Im in Ft. Myers just north of Naples and quite a few gas stations are already out of fuel now. Luckliy I fueled up around 9am this morning at @2.95 a gallon before the lines started and everyone heard the news that the storm grew to a cat 5. Most of the guys I work with here at Sony Electronics went through Charley and are now talking in the smoke hole they would not sit through another cat. 4 storm again and would evacuate.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Uh oh, I'm going to Cancun next month. LOL been planning that for a year. There is 15 of us going.

I feel so bad for the people in the gulf. This hurricane season has been just terrible.

Stay safe those of you in the gulf.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
Hi All,

Here is a quick update from Dr Jeff Masters blog on weather underground

Hurricane Wilma continues across the western Caribbean towards Mexico as a Category 5 hurricane. The Hurricane Hunters reached the storm at 2:06 pm EDT, and reported a pressure of 892 mb, ten mb higher than the Atlantic record lowest pressure of 882 mb set this morning. The 3:56 pm EDT hurricane eye report showed the same pressure, 892 mb. Peak winds measured at flight level were 141 knots in the southern eyewall, compared to 162 knots measured this morning. Infrared satellite imagery shows that the cloud tops have warmed a bit since this morning, and Wilma is a weaker storm--but still a Category 5 capable of catastrophic damage. The eye diameter measured by the hurricane hunters was still a very tiny 5 nm, and an second concentric eyewall with diameter 10 nm has formed. This indicates that Wilma may soon undergo an eyewall replacement cycle, and will weaken to a Category 4 storm.

Figure 1. Computer model tracks for Hurricane Wilma.

Wilma is startng her eye wall replacement. The tracking models have changed completeley too as this quick blurb from NHC says:

AGREEMENT AMONG THE TRACK GUIDANCE MODELS...WHICH HAD BEEN VERY GOOD
OVER THE PAST COUPLE OF DAYS...HAS COMPLETELY COLLAPSED TODAY. THE
06Z RUNS OF THE GFS...GFDL...AND NOGAPS MODELS ACCELERATED WILMA
RAPIDLY TOWARD NEW ENGLAND UNDER THE INFLUENCE OF A LARGE LOW
PRESSURE SYSTEM IN THE GREAT LAKES REGION.

LINK: NHC 5pm Update

So now there is some uncertainty in the air. Here is a NHC IR pic. The eye is still tiny and quite visible.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Fallen One said: "This is total Crap. I'm supposed to see Cephalic Carnage and The Black Dahlia Murder on Friday. Will I have time to leave?!! I live in Tampa/Pinellas. I hate Florida. Stupid hot sticky hurricane weather."

Do what I do, live by Murphy's Law. Prepare as if the storm is going to hit you dead on. Pack and load up your things, gas up the car, decide where to go, bury the valuables, make out a will. After you go to all that effort, it will miss you. It works for me and has for 60 years. Then you can laugh at Murphy because you beat him at his own game.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Hola Amigos
Here is my report from weather conditions by 4:45 edt in Cancun Mexico.
right now Haze 86°F Feels Like 99°F

UV Index: 1 Low
Wind: From NE at 12 mph
Humidity: 79%
Pressure: 29.78 in.
Dew Point: 79°F
Visibility: 6.0 miles

So far people are taking very serius this Mega Huracan, stores are getting empty.. and everybody is trying to fill up cars with gas..... I all ready had prepare my apartment for Wilma i hope those things stay on...
I will keep posting as far as i can...
take care guys,,,,, wish me good luck !!!

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
NHC 5 DAY TRACT FORECAST 5 PM EDT

...WILMA HAS BEEN MOVING SLIGHTLY TO THE LEFT OR SOUTH OF THE MODEL GUIDANCE...AND
THE LEFT-MOST OF THE GUIDANCE SOLUTIONS ARE NOW SHOWING WILMA
DELAYING OR MISSING THE CONNECTION WITH THE LOW. I HAVE SLOWED THE
OFFICIAL FORECAST JUST A LITTLE BIT AT THIS TIME...BUT IF WILMA
CONTINUES TO MOVE MORE TO THE LEFT THAN EXPECTED...SUBSTANTIAL
CHANGES TO THE OFFICIAL FORECAST MAY HAVE TO BE MADE DOWN THE LINE.
NEEDLESS TO SAY...CONFIDENCE IN THE FORECAST TRACK...ESPECIALLY THE
TIMING...HAS DECREASED CONSIDERABLY.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I have to leave now, but... Buena suerte Jorgecancun

We´ll be thinking on you.

Take care.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Espero que salga todo bien Jorgecancun, bendiciones y cuidate. AS for me, here in Miami, We are on the east coast and all, but this storm is so large that it'll matter little that it's hitting on the west coast. The supermarkets are already out of water, and I'm sure abou the gas stations. Haven't filled up yet. Everyone should keep safe, stock up, leave if you feel safer doing so, and god bless you all. Hope you best of luck.

[edit on 10-19-2005 by WaStEdDeAtH777]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Well looks like were going to sit this one out as long as the path doesnt put the eye much closer to us.

We got 24 gallons of watter just now. Plus will be filling up the bathtubs etc... Also bought some ammo and some food to last up to 5 days in case fema or the military take forever (if we get it bad). House is covered under insurance etc.... Im in a pretty good spot the only downside is I cant board up.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:45 PM
link   
I been thinking, once Wilma goes over the Gulf of Mexico would it get more strength since its going be getting all that heat (sorry if someone said this already since i am in hurry didnt have time to read over the topic)? So from what I know this things going be a monster once it passes into the Gulf of Mexico and also pass over the tropic of cancer. Just my theory though, its gonna be like boooomm and we all gonna be like "dannm".

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join