It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hurricane Wilma - Strongest Hurricane Ever Recorded!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Buy gas cans now and fill them up, you may not be able to get gas later. Pack important papers and take pictures of valuables you are leaving behind for insurance puposes. Don't forget food for pets if you are taking them. Check the hurricane supply thread for things to have on hand if you decide to stay.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Why do these dangerous hurricanes always have to landfall at the weekend?

Or is it just the last few that have made the news and hit at the weekend?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   
www.wunderground.com...

Statement as of 8:00 am EDT on October 19, 2005

...Wilma maintaining category five status...record pressure
confirmed by aircraft crew...
A Hurricane Watch is in effect for the East Coast of the Yucatan
Peninsula from Cabo Catoche to Punta gruesa.

Pressure confirmed.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:16 AM
link   
My 'weather bunni' prediction -

Hits Florida, crosses over, and goes up the east coast,
slamming through New England as at least a three next
weekend - Oct 30th is 'Cabbage Night' in New England.
Also called 'Devils Night'.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 07:30 AM
link   
WTF!!!

I go to bed, it's a Cat 1, I wake up, it's the strongest hurricane ever...

WTF!!!

Guess I'll know over the next couple of days whether I'm flying out... Suck part is, if we did, it'd probably be on Friday, and I'm not sure if that just means I'm screwed on the HHN package tickets I bought if not used or what....(would be $300 out the window)...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Amazing isn't it!!!!
lowest pressure ever recorded!!!!

I really hope these weather guys are right and this thing loses steam before hitting Florida, but right now I'd be worried if I was on the Yucatan Peninsula or in Cuba.

From what I'm hearing around town, is that people are waiting for a warning or watch to be issued before making any more preparations.
But according to one meteorologist here, it might be too late to put up shutters when that time comes because the winds will have already picked up probably to tropical storm force?

Today I'm making sure Granny's shutters are in place just in case. I rather take them down after nothing significant passes thru here than worry about it if I never put them on. I have accordian shutters, so I'll wait till the very last minute before closing them (take 5-10 minutes to do the whole house)

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
My 'weather bunni' prediction -

Hits Florida, crosses over, and goes up the east coast,
slamming through New England as at least a three next
weekend - Oct 30th is 'Cabbage Night' in New England.
Also called 'Devils Night'.

FlyersFan -- sure hoping that weather bunni is a real bad predictor. It might get rid of the pranksters for Halloween but not quite the way I want to do it.

To all our members in the path -- get prepared and stay safe.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
8am Update...

AT 8 AM EDT...1200Z...THE CENTER OF HURRICANE WILMA WAS LOCATED NEAR
LATITUDE 17.2 NORTH...LONGITUDE 82.8 WEST OR ABOUT 340 MILES...
550 KM...SOUTHEAST OF COZUMEL MEXICO.

WILMA IS MOVING TOWARD THE WEST-NORTHWEST NEAR 8 MPH...13 KM/HR. A
TURN TOWARD THE NORTHWEST IS EXPECTED DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 175 MPH...280 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. WILMA IS A POTENTIALLY CATASTROPHIC CATEGORY FIVE HURRICANE
ON THE SAFFIR-SIMPSON SCALE. FLUCTUATIONS IN INTENSITY ARE COMMON
IN HURRICANES THIS INTENSE AND ARE LIKELY DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS.

HURRICANE FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP TO 15 MILES... 30 KM...
FROM THE CENTER...AND TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS EXTEND OUTWARD UP
TO 160 MILES...260 KM.

BASED ON DROPSONDE AND FLIGHT-LEVEL DATA FROM AN AIR FORCE PLANE
JUST RETURNING FROM ITS MISSION IN WILMA...THE MINIMUM CENTRAL
PRESSURE IS ESTIMATED TO BE 882 MB
...26.05 INCHES. THIS IS THE
LOWEST PRESSURE ON RECORD FOR A HURRICANE IN THE ATLANTIC BASIN.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Silvrshadow said: "I seem to be experiencing a borderline obsession with hurricanes here lately. I cant help but feeling like I HAVE to watch all of the developements this season. (I started with Arlene in June) I have watched the developements of the storms for the last 3 years, but nowhere to the level that I am at now. It is a weird realization that I have just now discovered."

I think we all are feeling that obsession but its not a bad thing. As we sit dry and warm in our standing homes far away free from flooding, we sympathize with the victims. Don't see it as anything but good, it is the only way we can share with our fellowman. I wish they could know that, that they are not alone, we are concerned for them and desire to comfort them. We do care.

FEMA did a bad turn by isolating the storm victims. We wanted to cherish them, give them hugs but were prevented. They needed us and FEMA seemed to want to depress them further. I wonder about that.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
WTF!!!

I go to bed, it's a Cat 1, I wake up, it's the strongest hurricane ever...

WTF!!!

lol, almost the same here.
I checked it last night, the winds were up to 110. Now it's the strongest ever!

Simply incredible.

And the eye. So small. You know that hurricane has got to be deep.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 09:56 AM
link   
This seems to be the worst hurricane of the season, a cat. 5 already...

If you are in the path of Wilma, please get prepared, stay safe or, if you can, get out now.

We´ll be watching it development.
Take care

Ptolomeo

Worldwatcher, another hurricane...
I know you managed with the previous one, but, please, take good care of yourself and family and keep us informed.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Holy guacamole Batman, to the bat cave!
I am truelly amazed at this years tropical season.

Hurricane Wilma strongest hurricane on record -reuters

21 Named Storms Ties Record -nasa

tsr.mssl.ucl.ac.uk...

[edit on 19-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:37 AM
link   
I'm more amazed by that track... They're expecting it to take some sharp turn like that? I'm truly puzzled... Not to mention immediately weakening...I doubt it....

Looking at the sat pics, it looks like it will hit far more north than their projection....which is bad for me... Even if they are right though, this will mean some nasty weather for us...

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:56 AM
link   
1st..To all the folks in this monsters path..I wish you all the luck in the world that you and your familys will remain safe..

2nd..Please pardon my ignorance. But could someone explain to this lay person how in the heck this thing cranked it self up so fast..I to fallow the weather seasons..(all be it on the weather channel) and even to me this seems almost unreal..
Like someone else said..I went to bed and this morning it was a totally differant storm.
THank you in advance for the help.

Once again to the folks in its path..please take care and get your selves ready..you are going to be on your own for awhile..

Coho

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 10:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
I'm more amazed by that track... They're expecting it to take some sharp turn like that? I'm truly puzzled... Not to mention immediately weakening...I doubt it....

Looking at the sat pics, it looks like it will hit far more north than their projection....which is bad for me... Even if they are right though, this will mean some nasty weather for us...

Models have been holding pretty steady with a Florida landfall, Gazrok. I have llittle reason to doubt the hard eastern turn, since it's been showing up on several runs. Keep in mind that this far out, almost the whole state is in the cone of error.
www.skeetobiteweather.com...
euler.atmos.colostate.edu...

Wilma Will Devastate South Florida!

Wilma: A New England Catastrophe?

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:16 AM
link   
[edit] never mind, that sounded really snotty[edit]

still, looks like she could see eye to eye with Katrina in damages. Good luck florida.

to all our members there, dont make the mistake that katrina victims did, get the hell outta there before its too late.

thats all i can say.

--Kit.

[edit on 19/10/2005 by Kitsunegari]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cohorun
But could someone explain to this lay person how in the heck this thing cranked it self up so fast..I to fallow the weather seasons..(all be it on the weather channel) and even to me this seems almost unreal.

It was an ideal enviroment for rapid strengthening, still caught me by surprise too.

Wilma's pressure drop:
Tues 8AM 980mb
Wed 8AM 882mb
98mb difference in 24 hours, which broke the Atlantic record.
(Edit: revised calculation to fit new data.)

This article sums up the answers to your ?'s pretty well, Coho:
Hurricane Wilma Sets New Benchmark!

Typhoon Forrest in September 1983 in the Northwest Pacific Ocean deepened by 100 mb (976 to 876 mb) in just under 24 hr (Roger Edson, personal communication). Estimated surface sustained winds increased a maximum of 15 m/s (30 kt, 35 mph) in 6 hr and 44 m/s (85 kt, 98 mph) in one day (from 33 to 77 m/s [65 to 150 kt, 75 to 173 mph]).

In the Atlantic Hurricane Gilbert went from 960 mb to 888 mb in a 24 hour period for a 3 mb/hr pressure drop. The winds went from 57 to 82 m/s (110 kt to 160 kt, 127 mph to 184 mph) in that 24 hour period. And Hurricane Beulah in 1967 underwent a 6.33 mb/hr drop over a six hour period.

[edit on 19-10-2005 by Regenmacher]

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Thank you for the article..

Coho

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Models have been holding pretty steady with a Florida landfall, Gazrok. I have llittle reason to doubt the hard eastern turn, since it's been showing up on several runs. Keep in mind that this far out, almost the whole state is in the cone of error.

Oh, I agree on a FL landfall, just that looking at everything, a hit near the curve of the panhandle seems more likely... I agree with a turn, but I just don't see that kind of sharp turn they're expecting. They've been getting better at this though.... Believe me, I'm well aware that no matter where this thing appears to be heading, we won't know till she's closer, so preparation is a given.

posted on Oct, 19 2005 @ 11:34 AM
link   
Gaz, please stay safe. Good luck to you and yours.

As well as any other members who may be in the path.

Please dont be stupid with this, guys. If its projected to hit near you, just leave. You've all seen what happens when people don't leave in time, please don't let it happen to you!

--Kit.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join